Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Front Derailleur Esoteric Quest

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Front Derailleur Esoteric Quest

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 09:55 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
mtb's have higher bottom bracket, so it's easy for a longer cage to clear the stay when/if using smaller rings on them
Old 01-24-21, 11:22 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I did check the Tiagra a lot more tonight and I think I might have to cancel my order for the derailleurs, they might not work at all. The 4700 tiagra der I do have, like several other random, more modern ders, has an offset to the front and rear plates that would not allow plates to be screwed together at an alternate location like an older style might. However the plates, in part due to thickness and in part due to shaping are incredibly stiff compared to a number of older ders that I have. Makes me wonder if just cutting and shaping wouldn't have enough stiffness. The back plate has two widely spaced connection points plenty of shaping to make it stiff for pushing and the front plate is pulling where it is strongest. I'd suspect the upshift would be where it might have the most trouble and if Gavenelle doesn't come up with more shifters I might have to test out the new disc sander and the grinder and find out just how stiff the der is without the sides connected.
Old 01-25-21, 12:38 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Makes me wonder if just cutting and shaping wouldn't have enough stiffness.
Works fine for me. (36t big ring) I'm using mtb rings so they have aggressive ramps.

Old 01-25-21, 11:00 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
3 front * 7 cogs * 3 IGH, I presume? Cool! This reminds me of Charlie Harding's 90-speed bike, on display in his Westwood (Los Angeles) shop in the 1970s. I think he went 3x6 derailleur gears with a 5-speed IGH.
That's 63. I'm guessing 3 front x 9 rear x 3 IHG = 81 = no reason for it on that bike.

Reasons for an IHG with cogs:
- No front derailleur so can use a chainguard.
- Needs a tall overdrive because of tiny wheels, like a Brompton.
- Needs an ultra-low granny because pedaling a recumbent towing a heavy trailer up hills.
Old 01-26-21, 06:37 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
That's 63. I'm guessing 3 front x 9 rear x 3 IHG = 81 = no reason for it on that bike.

Reasons for an IHG with cogs:
- No front derailleur so can use a chainguard.
- Needs a tall overdrive because of tiny wheels, like a Brompton.
- Needs an ultra-low granny because pedaling a recumbent towing a heavy trailer up hills.
You left out:
- Because I feel like it.