Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Verve2 WSD 2014

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek Verve2 WSD 2014

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-16, 12:17 PM
clee33

Bikes: Trek 7200, Trek Verve 2, Trek FX 7.3, Cannondale R500 Triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Verve2 WSD 2014

Hi all.

I purchased this bike last year. I like it, but it's nothing like my 7200 (which is the earlier model). It's much lighter, and more compact. However, I notice when I turn a corner, if I turn sharply, my pedal scrapes on the ground, and that's never happened to me with any of my other bikes (I have four).

I just want to know, does this happen to anyone? I really don't think it's an adjustment matter, but I'll take all suggestions and comments!

Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-29-16, 02:24 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by clee33
Hi all.

I purchased this bike last year. I like it, but it's nothing like my 7200 (which is the earlier model). It's much lighter, and more compact. However, I notice when I turn a corner, if I turn sharply, my pedal scrapes on the ground, and that's never happened to me with any of my other bikes (I have four).

I just want to know, does this happen to anyone? I really don't think it's an adjustment matter, but I'll take all suggestions and comments!

Thanks a bunch!
It could be longer crank arms and lower bottom bracket . The general rule is "pedal up" when cornering .
Old 06-29-16, 03:56 PM
clee33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not my pedaling I can assure you that because it never happens on my other bikes. I'm going to see if I can get shorter crank arms. That may be the answer. Thanks!
Old 06-29-16, 04:22 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
It's not my pedaling I can assure you that because it never happens on my other bikes. I'm going to see if I can get shorter crank arms. That may be the answer. Thanks!
If your inside pedal is up when you turn, your pedal won't scrape the ground.
Old 06-30-16, 09:22 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Hi all.

Thanks a bunch!
At first I thought "comfort bike" = low and forward bottom bracket for foot-on-ground at red lights but the geo chart shows as rather high number

Another factor with pedal strike is the pedal shape. Tall pedals hit the ground sooner than skinny "low stack" or "low profile" ones. Pedals that stick out more also hit the ground earlier. Wide cranks (high Q factor) also lead to increased pedal strike.

Try actually measuring your different bike's bottom bracket heights. If there is no difference, look at crank width and pedal shape.

Don't let the pedal strike by ratcheting or pausing for a fraction of a sec, but there are benefits to weighting the outside pedal. It depends, and there is more than one way to take a corner. Another thing is that I notice that I lean my compact frames more than my bigger frames
Old 07-02-16, 01:17 PM
clee33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to take it in and see if I can change it. It happens a lot, and it's unusual. Thanks again!