Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Lug making Part Dux

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Lug making Part Dux

Old 11-26-20, 10:24 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The light gray bike is on the road, still in it's fine tuning fit phase. It's first real do something ride was to get pizza! Here's some shots.

This was an odd build as it is the replacement for the black frame shown earlier, but retained the fork from that bike. Were I do do this again I would change the steering geo. to get the handling to be a tad more responsive. Currently it's real "stable". Perhaps just what's needed in a around town bike that might see some loads (for both the bike and the rider). The other design aspect I would change is the seat angle, it's pretty laid back and is an artifact of the black bike's early design stage of running a Brooks saddle (I have a few B-72s in my stash). The current saddle's set back is about right so I might go to a (gasp) straight post to have the saddle/post arrangement look better. I still need to try out a 1cm longer stem. The SA 5 speed rear hub is an anchor but I think I have the gear ratios picked pretty well.

A few details of note- The kickstand mount plate has 4 "fingers" (finishing nails) that keep the k stand from rotating during use and the mounting bolt goes through a rear axle spacer brazed onto the plate. The rack has wire clips for tail light, see how the LH light is mounted on a Al strip and not direct to the rack's mount. I decided to minimize the amount of wire and run blinkers only. The head light is great and my mount for it works well. The der hanger and matching drop out allow for installing a common rear der if I find the SA IGH to be too hefty.

The 650B MtB project is still going although slowly currently. I'm taking advantage of the warm weather to continue the repainting of my 1941 SB 9"A lathe.

Hope all are warm and snug this Thanksgiving. Andy

Old 11-27-20, 07:34 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Andy that Isa neat looking bike! BTW which brand is the chain tensioner?
Old 11-28-20, 07:56 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Very nice. I like the headlight mounting
Old 11-29-20, 08:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Tom- The tensioner is a Surley labeled one. I see others on my image searches that have "conquest" on them that are similar in the casting. With the first (black) bike this tensioner was noisier then the new grey bike is. For once the variability of things goes in the better direction

Steve- Thanks. Did a lot of thinking about this, many years and hundreds of miles riding at night's worth. The light's location WRT the tire, bars, cables was a priority. The ability to aim it in any direction and lock that in a solid way was also important. Let me give a tad of backround- I ridden with big lights for decades. Bottle located batteries and the lamp held off the left side of the bars. Here's a shot of one of the variations in this theme.

Going to a hub generator and a non QR light mounting meant a lot of rethink to what I wanted. The way the shadows were placed, where I wanted other stuff to sit, how wires were to be routed. The black bike's set up. lighting wise, was good although I was never able to get the tail light to work (hence the elimination of tail light wire routing clips on the gray frame but still on the rack). In the end I decided to forego any off to the side mounting and nestle the lamp within the bars and ft tire area. This also meant not having a bar mounted bottle cage (something I have had since the late 1970s). Andy