Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

TL-FH10 tool dimensions needed (DA7400 freehub body remover)

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-23-15, 10:09 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts

[Skip this background paragraph if you want to cut to the chase below.] As you may know if you're reading this thread, the Dura Ace 7400 cassette hub is unique. Rather than being removed with a simple 10mm Allen wrench like most Shimano bodies, these bodies thread into the hub shell and can only be removed with a special Shimano TL-FH10 tool that is no longer available. These hubs are not compatible with anything else but are compatible with eachother. So for example, you may have a 28 hole hub with a Uniglide-only body that you want to swap a Hyperglide-compatible body onto.

Long story short, I want this tool but it's almost impossible to find. I have access to a machine shop that could make one for me but I don't know the dimensions. Does anyone have one of these tools they could measure for me? I would need the diameters of both shafts and the spline width/length/height. I also need to know the number of splines but I could figure that out from cracking open a hub.

This is a picture of the tool in question:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TL-FH10 DA7400 tool.jpg (89.6 KB, 537 views)
Old 02-23-15, 10:54 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm going to a bike shop this week to use one of these. I could measure it for you. But I do have this drawing, because I considered having one fabricated as well.

Old 02-23-15, 11:20 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

If you could get measurements it would be much appreciated. If it works I could get a couple made and send you one as a thank-you. Measurements from a micrometer are best but a decent set of calipers would probably be good enough.

Worst case, next time I'm buying spokes at Yellow Jersey bike shop in Arlington WI (formerly in Madison WI) I'll ask if I can measure one of theirs. I'd be very surprised if they don't have one.
Old 02-23-15, 11:49 AM
Jiggle

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I was going to measure to +/- 0.001" and model it up in Solidworks. Good enough?

God, I hope someone doesn't beat me to it. I'd love to have one.
Old 02-23-15, 12:17 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Perfect! I use SolidWorks as well.
Old 03-04-15, 02:05 AM
kasperbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
If you could get measurements it would be much appreciated. If it works I could get a couple made and send you one as a thank-you. Measurements from a micrometer are best but a decent set of calipers would probably be good enough.

Worst case, next time I'm buying spokes at Yellow Jersey bike shop in Arlington WI (formerly in Madison WI) I'll ask if I can measure one of theirs. I'd be very surprised if they don't have one.
Hello.
Did you manage to get the measurements? Even model it up? I want to have one made as well. I found this image on the web with measurements. Are they close to yours?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TL-FH10_1.jpg (60.2 KB, 532 views)
Old 03-04-15, 10:56 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Originally Posted by kasperbs
Hello.
Did you manage to get the measurements? Even model it up? I want to have one made as well. I found this image on the web with measurements. Are they close to yours?
I have not gotten measurements yet so I have no idea if those are correct.
Old 06-02-15, 01:55 PM
idontevencare

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guy, sorry to bump this up but hope I can help.
This dude has done the same thing: TL-FH10 7400 JZbgt[ fG[X page is in Japanese but the pictures are clear enough.
I've tried welding up a 4-way tool with bolt head for drive and the thing was stuck tight enough that the steel bar was bent. I'm going to attempt grinding down a 14mm allen key as shown and hopefully I can get the freehub off for a service. Anyway good luck.
Old 06-03-15, 05:13 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I have an extra one of these if you need it. PM me.
Old 06-10-15, 12:48 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Thanks to wesmamyke I am now the happy owner of this tool. I can confirm that the measurements in post #6 are accurate but they leave out the critical "minor diameter" of the splines. This diameter is 13.03mm which means that each spline is 0.84mm tall.

If anyone wants, I can draw this part in SolidWorks (which can then be saved with various file types) if you want to have one made.
Old 12-22-16, 08:37 PM
xtownbeantown
Idiot

Bikes: Montagues (3 of them right now)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Machining tool?

Hi, are you still thinking about machining this tool? I'd be interested in paying for one, honestly, if you have an idea of what that would look like.

Alternatively, I guess if I could get my hands on the specs then I could find someplace else to do the machining, but I'd have to do time research first.

