Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Identifying vintage track frame/parts

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 10-18-20, 05:29 AM
jliet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hello!

Recently purchased this for very cheap in the U.K. Attached images below in imgur album - some interesting parts like Gipiemme track drop outs, fastback seatstay and (maybe?) unstamped cinelli bb, not sure.

Bottom bracket is 68mm, british threading, and seatpost is 28.2 (I think, need to double check). The weight is 1.88kg for a size ~59cm.

Previous owner has said it was a dolan protoype track bike, bought 15 years-ish ago. Any help on possible builder or parts would be useful.

Pictures: imgur.com/a/CMcFEtR
Old 10-18-20, 08:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
It does look like they filed off the writing on the Cinelli BB. I never understood why Cinelli wanted their name all over their framebuilding parts, it's like they never heard of lawyers.

I take it there was no matching fork?
Old 10-18-20, 01:01 PM
jliet

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
It does look like they filed off the writing on the Cinelli BB. I never understood why Cinelli wanted their name all over their framebuilding parts, it's like they never heard of lawyers.

I take it there was no matching fork?
No matching forks, no. And re. Cinelli name, maybe the extra 'free' advertising they got at the time brought in more than the lawyer costs!

Also, another friendly user pointed out the Cinelli CCM bottom bracket which looks exactly like this - it was also possible to get without the Cinelli stamp so maybe that's what it is.
Old 10-18-20, 01:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
without going out into the garage to look, the Cinelli info was raised lettering so it was really easy to get rid of. I have thought about it, but it seems pointless

I'm sure all of it was available blank or with your own logo at the right volume. I always bought through a distributor, and the generic stuff came with Cinelli on it.