Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Lovers vs Bike Snobs...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Lovers vs Bike Snobs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 08:26 PM
funbikerchick

Bikes: Liv Avail Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
You assaulted a reckless cyclist causing injury???? because why? Because he's one of those who doesn't wave**********
Not to mention, the guy could have been seriously injured. If you really did this, you are worse than any snob..
Old 04-04-16, 10:23 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
Those are the people who feel threatened when someone makes a statement, stands out, shows diversity, goes their own way,,, does not follow the masses...

I think your bike is really cool

But then again I ride a mountain bike,
In the woods,
On true single tracks,
In Lycra,
With shaved legs,

And I ride a Recumbent
How nice for you.

FWIW, when you post a pic in a forum, people can make the reasonable assumption you would like to get responses to that picture. Given the fact that aesthetics are a subjective measure, and the further fact that we all come from different perspectives, it is not unreasonable to assume that what is beautiful to you m,ight be unattractive to others.

Of course, someone who merely notes that yellow tires are unusual may or may not be voicing a criticism, but may simply be commenting that that is an unusual choice. Since you have told us you wear traditional road bike wear while mountain biking, you are presumably familiar with the notion that doing unusual or unexpected things can provoke a variety of responses.

No need to speculate as to the psychological motivations of someone who simply notes a variance from the norm.

Have a great day,

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-11-16, 10:29 AM
Crewchief911

Bikes: Cannondale SR400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got beat up pretty good for mentioning bike snobs. I don't really care what people think of my bike or riding gear, but it is annoying to have someone tell me I need to "upgrade" to some self-conceived idea of "proper cycling"...
Old 04-11-16, 10:40 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Crewchief911
I got beat up pretty good for mentioning bike snobs. I don't really care what people think of my bike or riding gear, but it is annoying to have someone tell me I need to "upgrade" to some self-conceived idea of "proper cycling"...
Ask them why they care so much about your bike? Then, if they do not get it, tell them to bug off!
Old 04-11-16, 10:43 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Crewchief911
In decades of being around bikes, I have never, ever, even once had such a thing occur. I do, however, regularly read threads about what a jerk I must be for riding an up to date aero road bike in full kit while simultaneously failing to compete in the TdF. If you own an expensive bike, it's apparently not necessary for you to actually do anything to offend anyone - simply existing is enough to do the job.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 04-11-16 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-11-16, 11:33 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
In decades of being around bikes, I have never, ever, even once had such a thing occur. I do, however, regularly read threads about what a jerk I must be for riding an up to date aero road bike in full kit while simultaneously failing to compete in the TdF. If you own an expensive bike, it's apparently not necessary for you to actually do anything to offend anyone - simply existing is enough to do the job.
+1

Or you are stupid for falling victim to marketing because all bikes are the same - a $350 bike is just as fast or handles as well as a $10,000 one.
Old 04-11-16, 11:56 AM
Jimbo47

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
+1

Or you are stupid for falling victim to marketing because all bikes are the same - a $350 bike is just as fast or handles as well as a $10,000 one.
It's a pure joy for me to get on my bike and ride it.
I don't think it matters if it's a dept. store bike or one of those $10,000 holy grail bikes. If you enjoy what you ride who should care?
Old 04-11-16, 12:50 PM
Crewchief911

Bikes: Cannondale SR400

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm glad you haven't. It has happened to me several times while waiting to ride at charity rides, by someone who works at a bike shop, and with a person who joined a group I used to ride with for a ride. As I have said before, I don't have a problem with anyone's choice of bike, whatever you ride that you enjoy is fine. I am not the least bit offended by anyone with an expensive bike. Personally, I think your up to date aero road bike and full kit are great. If I could afford one , I would probably have one myself.
Old 04-11-16, 01:52 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I love collecting quality vintage racing bikes. Just because I may own a Colnago doesnt mean I'm a bike snob. There are those but they are few except posting on the internet.
Old 04-11-16, 02:08 PM
Kindaslow

