Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-16, 07:38 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
Polished/chrome wheels and spokes? Please tell me what brand they are. I have a idea for a nuveau/retro build and I'm thinking about chrome rims.
Velo Orange and H Plus Son both offer Polished silver hoops, and Kinlin offers most hoops in annodized silver.
Old 01-20-16, 07:58 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by PeregrineA1
Though a 2007 Lemond Poprad and 2013 Ritchey Breakaway Ti Cross wait in the wings.
Post them! I've been searching for a Poprad for so long now..
Old 01-20-16, 08:07 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Still love my 2012 Quest. Older pic many things have been changed out.
Old 01-20-16, 08:15 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
It may be the angle, but those don't look like modern-style compact/ergo bars. Nice job nonetheless!
Good eye. They are sort of in between. The angle does exacerbate the appearance too as you noted.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-20-16, 08:46 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
That Bianchi at $3499.00... You could buy a few really nice C&V Bikes for that. But at least it has a Quill Stem. Steel Bikes just look wrong without one.
Having to take the bar tape and levers off to swap out the stem when dialing in fit is a pain. The alternative is to ride around without bar tape while trying out different stem lengths.

That's why I went with threadless. A few bolts and a stem swap is done.
Old 01-20-16, 09:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker

I've said it before, but that's a good looking bike!

Chainrings are a wee bit busy, and I dislike the seat post, but it's still cool and one-of-a-kind.
Old 01-20-16, 09:05 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Steamer
I appreciate my new (6 months old) Moulton TSR very much. It is, in fact, a steel bike, and while not the most modern design Moulton offers, it's still updated in a number of respects from its APB forefather. Clearly though, it has a pretty different ride from regular (essentially traditional) steel road bike (which I also enjoy, but two of those that I have are are vintage machines, not new).

Very cool! Moulton's make me wish I wasn't 6' of leg and 220lbs!
Old 01-20-16, 09:13 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

My steel small-wheeler is a '12 Mercier Nano, a fun little bike for shooting around town on, and maybe if I weren't all in on the b&w animal print thing, I might swap out that a**-hatchet of a saddle for something actually rideable, and venture a little longer and further on it, because despite the extreme looks, it's not really uncomfortable.

Old 01-20-16, 09:22 AM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Post them! I've been searching for a Poprad for so long now..
Still gathering parts. Poprad may have all the pieces in the next few weeks. Breakaway is farther out still. I broke the bike fund with the virtually simultaneous purchase of the two of them, got to do some selling...
Old 01-20-16, 09:25 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by chaadster
I've said it before, but that's a good looking bike!

Chainrings are a wee bit busy, and I dislike the seat post, but it's still cool and one-of-a-kind.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 01-20-16, 09:42 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Having to take the bar tape and levers off to swap out the stem when dialing in fit is a pain. The alternative is to ride around without bar tape while trying out different stem lengths.

That's why I went with threadless. A few bolts and a stem swap is done.
But... You still have to live with ugly.
Old 01-20-16, 10:05 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

You're not only in the wrong thread, you probably should be in C&V.
Old 01-20-16, 10:34 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
You're not only in the wrong thread, you probably should be in C&V.
Agreed. The "Modern" Steel Road bike thread is not the place to argue against the following:

Threadless forks
Carbon forks
Non-lugged frames

i.e. don't argue against modernity.
Old 01-20-16, 11:07 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm not arguing against carbon forks. I do wonder however, why there aren't more steel forks available for modern steel bikes.

My steel fork is "modern" in that it is threadless but is pretty high-end lugged Tange Infinity CroMo. It's not an old or vintage fork but manufactured in 2015. I thought it would be heavy and harsh but everything I heard about the "Buttery feel" of steel frames translated to the fork as well. Riding the bike is like riding on a cloud.

Not really sure I have a point here other than expressing my own experience with a steel fork and wondering out loud why riders don't consider steel forks for steel bikes more often. I get that you can't have on your bike what what manufacturers don't offer. If I was to build a modern steel bike however, I would not hesitate to put a good quality steel fork on it.

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-20-16 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-20-16, 11:08 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
^ Men do Not "impulse buy." We make very swift acquisition decisions which our gender had learned to do over eons of evolution as hunters in dangerous situations.

Buying that bike would have been an utterly rational survival based decision made swiftly because wasting time would have been anti-survival.
That was going to be my argument as well

Originally Posted by andr0id
This is my main road bike. It's a custom Waterford with S&S couplers.
I just got the Gunnar a few days before Thanksgiving in '15.
Nice!

This thread is on the fast road to Suxville.
Would anyone care to take a stab at distinguishing the modifier "modern," as in modern steel bike, from "new" and "recent"?
It's a critical element (to an interesting conversation, anyway) that's blowin' right o'er some heads.
Where does C&V cutoff? I guess we can start there.

Originally Posted by Vinnems
I just ordered one of the new De Rosa Nuovo Classicos. That blue chrome I could not resist:
Nice!

