Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Bad Boy 1 or BMC alpenchallenge ac01 IGH

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 02:54 PM
KevinGattler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

if you compare the components of this 2 which one is the better option for quick rides to work and also a fun day in the park?

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bik...d-06871c31710d

alpenchallenge AC01 IGH Alfine 8 ? lifestyle ? BMC Switzerland

Thanks!
Old 04-03-16, 05:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Why so decision challenged?
Old 04-04-16, 12:01 PM
KevinGattler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
what you mean?
Old 04-04-16, 12:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Because so many people do this.. You are just another one .. If You got that kind of money to burn through, what do you need my Opinion For ?

OK Here it Is: single sided fork You are really Boned if you need to borrow a front wheel .. after you damaged Yours ..
Old 04-04-16, 12:28 PM
KevinGattler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because so many people do this.. You are just another one .. If You got that kind of money to burn through, what do you need my Opinion For ?

OK Here it Is: single sided fork You are really Boned if you need to borrow a front wheel .. after you damaged Yours ..
I dont understand your attitude. Ive been saving money for a new bike for some time now and Im trying to get as much information I can to help me to avoid a bad decision.
This Forum is for helping each other or not??
Thanks for the tip with the wheel, is the kind of information Im hoping to receive things I didnt thing of.
Old 04-04-16, 02:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Get real secure Locks , so you dont have it taken in the first Year.
Old 04-04-16, 05:02 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Kind of rude replies to the OP. Here is something a little calmer...what fits you best? Which one feels better? Components are one thing but you have to decide for yourself.
Old 04-04-16, 06:09 PM
RickGr4

Bikes: 2016 Giant Fastroad CoMax 2, 2002 Jamis Tangier, Classic Nakamichi 10 speed.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you are being a bit rude to the OP. He has already narrowed it down to two bikes and needs a final push. I see nothing wrong with that.

Where I have an issue is the people that jump into this forum and ask "which bike should I buy" and then provide very little additional information.

That being said, I see the Cannondale lists for $1,840. I did not see a price for the BMC I am guessing it is similar. I haven't shopped for a new bike for roughly a year now but that seems like an awful lot of money for a bike with an aluminum frame...

Last edited by RickGr4; 04-04-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 06:25 PM
KevinGattler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yashinon
Kind of rude replies to the OP. Here is something a little calmer...what fits you best? Which one feels better? Components are one thing but you have to decide for yourself.
Hi,

i have to test them before I know which one fits me best but I have to wait for my dealer to get them so in the mean time I just wanted some first hand experience from users who happens to own one of them or tried them.
From the looks I really like the BB and I think the breaks are also better and the damper of course, what I miss is a Belt Drive and im not sure if the lefty makes it easier to steel the front wheel. I will be using an Abus uGrip Plus 501.
One more criteria is which one is compatible with a weeride baby seat.
https://www.amazon.com/WeeRide-Kangar...ywords=weeride
Old 04-04-16, 06:28 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Personally the Bad Boy is the best looking Hybrid in existence.
Old 04-05-16, 05:03 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Although my Bad Boy is very old compared to what you are looking at, I couldn't be happier with mine. I have heard from an owner of a later model with the single blade fork that his had issues in wet weather with water in the bearings. I don't know if this is isolated.
Old 04-05-16, 05:26 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Both bikes have something interesting but I wouldn't choose either one. But that is not important. Let's just focus on those two. ... when I returned to cycling my first bike was Scott Sub 10 with Belt Drive. I am a bleeding edge first adopter type and generally open to new ideas. The belt drive never really kept my interest for too long. Mainly due to the (for me) relatively complicated flat repair time. Second due to the feel of belt vs chain. I hate to say this but chain feels better. Having said that. On the other bike the single fork is kind of meh for my senses. Knowing the microscopic deviations that could cause slight rub in the disc brake and the sound of it drives me crazy, I would be more skeptical of the single fork. But since I have no first hand experience I'd defer these opinions to those who do.

Both bikes look kind of cool for city riding, both have closed hubs to protect during winter riding if that is what you will also do.

The bad boy has a cool looking handlebar reflector.

