Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trangia Style Alcohol Burners Now Available at Walmart

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-15, 03:06 AM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hey all,

So this is exciting for me and maybe some other people on here. When I was in China a few years back I found a brand called Alocs that made really good Trangia copies but their designs were actually an improvement on the Swedish Trangia system, using better materials, lighter weight, and cheaper. I was trolling the ineternet today and it looks like Walmart now offers this brand on their website. However, they are calling them Chinook now for whatever reason. Here is a link to one of the sets but you can search their site for other configurations.

Chinook Aluminum Hard Anodized 9-Piece Stove/Cookset - Walmart.com

https://www.walmart.com/ip/35670017?reviews_limit=5&

If anyone buys one please pot a review on this thread!
Old 06-12-15, 07:36 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
What would be exciting to me is if they sold them on the shelf. I've heard that my Trangia stove, even empty, would not be welcome in my luggage on the airline. I haven't put that to the test. But if I could get off the plane, assemble my bike, and swing by the nearest Walmart on the way out of town for my stove and fuel, that would solve some problems.
Old 06-12-15, 07:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I won't fly with my stove because if it were to get taken it would be an expensive loss. I ship it and an empty fuel bottle in the bike box. You can also ship it to yourself somewhere if you fly with your bike.
Old 06-12-15, 08:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Has nothing to do with the Native tribes around here, maybe a contraction of Chin_a and C_ook ..
Old 06-12-15, 10:42 AM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Instead of dropping $20+ on an alcohol cook stove and potentially having it seized by customs or airline security, I'll remain happily content with my 25 cent popcan alcohol stove. Works just as good, and I can fashion one in about three minutes after getting off the plane. Besides, anything more than a buck or two pricetag for a metal can seems laughably expensive.
Old 06-12-15, 11:27 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Timequake
Instead of dropping $20+ on an alcohol cook stove and potentially having it seized by customs or airline security, I'll remain happily content with my 25 cent popcan alcohol stove. Works just as good, and I can fashion one in about three minutes after getting off the plane. Besides, anything more than a buck or two pricetag for a metal can seems laughably expensive.
Yeah, I use a pop can stove too. I have flown with one quite a few times and never had a problem. If I was worried I'd take a new unused one each trip, but I have had no problems taking the same one over and over again so I haven't bothered lately. Worst case I'd make a new one when I start my trip, but I have not needed to do so.
Old 06-12-15, 08:10 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I like the Flat Cat type stoves or the Minibull. There are so many different types to choose from. But I don't carry them bike touring.
Old 06-12-15, 08:37 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The Chinook Trekker looks like a Trangia burner copy. No weight mentioned or screw cap (to save unused fuel) but does mention a simmer ring. The price appears to be a little less than those three Trangia stove parts purchased individually.

A Mini Trangia cook set costs from $30 to 36 dollars last I looked. It includes all the burner parts, windscreen, simmer ring, pot lifter, frypan/pot lid and cookpot. I view it as a better value with a known track record regarding materials used -brass. My 50 plus year old Trangia burners just keep working.

Just my biased experience talking again.
Old 06-12-15, 10:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Breaking news, WallyMart sells a new piece of crap, employees still can't afford to shop there.
Old 06-14-15, 05:47 PM
zeppinger

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by arctos
The Chinook Trekker looks like a Trangia burner copy. No weight mentioned or screw cap (to save unused fuel) but does mention a simmer ring. The price appears to be a little less than those three Trangia stove parts purchased individually.

A Mini Trangia cook set costs from $30 to 36 dollars last I looked. It includes all the burner parts, windscreen, simmer ring, pot lifter, frypan/pot lid and cookpot. I view it as a better value with a known track record regarding materials used -brass. My 50 plus year old Trangia burners just keep working.

Just my biased experience talking again.
Good points however, this is exact clone of the esbit cook set. What likely happened is that esbit commissioned the Chinese brand to make their cookers for them and then the Chinese brand just used the same plans to keep making them after their contract expired. Happens all the time and is legal. Except you will notice that their full cook sets are less than half the price of the Trangia, have some added features, and use more HA Aliminum.

