Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need a shop or mechanic to assemble Kestrel Talon

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-30-16, 02:31 PM
spokedB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was going to take this on myself, having assembled a few bikes, but I read on Kestrel's website it will void the warranty if it's not professionally assembled.

1. Is that something to be concerned with?

2. I might actually feel better having a pro torque everything down properly and safely.

3. I'd like the bike to be properly setup for me.

Suggestions please. I'm in North Attleboro, MA but I commute almost daily to the Reading/Wilmington MA area so anywhere in between is OK.

Thanks
Old 12-30-16, 02:37 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Call your local shops for a price.

Old 12-30-16, 02:53 PM
spokedB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Call your local shops for a price.
Thanks, I found out the owner of a shop in Bedford is friend of a friend. They're going to handle it.

I was hesitant to call local shops as I figured some might have an attitude against assembling something purchased elsewhere.
Old 12-30-16, 03:01 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I would do myself regardless and I do not think there would be a problem. But if Kestral said it in person then I would buy another brand.
Old 12-30-16, 03:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I would do myself regardless and I do not think there would be a problem. But if Kestral said it in person then I would buy another brand.
Nothing surprising here.

Installation by certified or accredited installers as a requirement for maintaining warranty is pretty standard across many industries. Just about any company can deny a warranty claim if they think poor installation by someone who is not accredited contributed to the failure.

Going further, no matter how skilled an installer might have been, an insurance company can deny a claim based on installation by non-certified individual. This is the case with home HVAC equipment in particular and is the reason why homeowner's can't just go out and buy a new furnace retail.

I'm not saying that the practice is right or wrong or that certification guarantees an installer's skill. All I'm saying is that the practice shouldn't shock anyone in the slightest.

-Tim-
Old 12-30-16, 04:21 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
certified or accredited installers
How realistic is this in the bicycle industry? There isn't a solid standard that all mechanics must meet before being able to work in a shop. There are schools like UBI and Barnett but how many shops, aside from the largest and well-to-do like REI, can and will send people out on their dime? It's expensive and in my experience people don't go to bike shops for real long term jobs because the pay sucks. It is a risk to send someone to school without some contractual employment period to recover the investment. I'm all for a standard if someone can come up with something that proves competence, but do half the mechanics out there laid off? I worked in shop for several years and met some less than stellar mechanics and made plenty of money redoing the crap work put out by other shops . Hell, and I'm not the most knowledgeable guy out there.

Last edited by hairnet; 12-30-16 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-30-16, 05:52 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Nothing surprising here.

Installation by certified or accredited installers as a requirement for maintaining warranty is pretty standard across many industries. Just about any company can deny a warranty claim if they think poor installation by someone who is not accredited contributed to the failure.

Going further, no matter how skilled an installer might have been, an insurance company can deny a claim based on installation by non-certified individual. This is the case with home HVAC equipment in particular and is the reason why homeowner's can't just go out and buy a new furnace retail.

I'm not saying that the practice is right or wrong or that certification guarantees an installer's skill. All I'm saying is that the practice shouldn't shock anyone in the slightest.

-Tim-
Yes Tim I am aware of the problem but still I trust myself more than any mechanics I have seen at the local shops. Not that they are incompetent or I am great just know the story. For one thing it is a bike and nothing complicated to deal with. As a guitar repairman myself I repair guitars and do work them and nothing really from any manufacture makes a difference. Unless you are some high profile music store with an industry standard reputation then all work is just you and the customer. I might add I repair guitars that make bikes seem pretty cheap or at least not that important.

It would seem that manufactures want you to buy a bike from a shop and then rely on them for everything you need. Sounds great but it is still a bike...........a simple machine to be used and when needed replaced. For myself the great thing about a bike is I can buy one and completely maintain it to the end.

Just try that with a car.......................

Also I really like tinkering with bikes. Tinkering with guitars can be another animal if your prized Gibson Super 400 needs a fret job......that guitar may actually hold it value but a bike........get a new one.
Old 12-30-16, 07:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
Well, one difference between guitars and bikes is the liability factor. A guitar that fails during use usually doesn't impact personal health...

There are a few reasons that bicycle manufactures wish their products are assembled by a pro. One biggie is that every brand makes mistakes sometimes. having the last QC check being an experienced pro who has their own ass on the line helps insure that if there is a problem it isn't passed along to the consumer (who has been found by many courts to have no contributing negligence often). Another is that even with every part (frame/fork included) properly made and functional a poorly assembled bike will reflect on the brand, EVEN THOUGH the brand is not the one responsible for tuning or assembling the bike correctly. Guilt by association rules in today's interweb society where spending money gets one no contributory responsibility.

