Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Thief proof my bike parts

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Thief proof my bike parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-19, 12:17 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
I keep my bike inside.
Just to run with that thought, a surprising number of bikes are stolen out of garages/sheds. When I'm not riding it my bike is kept in the garage with a lock on it.

Old 11-02-19, 08:45 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Just to run with that thought, a surprising number of bikes are stolen out of garages/sheds. When I'm not riding it my bike is kept in the garage with a lock on it.
That is why when I'm not using my bike I keep inside my locked and guarded residence which also has a 24/7 closed-circuit camera surveillance.
Old 11-05-19, 04:23 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
I long ago got over the idea that I could expect to return to an unmolested expensive bike left unattended.

So, for my errands, I always use a decent-but-inexpensive thrift-store-find bike, and with a good well-used (damaged-looking) saddle on it from one of my club-ride bikes.
My hybrid has a suspension seatpost that I don't want to lose, so I use LocTite on the clamp bolt so that it takes two Allen wrenches to loosen (Allen bolt plus Allen nut from a brake pad).

I use a short rope-style lock with large-diameter tubular armor over the cable that will at least resist a quick cut, and since the bike is pretty heavy (including urban tires, so no patch kit or pump), so it can't so easily be carried away.

When I need to shop while out on my road bike, I use it like a shopping cart and just walk through the store. I recommend good safe-walking cleats like SPD-SL for walking on tile and linoleum.

Some stores will allow bike parking in any unused checkstand aisle at the low-traffic times of day, and a mini cable sidearm lock (also armored type to resist pocket cutters) that fits in a pocket will prevent ride-away incidents there, or at the coffee stop.

Luckily I haven't lost more than an old headlight for quite some time now. I normally take my headlight with me and no one has taken my bolted-on taillight yet.

I also recommend never to clean any bike that will be left outside since you basically don't want it to look like merchandise.
Old 11-14-19, 05:52 PM
Joey21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When I'm not riding my ebike, I lock it to my bedframe... j/k
Old 11-21-19, 01:08 PM
gefco59

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 posts
Old 11-21-19, 01:38 PM
Maslin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
There was a cheapo road bike locked to a bus stop outside our shop here in Eugene. Completely out in the open on a very busy 4 lane road.

Before the end of day 1 the front tire was ripped off, now the bike won't make it home. The next morning it was stripped. Frame and front rim locked to a pole. Today it's gone.

The homeless guys have a nice little bike shop going in the parking lot on 11th, where ever they've made their camp for the week. You can probably go buy your parts back for a few dollars.

My bike is safely parked inside, too many shiny parts to leave outside. My wife's bike is on the bike rack in the parking garage. Her bike is the newest of the bunch, but a subtle grey and black trek fx2 flys under the radar.