Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Adductor and cleat rotatio/position

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-20, 10:31 AM
3dbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I often suffer from fatigued adductors. How can the position of the cleats (rotation, retraction) affect adductor fatigue? For example, does advancing the cleats stress the adductors more?
Old 10-03-20, 01:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I wouldn't think cleat position is going to affect them much. Perhaps you just do like many and use to high a gear. You are essentially just wearing yourself out. Shift to a lower gear ratio. I was out walking the trail today and saw many a newb cyclist struggling to climb the simplest of hills because they would not shift to a lower gear.

If you are going to feel anything from cleat position, I'd think it would be in your lower leg and ankles.
Old 10-03-20, 02:06 PM
3dbiker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
I wouldn't think cleat position is going to affect them much. Perhaps you just do like many and use to high a gear. You are essentially just wearing yourself out. Shift to a lower gear ratio. I was out walking the trail today and saw many a newb cyclist struggling to climb the simplest of hills because they would not shift to a lower gear.

If you are going to feel anything from cleat position, I'd think it would be in your lower leg and ankles.
I seem to have read that the rotation of the cleats can affect the fatigue of the adductors
Old 10-03-20, 08:17 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 3dbiker
I often suffer from fatigued adductors. How can the position of the cleats (rotation, retraction) affect adductor fatigue? For example, does advancing the cleats stress the adductors more?
I'm not sure if my situation is at all related to yours, but; I used to have left hip pain after a long ride such that I could barely stand on my left leg because my hip hurt so bad. My left knee does not track parallel to the bike in a perfect vertical circle. The knee at the top of the pedal stroke is probably tilted 15 to 20 degrees or so away from the bike. What primarily fixed my situation was to change to +4mm pedal axels and adding a 1mm washer to each pedal, for a total extension of +5mm on each pedal.

Other changes I made to help left leg/foot pain/numbness were moving the cleats all the way back (foot forward on the pedal) and shimming my left cleat by 2 degrees. All these changes came from my Specialized Retul fit in Boulder in January. I use Shimano yellow cleats that are centered as to float.

I think the primary benefit was changing to the +5mm pedals (including the 1mm washer). In other words, an increased Q factor. Abnormal hip pain is now gone.

Glenn
Old 10-03-20, 11:25 PM
3dbiker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GAtkins
I'm not sure if my situation is at all related to yours, but; I used to have left hip pain after a long ride such that I could barely stand on my left leg because my hip hurt so bad. My left knee does not track parallel to the bike in a perfect vertical circle. The knee at the top of the pedal stroke is probably tilted 15 to 20 degrees or so away from the bike. What primarily fixed my situation was to change to +4mm pedal axels and adding a 1mm washer to each pedal, for a total extension of +5mm on each pedal.

Other changes I made to help left leg/foot pain/numbness were moving the cleats all the way back (foot forward on the pedal) and shimming my left cleat by 2 degrees. All these changes came from my Specialized Retul fit in Boulder in January. I use Shimano yellow cleats that are centered as to float.

I think the primary benefit was changing to the +5mm pedals (including the 1mm washer). In other words, an increased Q factor. Abnormal hip pain is now gone.

Glenn
Ok tanks ;-)