I took an aero bike and put MTB bars onto into, basically making it a hybrid. People lose their last marble who are snobs and say all kinds of silly stuff. Other people comment on how cool it is. Funny world we live in!!!
Old 04-11-16, 04:37 PM
DBrown9383

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 500mi. on bike trails last summer with my new cheap Schwinn hybrid and loved every minute of it. I got dropped by guys in full kit on nice bikes constantly and I think it was my own brain telling me these guys were snobs. In reality they could probably care less about me and my Schwinn and passing me gave them no more joy than passing a little kid on a trike. I'm sure there are "snobs" out there but I wouldn't let them ruin my day. For the most part everyone at least nods when you meet them going the other way unless you are going downhill and they are going uphill working hard. I had enough snobs in my profession to last a lifetime and pay them no attention.

Last edited by DBrown9383; 04-11-16 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 08:48 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Bike snobs can be either a bicyclist or even a bicycle shop owner.

A fellow who owned a bicycle shop here in town told a fellow who walked in with a 7 speed twist grip shifter and asked how much to put a new cable in it, "I don't work on cheap crap like that!" The potential customer told the owner that the bike was bought for him by his mother shortly before she died.

Another time that same shop owner told another fellow whilst a number of people were browsing that he wished they'd just pick up what they wanted, pay for it and get out. This owner did NOT like people coming into the store and talking about bikes unless they were spending big bucks.

Surprisingly enough that shop closed. Hm, I wonder why?

The point of the above is that even a very cheap department store bicycle, or any bicycle, can have immense sentimental value to someone that transcends the value of a much more expensive machine.

I get a number of put downs because I bought a Dura Ace AX groupset to put onto a vintage frame. This groupset still looks very aerodynamic and has no cable housing on it for the deraillers. I really like it and I was extremely sorry that in the mid-1980's I sold the Velo Sport bicycle that had the complete Dura Ace AX groupset on it. I like the looks and I like the functioning of it. Yet a lot of bicyclists disparage it as being out of date.

BTW, I have 4 extra pairs of brake blocks for it as well as a number of Uniglide cassettes for it including a few NOS ones and even some NOS shimano cleats for the pedals. Thus, I don't have to worry abot the "consumeables" on it.

Cheers
Old 04-12-16, 04:30 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Fuel at a stop

Bike lover.... Pie and coffee or ice cream

Bike snob...homemade blend of herbs, nutrients, and grains with honey water to drink
Why can't it be pie, coffee AND ice cream???

Old 04-12-16, 04:41 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
What hardware someone else uses and how they are costumed while operating it is of no interest whatever to experienced cyclists out doing what they do. This is the more or less mature BF sub-forum where setting a hook for divisive twaddle suitable for the 41 sinks to the bottom where it belongs.

-Bandera
Obviously there is room for twaddle in every forum.
Old 04-12-16, 04:42 AM
Cyclist0084

Originally Posted by modelmartin
Oh.....OK. It has a yellow headbadge so I keyed off of that for the tires and the bag.. As I said before, some dig it, but I have had a few "YELLOW TIRES?" from people. Since these pictures were taken I added a Pletscher rack that I lightened up and took off the spring loaded part and painted it black.

Nice!! I think the yellow tires give it a sense of style.

Old 04-12-16, 04:58 AM
Cyclist0084

Originally Posted by Jimbo47
It's a pure joy for me to get on my bike and ride it.
I don't think it matters if it's a dept. store bike or one of those $10,000 holy grail bikes. If you enjoy what you ride who should care?
Amen!!!

Old 04-12-16, 05:39 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Bike snobs can be either a bicyclist or even a bicycle shop owner.