If i HAD to make a decision I would probably go with the BMC but only if I could convert to tubeless.
Old 04-05-16, 05:35 AM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bad boy all the way. More one of a kind bike and will be easyer to sell later
Old 04-05-16, 08:30 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
If looks are important, the C bike is it. If you are practical and see suspension as an unnecessary expense, extra maintenance, and dont like proprietary forks and wheels, go B.
Old 04-05-16, 10:01 AM
KevinGattler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I just came back from the bike shop. I tested both bikes and bought the bmc.
I liked both bikes but the bmc was a little smoother and more relaxed Bad Boy is like the name says a little too aggressiv for me its maybe belt vs. chain??!
It was a gut decision but I think I made the right choise....

Thanks for the help
Old 04-05-16, 10:35 PM
als2775

Bikes: BMC alpenchallenge AC01 IGH8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just saw this thread otherwise I would have put my $.02 in earlier.

Congrats! I have a 2014 BMC and I love mine. I did a lot of research prior to my purchase. Yes, there are definitely better values out there but the BMC just checked all the boxes for me.
Old 04-06-16, 01:22 AM
KevinGattler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the Geometry of the Bike the Same as the 2016 Model?

im not sure which frame size is the best fit.
At the shop only m was available and it was a tad too big but I didn't have the chance to compare with a small size frame. I ordered S but now I'm not sure anymore.
My height: 166cm
Leg length: 75cm

Geometry is at the bottom
Old 04-06-16, 06:34 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,193 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinGattler
Is the Geometry of the Bike the Same as the 2016 Model?

im not sure which frame size is the best fit.
At the shop only m was available and it was a tad too big but I didn't have the chance to compare with a small size frame. I ordered S but now I'm not sure anymore.
My height: 166cm
Leg length: 75cm

Geometry is at the bottom
Based on what you say, a Medium in that bike is definitely too large; wrong fit. You should be on the Small at 166 height/75 inseam (assuming the latter is your true cycling inseam). At 173 height/83 cycling inseam, the Medium would be the correct fit for me, for example.

That said, one thing: assuming the BB you test rode was your size in that bike, the 'less aggressive' feel you got with the BMC might have been caused by its being too large for you -- sitting you more upright. This is common, and a common reason that people buy bikes a 'size' too large for them. That position may feel better/more relaxed at first, but as you gain fitness you might find it limiting. However, you might find that the correctly sized BMC feels just as 'aggressive' as the C'dale at first.

If I were you, I'd try to have the shop bring in the Small (BMC) for you to try again, w/o obligation to buy, alongside the C'dale, just to be sure.
Old 04-06-16, 09:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Mean You cannot test ride either Bike& So this is just another online sighted shopping hamster wheel.
Old 04-06-16, 01:03 PM
KevinGattler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Based on what you say, a Medium in that bike is definitely too large; wrong fit. You should be on the Small at 166 height/75 inseam (assuming the latter is your true cycling inseam). At 173 height/83 cycling inseam, the Medium would be the correct fit for me, for example.

That said, one thing: assuming the BB you test rode was your size in that bike, the 'less aggressive' feel you got with the BMC might have been caused by its being too large for you -- sitting you more upright. This is common, and a common reason that people buy bikes a 'size' too large for them. That position may feel better/more relaxed at first, but as you gain fitness you might find it limiting. However, you might find that the correctly sized BMC feels just as 'aggressive' as the C'dale at first.

If I were you, I'd try to have the shop bring in the Small (BMC) for you to try again, w/o obligation to buy, alongside the C'dale, just to be sure.
Today I was at the shop again and he just received a new ac01 in small after a test ride and some measurements he told me that its possible to ride both S or M because im in between but S would be a better fit because of the reason you already mentioned. BB would be available in 2 weeks I didnt want to wait that long and I like the bmc more so he proceeded with the previous order and I should receive my bike in a few days
Old 04-11-16, 07:15 AM
martynaaas

Bikes: Cube Editor

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're willing to spend that amount of money, I would also recommend looking into Avanti Inc 2. For some reason, they're not as popular as other bike manufacturers even though their Inc 2 is a top of a line hybrid with everything you will ever need. And on top of that, I think it looks way better than most hybrids today (I guess this depends on a taste but if you're into minimal, sleek black design - you'll love this).
Old 05-10-17, 12:41 AM
Mutlu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also chose the BMC over the Bad Boy 1, as I was able to fit on the BMC medium, but would have had to take the small in the Bad Boy, which does not look as good as the other sizes...in my opinion.