Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

"Credit Card" Tours in Summer 2021? Waddya Think?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

"Credit Card" Tours in Summer 2021? Waddya Think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21, 07:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Was that part of my torn underwear thread that you won't let me forget?
Before that.

The simple fact of the matter is that you can either adapt or stay home. I would have liked to use the hot tub at one hotel I stayed at in September, but it was closed. I still enjoyed my ride. I would have liked to have a breakfast buffet the next morning, but instead I had to accept a grab and go breakfast bag. I still enjoyed my ride. I camped most nights and avoided using the restrooms at popular times, but I still enjoyed my ride.

If you wouldn’t enjoy a trip without being able to do what’s normal for you than don’t do a trip. Personally, I’d rather adapt than stay home and dream about what might have been because I couldn’t bring myself to make some changes.

Last edited by indyfabz; 01-29-21 at 07:45 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-29-21, 10:05 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
...If you wouldn’t enjoy a trip without being able to do what’s normal for you than don’t do a trip. Personally, I’d rather adapt than stay home and dream about what might have been because I couldn’t bring myself to make some changes.
Yeah, that's what I did in 2020. If it's the best I can do in 2021, it'll have to be enough.
Old 01-29-21, 11:09 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
It's extra frustrating because, at 58, I am starting to see the end of my "touring" days. Also, my overnighters were always planned around my wife's weekend retreats, where she went away to a meditation center and I took off for my own meditation on the bike. I doubt those retreats are coming back for her anytime soon, so going away without her will be kind of awkward.
I was 64 when my wife and I rode across the U.S., averaging over 50 miles a day for 74 consecutive days. We did this ride when we were still working. Our last long tour in 2019 was 1500 miles and I was only 76. We plan on finishing our ride across Canada,Toronto to Halifax, next summer. Since our retirement in 2011 we have have ridden about 22,000 miles of bike touring, riding through 11 countries.

I'm not telling you this to brag (well, maybe a just little), but to show you that you don't have to sell you bike when you turn 60-- buck up!

P.S. If your wife would be interested in riding a bike, design a ride that she would enjoy, and ride it together.

Last edited by Doug64; 01-29-21 at 11:37 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 01-30-21, 07:57 AM
Papa Tom

Wow, am I sorry I made that comment about being 58 and seeing the end of my touring days! I totally understand that 58 is not the time to pack away the bicycle, and I hope I can ride until the day I drop; however, because of some commitments coming down the line that will keep me close to home for a number of years, I don't see my opportunities to get out and tour increasing any time soon.
Old 01-30-21, 12:44 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Wow, am I sorry I made that comment about being 58 and seeing the end of my touring days! I totally understand that 58 is not the time to pack away the bicycle, and I hope I can ride until the day I drop; however, because of some commitments coming down the line that will keep me close to home for a number of years, I don't see my opportunities to get out and tour increasing any time soon.
Yeah, some of us old guys are a little sensitive. Do the kinds of tours that your situation allows, and the ones you enjoy. Bike touring is a pretty self-centered activity, and there are many other priorities in life that are much more important. I'm sorry if I came across a little harsh.

I use a little different criteria for when I will quit riding. I'll quit when I forgot where I parked my bike. However, I do hope I "drop" before that happens.

Last edited by Doug64; 01-30-21 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-31-21, 12:51 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
It doesn’t get harder, you just get slower
Old 01-31-21, 01:33 PM
Papa Tom