Sorry, I would've PMed you but I'm not allowed to, apparently.
Old 12-23-16, 10:05 AM
Jiggle

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I completely forgot I had worked on this. I modeled it up, machined some stainless steel bar stock, gave my wrench a twist and promptly sheared off every lug. Said screw-this and tossed everything in the trash. I was having a bad day. Should have machined it out of 4340 then heat treated. oh well.
Old 12-31-16, 03:22 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Here is how I remove these freehubs: Crack the outer race on the freehub. Reverse threaded. Remove everything but the inner freehub core. This includes the pawls and pawl springs.

Then wrap the core with something to protect it, as you are going to put the core in a bench vise. Then unwind the core the same way you'd remove a freewheel.
Old 01-01-17, 06:25 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Another find from the depths of the toolbox. Never used.
TL-FH10_1.JPG

TL-FH10_2.JPG
Old 10-13-19, 11:21 PM
Maccmahon

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you still have this tool? I know I am a few years late, but it is worth a shot. If anyone has the removal tool, please let me know.
Old 10-14-19, 07:49 AM
xtownbeantown
Idiot

Bikes: Montagues (3 of them right now)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maccmahon
Do you still have this tool? I know I am a few years late, but it is worth a shot. If anyone has the removal tool, please let me know.
I have this tool now actually. Also have a DA/Mavic Open wheelset that I swapped the Uniglide freehub out and installed a Hyperglide one onto if you're interested in both or either of these things. (I kept the wheelset but ended up going with all 559mm wheels because I'm pretty short.) I can't seem to send any direct messages but don't hesitate to send one to me. Otherwise feel free to reply here and maybe we can find another way to get in touch.
Old 11-08-19, 03:44 PM
Markoshawn

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xtownbeantown
I have this tool now actually. Also have a DA/Mavic Open wheelset that I swapped the Uniglide freehub out and installed a Hyperglide one onto if you're interested in both or either of these things. (I kept the wheelset but ended up going with all 559mm wheels because I'm pretty short.) I can't seem to send any direct messages but don't hesitate to send one to me. Otherwise feel free to reply here and maybe we can find another way to get in touch.
I have the same wheelset and would like to convert it to Hyperglide. Do you have some hints on how you did this? Did you just take the outer shell off of the freehub and put a Huperglide outer shell on similiar to the way you can convert a non DA uniglide?

Thanks, Mark O
Old 11-08-19, 08:43 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
If you have the 3D model, you could 3D print it in Steel-bronze mixture from Shapeways. From the size of it, I assume it would cost about $30-40. It has a +/-1mm accuracy though because it comes out as a "green" soft clump of powder glued together, then they heat it in an oven to melt the glue and infuse the bronze. I used this method for printing my FD adapter. This material is kind of brittle though, they warn not to use this for structural loads. The aluminum print is stronger and has a +/-0.2mm accuracy since it is laser sintered aluminum powder, but costs twice as much as the steel-bronze.

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel
https://www.shapeways.com/materials/aluminum

You can also get it CNC machined with Protolabs, the part is small, so it's usually the minimum $100 cost. Done in 3 days.
https://www.protolabs.com/
Old 09-20-20, 09:36 PM
rhbroad

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
If you have the 3D model, you could 3D print it in Steel-bronze mixture from Shapeways. From the size of it, I assume it would cost about $30-40.
Which begs the question: is there a link to the 3D file?
Old 09-21-20, 12:56 PM
Barry2 
LRP=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
Did you find this..... post #16 regarding removal

Barry
Old 08-09-22, 07:38 PM
jamesteoh8177

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
Thanks to wesmamyke I am now the happy owner of this tool. I can confirm that the measurements in post #6 are accurate but they leave out the critical "minor diameter" of the splines. This diameter is 13.03mm which means that each spline is 0.84mm tall.

If anyone wants, I can draw this part in SolidWorks (which can then be saved with various file types) if you want to have one made.
Hi there,

Can you share this file in PDF?
Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards...