Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Lovers vs Bike Snobs...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Lovers vs Bike Snobs...

Old 03-27-16, 06:37 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I have run into some shops that refuse to work on older bikes, and folks think they are being bike snobs. However, many of them are worried about liability, in more than one sense. That is, if they cannot or do not fix it correctly someone could get injured. Or, they could lose money in labor costs trying repeatedly fix the bike.
I know some shops that openly tell customers their first priority to fix bikes bought from them. They won't refuse to work on older ones but suggest other stores to customers. One reason is they won't guarantee when they will get to their bike and the other is they don't stock older parts.
Old 03-29-16, 08:09 AM
molten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
You assaulted a reckless cyclist causing injury???? because why? Because he's one of those who doesn't wave**********
Joe wants to get religion involved. At least he's honest in admitting he would fail to become of a group, to those who are much a failure.
Old 03-29-16, 08:39 AM
modelmartin

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike lover here. I must not care if anyone thinks my one of my bikes looks weird. It has fenders, kickstand, mirror, bell, lights and yellow tires. It is seriously uncool to most people but I love it and commute with it and take it on gravel rides. It is C. Itoh submariner so I have the stainless and chrome frame going on, too. It is a total Rorscach test for other cyclists. Some dig it, some are mightily offended by it, quite a few don't even notice it!
Old 03-29-16, 06:16 PM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by modelmartin
Bike lover here. I must not care if anyone thinks my one of my bikes looks weird. It has fenders, kickstand, mirror, bell, lights and yellow tires. It is seriously uncool to most people but I love it and commute with it and take it on gravel rides. It is C. Itoh submariner so I have the stainless and chrome frame going on, too. It is a total Rorscach test for other cyclists. Some dig it, some are mightily offended by it, quite a few don't even notice it!
I have to admit I don't get the yellow tires, but I certainly wouldn't be offended by it. Everything else sounds very cool to me, though. But you really should post a pic.
Old 03-30-16, 05:15 AM
modelmartin

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmon
I have to admit I don't get the yellow tires, but I certainly wouldn't be offended by it. Everything else sounds very cool to me, though. But you really should post a pic.
Oh.....OK. It has a yellow headbadge so I keyed off of that for the tires and the bag.. As I said before, some dig it, but I have had a few "YELLOW TIRES?" from people. Since these pictures were taken I added a Pletscher rack that I lightened up and took off the spring loaded part and painted it black.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0783.jpg (98.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0784.jpg (100.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 03-30-16, 06:01 AM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh.....OK. It has a yellow headbadge so I keyed off of that for the tires and the bag.. As I said before, some dig it, but I have had a few "YELLOW TIRES?" from people. Since these pictures were taken I added a Pletscher rack that I lightened up and took off the spring loaded part and painted it black.

Looks very utilitarian to me (that's a good thing). I wouldn't kick it out of my bike shed.
Old 03-30-16, 08:34 AM
modelmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks very utilitarian to me (that's a good thing). I wouldn't kick it out of my bike shed.
I really get the looks when I wear my all yellow and black kit riding it!!
Old 03-30-16, 01:03 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts

How quickly does the tread wear on those yellow tires? The reason I ask is because I discovered that on little girl's bikes, with white tires, the tread wears around 3 times as fast as the otherwise similar black tires on little boy's bikes.
Old 03-30-16, 01:46 PM
modelmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 1300 miles (about 250 on gravel rides!" on them so far and they still look good. I will watch the wear. They are Kenda tires.
Old 04-02-16, 11:39 AM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Aren't all bike snobs also bike lovers and all bike lovers to some degree bike snobs. I wouldn't want to ride the beat up old wal mart bike with a gas pipe frame and a 2x4 with some foam wrapped in a plastic bag for a seat. I can afford something better. Isn't it a matter of perspective and preference. What one wears is a matter of personal choice and taste. Whether you wear the marching set up, which I sometimes do, or the Bermuda shorts with old grease stained t-shirt, which I sometimes do. When I wear that, my wife says I look like I escaped from the nursing home, stole a bike and am fleeing from a nurse who wants to give me a shot.

My point is we are all both snobs and lovers to some degree. I wave and smile at everyone and speak if close enough and they all wave and speak back. Attitude is contagious.

I hope no one takes offense at this post as none is meant but this morning I'm in Gulfport, MS and rode the Tatonut ride for the first time. The full range of cyclists was there and it was great. Everyone was friendly. Everyone went out of their way to make me feel welcome. At no time did I try to peg anyone into a category. I just enjoyed the moments and the company.
Old 04-02-16, 12:35 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
but I have had a few "YELLOW TIRES?" from people.
Those are the people who feel threatened when someone makes a statement, stands out, shows diversity, goes their own way,,, does not follow the masses...

I think your bike is really cool

But then again I ride a mountain bike,
In the woods,
On true single tracks,
In Lycra,
With shaved legs,

And I ride a Recumbent
Old 04-02-16, 01:14 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 486 Posts
I have been thinking about this "bike lover"/"bike snob" thing and just hearing about the concept has come to illuminate my own biases. There are some kinds of bikes that I do not favor, but I should examine that feeling. If I spent more time trying to understand the different approaches,tastes and priorities, and less time constructing barriers and defending them, I might be better off.
Old 04-02-16, 01:27 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 486 Posts
[QUOTE=modelmartin;18648534]Oh.....OK. It has a yellow headbadge so I keyed off of that for the tires and the bag.. As I said before, some dig it, but I have had a few "YELLOW TIRES?" from people. Since these pictures were taken I added a Pletscher rack that I lightened up and took off the spring loaded part and painted it black.]

I think those tires show some nice taste.
Both my R3's and my Atom Comps are yellow. I saw a deal on some pink R3's, but there was only one and I wanted a set.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 04-02-16 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-02-16, 03:13 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
Those are the people who feel threatened when someone makes a statement, stands out, shows diversity, goes their own way,,, does not follow the masses...

I think your bike is really cool

But then again I ride a mountain bike,
In the woods,
On true single tracks,
In Lycra,
With shaved legs,

And I ride a Recumbent
I was just thinking today, coming in from my ride and seeing someone in their Lycra, that I don't understand Lycra and MTBing. But, I don't even care about my opinions on things like this.
Old 04-02-16, 05:34 PM
modelmartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tg16
Aren't all bike snobs also bike lovers and all bike lovers to some degree bike snobs. I wouldn't want to ride the beat up old wal mart bike with a gas pipe frame and a 2x4 with some foam wrapped in a plastic bag for a seat. I can afford something better. Isn't it a matter of perspective and preference. What one wears is a matter of personal choice and taste. Whether you wear the marching set up, which I sometimes do, or the Bermuda shorts with old grease stained t-shirt, which I sometimes do. When I wear that, my wife says I look like I escaped from the nursing home, stole a bike and am fleeing from a nurse who wants to give me a shot.

My point is we are all both snobs and lovers to some degree. I wave and smile at everyone and speak if close enough and they all wave and speak back. Attitude is contagious.

I hope no one takes offense at this post as none is meant but this morning I'm in Gulfport, MS and rode the Tatonut ride for the first time. The full range of cyclists was there and it was great. Everyone was friendly. Everyone went out of their way to make me feel welcome. At no time did I try to peg anyone into a category. I just enjoyed the moments and the company.

You make some good points. To me, bike snobbery is looking down on other's choices. Aspiring to a higher standard for your own bikes and gear is not snobbery to my mind. If you can afford the latest greatest titanium Di2, hydraulic disc Whatzini that is great as long as you don't sneer at my or other folk's rides.
Old 04-02-16, 06:46 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
You make some good points. To me, bike snobbery is looking down on other's choices. Aspiring to a higher standard for your own bikes and gear is not snobbery to my mind. If you can afford the latest greatest titanium Di2, hydraulic disc Whatzini that is great as long as you don't sneer at my or other folk's rides.
Yep well put.

I can admire a $12,000 bike or a $3,000 set of carbon wheels,

All that expensive cutting edge stuff does do the trickle down thing, for example ,,,

I now have a drive train that cost me $350 that shifts just like the $1,000 ones of last year..
Old 04-03-16, 04:57 PM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All of us Whatzini owners appreciate hearing this.

My wife keeps saying "you should buy the best you can afford; that way, you don't upgrade all that often." If you do that (buy the best you can afford), it doesn't make you a snob. It just means you can have a pretty good bike.
Old 04-03-16, 05:33 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
All of us Whatzini owners appreciate hearing this.

My wife keeps saying "you should buy the best you can afford; that way, you don't upgrade all that often." If you do that (buy the best you can afford), it doesn't make you a snob. It just means you can have a pretty good bike.
Can you have your wife chat with mine?
Old 04-03-16, 05:44 PM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Can you have your wife chat with mine?
The corollary of "you should buy the best you can afford" is "because you can only have one (maybe two)". So maybe you don't want my wife to speak with yours.
Old 04-03-16, 05:58 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Introspective thought provoking this has a bit been. Realized I really don't judge by the bike, mostly don't notice. I judge by the rider. Also, I don't buy the best I can afford. I buy what works best for me. For context analogy, I can afford BMW/Merc but buy/drive upper trim level Honda Accord.
Old 04-03-16, 06:08 PM
Kindaslow

The corollary of "you should buy the best you can afford" is "because you can only have one (maybe two)". So maybe you don't want my wife to speak with yours.
I am limited to 5, just not enough space for more. So this is very confusing for me. Should my wife talk with her or not?
Old 04-03-16, 06:13 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
To me, bike snobbery is looking down on other's choices. Aspiring to a higher standard for your own bikes and gear is not snobbery to my mind. If you can afford the latest greatest titanium Di2, hydraulic disc Whatzini that is great as long as you don't sneer at my or other folk's rides.
Well summarized! I like the way you think.
Old 04-03-16, 06:33 PM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am limited to 5, just not enough space for more. So this is very confusing for me. Should my wife talk with her or not?
I just spoke to my wife, and she said to "stop advertising how wonderful I am; you do want to keep me, don't you?" So the truth is that she thinks that all bikes are the same, and everyone should only have one. And that one should be a used Sears Stingray from the 60's.
Old 04-03-16, 06:34 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
Is 5 the number of wifes or bicycles?
Old 04-03-16, 08:05 PM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Is 5 the number of wifes or bicycles?
If I buy more bikes, it will be more than five bikes and eventually a third wife....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.