Slow is fine with me. If I wanted to get home and get off the bike faster, I would just stay home in the first place!
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 02-02-21, 08:05 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
My wife and I are 66 and retiring this year. 10 years ago we got back into riding tandem. I felt bad about riding and her being at home. When our daughters were home they loved when I went out as they got to do stuff the three of them liked that I didn't do. After they married and had their own families I felt bad riding as she was home alone. We've been riding a good amount of miles each year and enjoy riding together as the tandem is the equalizer. We both add power and that combination moves us forward. This summer we are doing a piece of my dream tour by riding a portion of the west coast from SF to SD. About 1/2 of the full journey. We will be credit card touring.
Old 02-03-21, 05:14 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by Paul J
This summer we are doing a piece of my dream tour by riding a portion of the west coast from SF to SD. About 1/2 of the full journey. We will be credit card touring.
Cool. Have a safe, fun trip!
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 02-03-21, 02:27 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I’m planning a 5 day 4 night credit card tour to Portland Me in May. I’m really hoping I can do it! I have a few other weekend overnight trips in the works for 2021. If I had the means I’d do a multi week tour, perhaps one day.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 02-03-21, 03:58 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Wait until you get vaccinated. The risk from staying in hotels is low. Maybe stay away from trains if it bothers you.
Likes For skookum:
Old 02-05-21, 07:57 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I am currently planning two trips for this year. One trip is a credit card tour of the Erie Canal. I belong to a group of older riders. Average age is about 75, Most are already vaccinated. Our sag wagon will be my diesel trawler that I have on Lake Erie. The trawler does about 40-50 miles a day and carries food and baggage. Riders will be free of burden and only need to average 7-8 mph on the trip. This trip is planned for a week in July.

My second trip is anything but a credit card trip. I will be riding from Tucson AZ north on the AZ trail, around the Grand Canyon and join the Wild west route north of AZ Bryce Canyon area where I will head east on the Plateau Passage route to Moab. From Moab to Fruita Co. then east to Summit County. From Summit county north to Laramie Wy. Then NE to Scottsbluff NB and ride the sand hillls east to the Cowboy trail. I will probably end in Norfolk NB. 90% is off road dirt with many very remote sections with scant resupply, let alone motels. The longest stretch without resupply is about 120 miles, for water about 60 miles. I will be doing this trip on my Fat E bike. over the course of about a month. I have one other nutty senior willing to join me. This trip is planned for spring.
I am currently 65, my riding partner 66. We have not yet decided to take a sag wagon or self contained.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 02-05-21, 10:12 AM
Papa Tom

That's great KPREN, and welcome to the group!

My question is specifically about the kind of bike tour that involves hotels, restaurants, and public transportation. If I wasn't such a mosquito magnet, I'd have probably taken up camping a long time ago and I wouldn't be questioning whether touring is feasible during this pandemic. I'd LOVE to be able to camp, but I can barely get from my car to my front door in the summertime without three or four skeeter bites!
Old 02-05-21, 10:21 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

My question is specifically about the kind of bike tour that involves hotels, restaurants, and public transportation. If I wasn't such a mosquito magnet, I'd have probably taken up camping a long time ago and I wouldn't be questioning whether touring is feasible during this pandemic. I'd LOVE to be able to camp, but I can barely get from my car to my front door in the summertime without three or four skeeter bites!
The Erie Canal trip is very much about hotels and such. The group plans on Bed and Breakfast accommodations or hotels along the way. Pretty easy as there is a town every 5 miles or so. The riding is pretty flat. The boat is not big enough to sleep everyone comfortably. The boat is really just the sag wagon and for riders whom get tired or don't feel like riding. 4 people are well over 80 and may not have the stamina.
Old 02-05-21, 11:33 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by KPREN
The Erie Canal trip is very much about hotels and such...
Sorry. I got wrapped up in the description of your SECOND trip and forgot that your Erie Canal trip involves hotels and such. So you are OK with staying in B&B's as early as July?
Old 02-05-21, 11:52 AM
Comfort is King

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts

Last summer until this early winter, I toured around the country. Stayed in a fair amount of hotels and used public transportation in several cities--and even on Oregon's coast--which is something I never did, Amtrak trains not withstanding.

The first time was the T in Boston. Because of the pandemic, it was virtually empty, so I used it several times. Everyone wore masks and stayed apart from each other. Decided to use the Boston area as a home base for several days and took the T out of town, went on incredible day trips, then took it back.

Even last summer, I had no trouble finding accommodations. I was at times inconvenienced with closed restrooms among other annoyances; however, lots of places restricted gatherings merely by closing off or curtailing parking. So, areas that would normally be occupied, were available. However, because camping and outdoor recreation saw huge increases last year, places that were usually available, were all of a sudden quite full. Very strange year.