A fellow who owned a bicycle shop here in town told a fellow who walked in with a 7 speed twist grip shifter and asked how much to put a new cable in it, "I don't work on cheap crap like that!"
While the bike shop guy lacked tact in this situation, I can empathize with his sentiment concerning cheap off brand twist shifters.
Some of them are pretty much un serviceable, and the better fix is a new shifter. Even bottom tier Shimano, are functional, serviceable, and cheap.
Old 04-12-16, 08:10 AM
Kindaslow

Let's remember the lighthearted intent of this, and return to whether or not you get ice cream with your pie.... Clearly not a bike snob, given the Lycra issues....

No ice cream with cake, that is just silly!
Old 04-12-16, 10:22 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
...... because all bikes are the same - .....
Sorry, I just can't buy into this statement.
Maybe the bike industry should just build 1 bike (in a range of sizes) in 1 component configuration for all of us.

All cars are the same, all houses are the same, all people are the same..... sheeesh.
Old 04-12-16, 10:33 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
While the bike shop guy lacked tact in this situation, I can empathize with his sentiment concerning cheap off brand twist shifters.
Some of them are pretty much un serviceable, and the better fix is a new shifter. Even bottom tier Shimano, are functional, serviceable, and cheap.
It took me a 45 seconds to put a new shift cable in that guys twist-grip shifter after i got him to come to my place. The guy running that shop was a snob and was only interested in you if you were riding a very high end bicycle. I guess that's why he went out of business.

Cheers
Old 04-13-16, 02:15 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Sorry, I just can't buy into this statement.
Maybe the bike industry should just build 1 bike (in a range of sizes) in 1 component configuration for all of us.

All cars are the same, all houses are the same, all people are the same..... sheeesh.
The song: Little Boxes... all made out of ticky-tacky.

I don't know how many times it has to be said, it's all about the rider. Just look at Peter Sagan after his effort to avoid Fabian Cancellara's fallen bike on the Paris-Roubaix last the weekend.
Old 04-13-16, 06:39 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
The song: Little Boxes... all made out of ticky-tacky.

I don't know how many times it has to be said, it's all about the rider. Just look at Peter Sagan after his effort to avoid Fabian Cancellara's fallen bike on the Paris-Roubaix last the weekend.
No argument that the rider is the engine and the pilot and the most important part. But anyone who knows bicycles knows they are not all the same, unless we dumb down 'bike riding' to mean simply getting from point A to point B. Given that assumption my cheap beat-up old Saturn auto is the same as a $300,000 Maserati or luxury Bentley. Sorry, but the Forum participants are more discerning than that - if not, please call me a 'bicycle elitist'.

Put Sagan on a 60lb, fat bike loaded with snow touring gear and he can't avoid (or jump over) Cancellara's Trek. Fact.

All bikes are not the same. Except as a means of enjoying human-powered 2-wheeling, which every person should embrace.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-13-16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-13-16, 07:16 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by Wildwood
No argument that the rider is the engine and the pilot and the most important part. But anyone who knows bicycles knows they are not all the same, unless we dumb down 'bike riding' to mean simply getting from point A to point B. Given that assumption my cheap beat-up old Saturn auto is the same as a $300,000 Maserati or luxury Bentley. Sorry, but the Forum participants are more discerning than that - if not, please call me a 'bicycle elitist'.

Put Sagan on a 60lb, fat bike loaded with snow touring gear and he can't avoid (or jump over) Cancellara's Trek. Fact.

All bikes are not the same. Except as a means of enjoying human-powered 2-wheeling, which every person should embrace.
"Bicycle elitist"..... Can you expand on that a bit, obviously in a way that pokes a little fun at yourself.
Old 04-13-16, 07:55 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
My initial impression is it a person that's a serious rider. Then I check to see if he's on a team. Most people that spend big money do it because they love cycling. Many make big sacrifices and tough spending decisions to do it.
Also, some of the warmest, most friendly and generous people I have ever met ride high priced bikes. Some of the most wealthy riders I have known have treated me like I want to be treated.
Any pro racer I have met has also been friendly and even helpful.
Old 04-13-16, 08:11 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
I put bikes, ice cream, pizza and sex in the same category ... even the worst is pretty damn good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.