Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1989 Bridgestone RB2 Repaint Dilemma

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20, 02:51 PM
zach_berger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all - I have come to the bike forums because I am stuck on what to do with my Bridgestone. I recently purchased the frame and fork and made a project out of building it into a revived road bike with modern parts. I want to do it right though and go through the time and effort to make the bike look pretty.

So, I have disassembled it all to get it ready for a respray. The bike as a whole is in great condition and could be rode as is, but there are some obvious spots that need help. Here's the tough part. I don't know what to do to respray it. I know powder coating is great and tough, but then I'd lose the original decals (which I love) and the lugs wouldn't look nearly as good as powder coating is thick. A paint finish would look better but not be as tough, and again, I'd lose the original decals.

I have found RB2 decals online, but they aren't in the original cursive like my '89 is in. I guess option three is touch up paint to cover the bad spots but obviously that won't be as nice as a full respray. But at least then I can keep the decals. So there's that issue. Also, anyone have thoughts on changing the color? I originally wanted to respray it to a Porsche color, Arena Red. But, it is my first couple weeks seeing the bike in person as I bought it sight unseen and the color (sort of a turquoise color) has really grown on me. Any advice on either issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Note: I'd post a photo but since I am new it is saying I can't do so until I have 10 posts. :-(
Old 11-29-20, 03:03 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2927 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,490 Posts
Welcome to the forums. There has been much philosophizing on the subject

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-29-20, 03:10 PM
zach_berger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Didn't know I was going down a wormhole here oh well hopefully something will be figured it
Old 11-29-20, 05:29 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 510 Posts
Before you make a decision on painting, I would build the bike up to make sure it fits and you like the ride. After that, it's up to you how you want to proceed. But having done a couple, painting is a lot of work to do right.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 11-29-20, 05:44 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I just asked the powdercoat guys to make the coat thin. I think it turned out well.
Likes For Marylander:
Old 12-02-20, 11:26 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
Before you make a decision on painting,
I would build the bike up to make sure it fits and you like the ride.
After that, it's up to you how you want to proceed.
But having done a couple, painting is a lot of work to do right.
+1
This
Redundant.

If it fits and rides well, and you decide to keep it, then you decide on decorating.
Currently, you have a choice. Choose while you can.

Powdercoating is protection-oriented, appearance secondary.
+ Cheaper
+ More durable
+ Can look very good
+ Decals can be applied over.
+/- Is an industrial process, not a craft.
+/- Can take clearcoat over decals, but tends to look much thicker.
- Loses some definition on lugs and lines
- Can go horribly wrong (runs/thick)
- Hard to remove.

Painting is appearance-oriented, protection secondary.
+ Looks better
+ Closer to OEM
+ Decals can be applied over
+ More amenable to clear coat over decals
+ Is a craft
- Less durable
- A lot more expensive done right
- Requires skill
- Is a craft.

My general approach is, "Am I or the eventual owner going to ride it hard and not worry?" Then powdercoat. $ 1x.
These always go to the person who "just wants a bike to ride."

My general approach is "Is this a keeper for artistic and craft value, or will I sell it as such? Then paint. $ 5x.
These go to pickier people who are more about the bike itself.

I saved enough $ by powdercoating to soup it up a bit. $75. I asked the powdercoater what was thin.
His truck wheels were this color, they looked great, and the color was close to 6800 Ultegra.
The fork is now a Look. Looks better.