I completely agree that many people out there who have never drawn a pay check from the bike industry can and do assemble/tune/maintain a bike very well. This forum has some who post. But when push comes to shove the credentials and insurance policy rules. I'm not saying this is a good thing but it is the way life goes. Andy
Old 12-30-16, 07:37 PM
spokedB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Yes Tim I am aware of the problem but still I trust myself more than any mechanics I have seen at the local shops. Not that they are incompetent or I am great just know the story. For one thing it is a bike and nothing complicated to deal with. As a guitar repairman myself I repair guitars and do work them and nothing really from any manufacture makes a difference. Unless you are some high profile music store with an industry standard reputation then all work is just you and the customer. I might add I repair guitars that make bikes seem pretty cheap or at least not that important.

It would seem that manufactures want you to buy a bike from a shop and then rely on them for everything you need. Sounds great but it is still a bike...........a simple machine to be used and when needed replaced. For myself the great thing about a bike is I can buy one and completely maintain it to the end.

Just try that with a car.......................

Also I really like tinkering with bikes. Tinkering with guitars can be another animal if your prized Gibson Super 400 needs a fret job......that guitar may actually hold it value but a bike........get a new one.
Funny you mention that, I've built a couple of guitars and would still never mess with an authentic 62 jaguar. lol

regardless of the warranty issue, i'[m at the point in my life where i'm honest about my abilities lol. I'm gonna get a pro on this, and only because i've had 2 recommendations from guys I trust regarding the same shop.
Old 12-30-16, 08:32 PM
Currmudge

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless they require/provide a document from said assembler...how would they KNOW?

But then, since I AM an experienced professional assembler...no problem.
Old 12-30-16, 10:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Something's not right.

Kestrals FAQ says that the bike has to be professionally assembled in order to be covered under warranty...
But the warranty policy at the parent company's website says absolutely nothing about that.
Something doesn't jive.

-Tim-
Old 12-31-16, 12:48 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
Something's not right.

Kestrals FAQ says that the bike has to be professionally assembled in order to be covered under warranty...
But the warranty policy at the parent company's website says absolutely nothing about that.
Something doesn't jive.

-Tim-

Talk to a lawyer about published statements before you assume much. Andy
Old 01-03-17, 11:10 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Have a pro do it and don't complain if they charge extra because of Kestrel's derailleur cable routing--be grateful that any shop is willing to do it at any price.
Old 01-03-17, 03:23 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 364 Posts
This is the case with home HVAC equipment in particular and is the reason why homeowner's can't just go out and buy a new furnace retail. -Tim-
Really, cause I recently had a Goodman 4 ton 18 SEER split system HVAC drop shipped. The whole thing with all the bits and pieces (including electric emergency heat coil) was a bit over $3K. One of the guys in our bike club is a HVAC professional, and he loves his new Tarmac. Win/win.
Old 01-03-17, 03:57 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
his is the case with home HVAC equipment in particular and is the reason why homeowner's can't just go out and buy a new furnace retail.
-Tim-
Of course you can. Home Depot sells dozens of home furnace models and they state "Equipment should be sized/installed by a qualified professional".

Should you be installing it yourself ?, probably not and it likely would not meet local building code to do so, but there's nothing stopping a consumer from buying direct. Same with HVAC, you can but it likely needs it professionally installed.

Of course the installers that do this stuff are licensed. Bike mechanics are not. Thus Kestral's (and others) policies are BS.
Old 01-03-17, 04:12 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I question how many local shops have an actual "certified" mechanic from one of those schools. I may ask at my local shops just out of curiosity.

I looked at that link posted above and here is what they state:
Q. "I bought my bicycle online or received a promotional bike that arrived unassembled. Do you have instructions on how I can perform the assembly myself?"

A. For your safety, we do not provide assembly instructions and require all Kestrel bikes to be assembled by a professional mechanic at a bicycle shop. The importance of professional assembly cannot be overstated. It is one of only two requirements that need to be met in order for the bike to be covered under our warranty policy (the other being that you are the original owner of the bike). If you are interested in having warranty coverage on your bike, please take your bike to your local bike shop to have it assembled and adjusted by a professional bicycle mechanic.
The term "professional bike mechanic" I think is a somewhat loose term. They do not mention a "certified" mechanic but they do say a, "professional mechanic at a bicycle shop". If they are that worried about it, why wouldn't they require a certified mechanic?

Weird.

Last edited by drlogik; 01-03-17 at 05:40 PM.