Originally Posted by 12strings
I'm really enjoying my 2015 Jamis Quest Comp
I've got a soft sport for steel Jamis bikes. I have one and my buddy has one he really likes as well. Very cool.
Old 01-20-16, 11:24 AM
rpenmanparker 

I'm not arguing against carbon forks. I do wonder however, why there aren't more steel forks available for modern steel bikes.

My steel fork is "modern" in that it is threadless but is pretty high-end lugged Tange Infinity CroMo. It's not an old or vintage fork but manufactured in 2015. I thought it would be heavy and harsh but everything I heard about the "Buttery feel" of steel frames translated to the fork as well. Riding he bike is like riding on a cloud.

Not really sure I have a point here other than expressing my own experience with a steel fork and wondering out loud why riders don't consider steel forks for steel bikes more often. I get that you can't have on your bike what what manufacturers don't offer. If I was to build a modern steel bike however, I would not hesitate to put a good quality steel fork on it.
The weight penalty is between 0.5 to 1.25 lb. Steel forks provide a nice ride, but so do carbon.

Your exaggeration ("riding on a cloud") actually discredits what you are saying. It just comes off as BS to anyone who has a wide range of experience with frames made of different materials.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 01-20-16, 11:25 AM
Vinnems

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I used to believe that, but after looking at a few 'classic' looking ones, which are high polished aluminum, a single, smaller bolt to attach to the fork, and and under clamp for the handlebars just like on a threadless stem, I've learned to accept, hell I'll say it, even like some of them. They look good on the bikes I see them on, I think they fit well with the classic steel aesthetics.
That's all I'll say on the subject though, as I don't want this to thread to derail as I like looking at modern steel offerings!
Old 01-20-16, 11:28 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
How about "modernized"? Does that count?

Only traditional aspects are the horizontal top tube, tube diameters, and 531 tubing. Everything else has been brought up to date. About 17 lb as shown.
While it's a sweet bike, we do have a 209 page thread dedicated to this type of thing

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ergos-209.html
Old 01-20-16, 11:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Your exaggeration ("riding on a cloud") actually discredits what you are saying. It just comes off as BS to anyone who has a wide range of experience with frames made of different materials.
Well, he didn't specify whether it might have been a supercell during a massive thunderstorm ... But yeas, this hearkens back to the (absolutely accurate, I am sure) description on the steel sprint track bike with steel wheels eating up the trails better than a mountain bike.
Old 01-20-16, 11:38 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
2014 Wraith Hustle...

Pictures by Ken Toda at the US National Criterium Championships
Regularly ridden, 16.34 lbs as you see it, and could be lighter.
US-made, Columbus, OH, Wraith Fabrications (Frame/Fork/Headset).
The rest of the build is entirely of used parts.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-24-20 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-20-16, 11:42 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
@RobbieTunes That is one cool looking bike. I *almost* bought a Wraith... but that's another story for another thread.
Old 01-20-16, 11:49 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
That's what I'm talkin' about! Fully modern, fully Dope.
Old 01-20-16, 11:49 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I've tried carbon forks on older steel bikes, and found the same as you did, the steel fork seems to be more in tune with the frame's mojo, and the bikes rode better with the OEM steel fork. I suppose those bike designers knew what they were doing, eh? I even tried a carbon fork in place of a Tange Mangalloy fork, the difference was 2 oz and the steel fork smoother.

If I could find a steel fork for a modern bike, I'd love to try one. Columbus Life or Zona tubing come to mind, but I'm not sure how they'd form it in a modern application, with a steel threadless steerer.... I'm sure there's a way, but from a manufacturing standpoint, it's a lot easier to do with carbon, I'm sure.

My steel fork is "modern" in that it is threadless but is pretty high-end lugged Tange Infinity CroMo. It's not an old or vintage fork but manufactured in 2015. I thought it would be heavy and harsh but everything I heard about the "Buttery feel" of steel frames translated to the fork as well. Riding the bike is like riding on a cloud.

Old 01-20-16, 11:55 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I've tried carbon forks on older steel bikes, and found the same as you did, the steel fork seems to be more in tune with the frame's mojo, and the bikes rode better with the OEM steel fork. I suppose those bike designers knew what they were doing, eh? I even tried a carbon fork in place of a Tange Mangalloy fork, the difference was 2 oz and the steel fork smoother.

If I could find a steel fork for a modern bike, I'd love to try one. Columbus Life or Zona tubing come to mind, but I'm not sure how they'd form it in a modern application, with a steel threadless steerer.... I'm sure there's a way, but from a manufacturing standpoint, it's a lot easier to do with carbon, I'm sure.
I know you're looking for a columbus tubing fork but you can get tange prestige chrome forks. I've been thinking about picking one up for my orbea (which is zona tubing).
Old 01-20-16, 11:55 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Not to me. I understand what he's saying. There is a silkiness to the ride that doesn't always come through in a different genre. It's not universal, nor is the opposite with other materials. Synergy is real, I think, in a bike build. I've built some stinkers that should not have been, and some came out better than they had any right to be. I've had bikes that rode like a cloud, but handled like tractors, and bikes that were nimble and agile, but let your attention wander, and you're quickly in kimshi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.