Most places had restaurants you could eat outside--either they had them already, or did so because of Covid-19. This works great because that's where my bike is. Places that don't, often set up right at the entrance to handle takeouts. Again, this works great for the same reason. For every pandemic setback, their was a boon.

Last edited by Comfort is King; 02-05-21 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-05-21, 11:55 AM
KPREN

Sorry. I got wrapped up in the description of your SECOND trip and forgot that your Erie Canal trip involves hotels and such. So you are OK with staying in B&B's as early as July?
Everyone in our group will be vaccinated by July. Two, its summer time and covid should be almost dormant by then. Three, we bike as a group all through the summer last year. Most in the group have more comfort with death than in waiting to long to do something. Most are stage four cancer survivor's. Half of those are survivors of high mortality cancers.
Old 02-05-21, 12:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfort is King
However, because camping and outdoor recreation saw huge increases last year, places that were usually available, were all of a sudden quite full. Very strange year.
IKR. Last year I camped at 3 different places during 3 different tours that I had stayed at before on more than one occasion. All three were busier than normal. One place I had stayed at twice before at the same time of year. (The weekend after Labor Day.) The first two times the place was either empty or barely occupied. In 2020 it was probably 75% full, if not more.

When I took Amtrak to Pittsburgh last September to the start of a tour I paid extra for business class. At its most crowded I think there were only 7 or 8 people in my car on a Friday afternoon/evening. Stayed i a hotel the day before I started riding. Hardly saw any other quests. Never had to share an elevator.
Old 02-05-21, 12:48 PM
Papa Tom

Now I'm not sure whether I'm rooting for the pandemic to end or...NAAAAHHHHH -- I want it to end!
Old 02-08-21, 05:10 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
If I get vaccinated, and the Canadian border opens up, I will plan a credit card trip from Burlington to Montreal.
I would bet that the people you love, would love to see you go on more bike trips.
BTW, 58, bah! 'tis no more than a stripling youth.
Old 02-08-21, 06:58 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by Pratt
If I get vaccinated, and the Canadian border opens up, I will plan a credit card trip from Burlington to Montreal.
I would bet that the people you love, would love to see you go on more bike trips.
BTW, 58, bah! 'tis no more than a stripling youth.
Do you live in Burlington? When I would travel to certain parts of Canada on business, I often stayed at a hotel a few doors down from Tucker's Marketplace on the South Service Road of QE Way...best buffet in North America!
Old 02-08-21, 07:40 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Not Burlington, across the state in Bradford. Both children live in Burlington. That is where a bike way starts North, then there are some easy looking connections to Montreal.
If indoor dining ever returns, I'll try it.
Old 02-12-21, 06:50 AM
D@vid

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have a ride planned for Quebec to San Diego. Was planning to ride it in 2020 but now just waiting to see what happens. Will ride it when circumstances allow, until then, guess I won't. That's the great thing about touring, can just go when you go, book accomodation on the fly as you ride, even as you roll into town.

I live in the UK so may end up doing some UK trips instead, who knows!
Old 02-12-21, 07:29 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by D@vid
I have a ride planned for Quebec to San Diego. Was planning to ride it in 2020 but now just waiting to see what happens. Will ride it when circumstances allow, until then, guess I won't. That's the great thing about touring, can just go when you go, book accomodation on the fly as you ride, even as you roll into town.

that's a heck of a long ride, diagonal like that. Must be 8000kms? 5000 miles?
vaccinations here are a fair amount behind the UK, so I'd be surprised if it will be possible for you, just as for me hoping to bike in Europe and UK, another summer bust is my feeling as of now.
Old 02-12-21, 08:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by D@vid

Don't know about Canada, but the US CDC is now saying quarantine isn't required if you had your shot (jab?) or shot series between 2 weeks and 3 months earlier than potential exposure. Given that the UK is ahead of most of the US on jabs (except perhaps West Virginia?!), and Canada is doing its best to keep its citizens safe from US exposure, this year is going to be -- shall we say, interesting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.