I did not save a dime on this, in a real sense. It's painted.
Few powdercoaters would do this, but it's still not much more detailed than the powdercoat.
Now belongs to Spaghetti Legs .
As a caveat, he is not "all about the bike." He rides 'em like they're powdercoated.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-02-20 at 11:35 AM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-02-20, 06:39 PM
zach_berger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very pretty bikes! I like both coats and colors! I think I have decided to, as both of you suggested, build it up first. I also took it to an LBS and they suggested the same thing, actually even one step further! They said don't paint it at all, and I am with them. It would save money, the bike right now is in great shape, and I'm starting to feel like the little dings and marks is just my bike proudly wearing its 31 years of being on the road. And, of course, I get to keep the sweet '89 cursive RB2 and Synergy decals which still look factory fresh. Hopefully I'll get building in a week or two as final parts and tools roll in. For a little taste, I like old things matched with new parts to bring them up to modern 'performance' standards. Think an old '70s Porsche 911 with some modern motorsport tech under the skin. I love the mix of old and new. And I'm bringing the same ethos to the B-stone. It'll still wear its classic steel frame, but it'll be matched with all modern Campagnolo components. A mostly full Potenza groupset, Athena carbon crankset, Chorus brakes, and Zonda C17 wheels. Some will hate it. I will love it. For the type of riding I'll be doing, I'm thinking it'll be mostly my exercise/training bike. But, I could easily see it become a stylish, good-weather commuter some point down the line. As long as I can bring it inside to stare at it
Old 12-03-20, 08:19 AM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Good decision! Paint problems that look horrible on a bare frame may not look as bad when the bike is built up. You may want to consider touching up the bad spots as a compromise.
Old 12-03-20, 08:30 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
As usual, RobbieTunes gives some great insight and even shows examples of what is possible. The idea that powder coating "necessarily" obscures detail in frames is overblown in my opinion. Just make sure the applicator knows what your expectations are.

The other thing is to put aside any parts that you are "upgrading" or "updating". You may want to restore it to "as bought" condition someday.

As time goes on I am appreciating patina more and more. Shouldn't older bikes look older? Shouldn't they look as though they've been used? I used to obsess over every scratch, but now I'm a little more chill about it. I'm not saying there aren't instances where a complete repaint aren't necessary, I'm talking about bikes whose paint is 90% perfect and decals are intact. Just touch up anything that could lead to structural issues down the road and leave the rest.

Not being able to get the decals you really want may end up being the deciding factor here.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-03-20, 10:07 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by zach_berger
think I have decided to, as both of you suggested, build it up first. I also took it to an LBS and they suggested the same thing, actually even one step further! They said don't paint it at all, and I am with them. It would save money, the bike right now is in great shape, and I'm starting to feel like the little dings and marks is just my bike proudly wearing its 31 years of being on the road. And, of course, I get to keep the sweet '89 cursive RB2 and Synergy decals which still look factory fresh. Hopefully I'll get building in a week or two as final parts and tools roll in. For a little taste, I like old things matched with new parts to bring them up to modern 'performance' standards. Think an old '70s Porsche 911 with some modern motorsport tech under the skin. I love the mix of old and new. And I'm bringing the same ethos to the B-stone. It'll still wear its classic steel frame, but it'll be matched with all modern Campagnolo components. A mostly full Potenza groupset, Athena carbon crankset, Chorus brakes, and Zonda C17 wheels. Some will hate it. I will love it. For the type of riding I'll be doing, I'm thinking it'll be mostly my exercise/training bike. But, I could easily see it become a stylish, good-weather commuter some point down the line. As long as I can bring it inside to stare at it
Congratulations!

Part of the problem is having a "vision" for what you want- and it generally doesn't include previous wear and tear. Or any wear and tear. The fact that the bike shop was trying to talk you out of it is another really good sign- The only thing you really need to be concerned about is bare metal. I'm of the school of 'a bad paint match is worse than just clearing over' so just get clear nail polish over the chip.

I hope you've spent time in the 'retro roadie' thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...i-s-ergos.html. Tons of great ideas.

Congratulations again and good luck.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 12-03-20, 05:36 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by zach_berger
I think I have decided to, as both of you suggested, build it up first. I also took it to an LBS and they suggested the same thing, actually even one step further! They said don't paint it at all, and I am with them. It would save money, the bike right now is in great shape, and I'm starting to feel like the little dings and marks is just my bike proudly wearing its 31 years of being on the road. And, of course, I get to keep the sweet '89 cursive RB2 and Synergy decals which still look factory fresh. Hopefully I'll get building in a week or two as final parts and tools roll in.
Solid choice. If you wanted to clean/polish the frame before building it up you maybe even happier with the existing paint finish. Checkout the last two clean/polish videos by Spindatt on Youtube.
Likes For bOsscO: