Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stuck square taper crank - can't remove using crank puller.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stuck square taper crank - can't remove using crank puller.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 12:03 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Make sure the tool is threaded in until it bottoms out. It will take a fair amount of force to get the crank to move. I use a 12" adjustable wrench to remove mine.
Likes For davidad:
Old 04-06-21, 12:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4805 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by flyagaricus
I think you're seeing the wrong perspective - flip it with your mind. The square part is actually a recessed hole, not a nut

Now that I saw it your way, it's hard to un-see it. haha.
My post as before I could see the "femaleness" of the threads! Now I can see them both ways but for a long time I couldn't.
Old 04-07-21, 03:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
I was dealing with a similar problem on the 1982 Lotus Supreme I'm doing as a project. Drive side came off like it was supposed to, NDS the threads pulled right out of the crank. When I calmed down, I looked at one of the MANY threads here on BF on this very topic, and ordered a pair of chuck wedges - a pair of thin steel wedges with 'U's cut out of them. Stuck them between the BB and the crank from opposite sides, hammered on them, alternating one then the other, and suddenly the crank popped off - *CLANG!!* as it hit the floor. Amazing.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-07-21, 05:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
I seem to be missing where the problem is, the threads in the crank look like they're in perfect condition. So make sure the center post of the tool is fully recessed into the tool and tighten the tool into the crank. Go by hand first to make sure you line up the threads right and you should be able to turn it in by hand most of the way. Use your wrench to snug it down and then start turning the center post to pull the crank off. Cranks are a wedged fit which makes them really tight and often it feels like the threads are going to strip out. But if you have the center of the tool fully recessed when screwing in and screw the tool into the crank all the way, unless the tool really sucks the crank will just come off. Might have to really hang onto the crank though. Usually I do the non-drive side first so I can use the drive side as leverage. That lets me do the drive side using the drivetrain as the leverage which can be necessary with how tight things can be.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-11-21, 10:13 AM
flyagaricus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I seem to be missing where the problem is, the threads in the crank look like they're in perfect condition. So make sure the center post of the tool is fully recessed into the tool and tighten the tool into the crank. Go by hand first to make sure you line up the threads right and you should be able to turn it in by hand most of the way. Use your wrench to snug it down and then start turning the center post to pull the crank off. Cranks are a wedged fit which makes them really tight and often it feels like the threads are going to strip out. But if you have the center of the tool fully recessed when screwing in and screw the tool into the crank all the way, unless the tool really sucks the crank will just come off. Might have to really hang onto the crank though. Usually I do the non-drive side first so I can use the drive side as leverage. That lets me do the drive side using the drivetrain as the leverage which can be necessary with how tight things can be.
I did get it off. Like you said, there was no sign of any any seizure, but I was really surprised how much force was required to get it moving. Took everything I had!
Old 04-11-21, 11:53 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've found that Tri-flow works well enough for moderate stuck-ness, along with a bit of heat & percussion,

to not bother looking around for dedicated penetrating oil. At least as good as liquid wrench, for example.