Walmart: Chinook Aluminum Hard Anodized 9-Piece Stove/Cookset
Old 06-14-15, 05:48 PM
zeppinger

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Breaking news, WallyMart sells a new piece of crap, employees still can't afford to shop there.
Hey I don't like Walmart either but I doubt this is a "piece of crap". I have used other all a brand items when I rode across China and they were fantastic.
Old 06-14-15, 06:33 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
In the description it mentions a "simmer ring" that is not pictured. I believe it is just like the esbit knock off of the trangia. I own one, and its ok, it has an adjustable simmer ring that fits over the cap when stored. Never actually taken it or my trangia on a tour as they are just stupid heavy compared to my home made stoves that work just as well. They have seen a lot of use when the power lines are down when snowed in at home though, I have cooked a lot of stuff in big cast iron skillets with the esbit!

Thing is, I hate WM, and their crummy website pictures and descriptions written by people who have never seen it, and don't know what it is is really a turn off to buying one from them. Buy from rei, campmor, or the like for this sort of stuff.
Old 06-14-15, 11:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by zeppinger
Hey I don't like Walmart either but I doubt this is a "piece of crap". I have used other all a brand items when I rode across China and they were fantastic.
It is still a piece of crap. It might have worked just fine or maybe even better than fine but it is crap. Crap doesn't always have to be all bad. We call the bikes in the shop, turds, even though sometimes we get something quite nice.

However Wally-Mart is a bad place with bad practices that are screwing over the world and the more we can do to avoid them, the better.
Old 06-14-15, 11:06 PM
zeppinger

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It is still a piece of crap. It might have worked just fine or maybe even better than fine but it is crap. Crap doesn't always have to be all bad. We call the bikes in the shop, turds, even though sometimes we get something quite nice.

However Wally-Mart is a bad place with bad practices that are screwing over the world and the more we can do to avoid them, the better.
Yup, I dont like warmart either for most of the same reasons but I am here to talk about bikes and touring, not personal politics. Its a great price for what I suspect is a really nice piece of kit. If you dont have $120-$150 to buy the Trangia version this is a great option that I think people should know about. If you want to start an I-Hate-Walmart thread in the touring forum go ahead but lets not turn this one into that. :-)
Old 06-14-15, 11:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Yup, I dont like warmart either for most of the same reasons but I am here to talk about bikes and touring, not personal politics. Its a great price for what I suspect is a really nice piece of kit. If you dont have $120-$150 to buy the Trangia version this is a great option that I think people should know about. If you want to start an I-Hate-Walmart thread in the touring forum go ahead but lets not turn this one into that. :-)
I don't feel the need to start that thread but we are cyclists and the one things cyclists have is opinions and we like to share them and that is why we are here. If I was saying racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/speciesist things or talking about something unrelated to the subject sure, call it out, stop it from happening. However I am talking about Wally-Mart a company that is basically run by Darth Vader (voiced by James Earl Jones, of course) in a thread about Wally-Mart.
Old 06-14-15, 11:31 PM
zeppinger

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't feel the need to start that thread but we are cyclists and the one things cyclists have is opinions and we like to share them and that is why we are here. If I was saying racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/speciesist things or talking about something unrelated to the subject sure, call it out, stop it from happening. However I am talking about Wally-Mart a company that is basically run by Darth Vader (voiced by James Earl Jones, of course) in a thread about Wally-Mart.
As soon as its for sale someplace else that you like please let me and everyone else know. I have been waiting to source one of these in the US for 4-5 years now. Heck I would love to buy it from my local camping store but they don't have it. There was a website called Aliexpress that stocked them but they are just the Chinese version of Amazon, which also do not pay their workers well.

They do have much better photos and descriptions though for those that have read this far and are interested.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-Pc...254154794.html
Old 02-15-16, 05:40 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
You can pick it up from amazon or jet . com.

The website has some more info on this, Chinook Trekker Hard Anodized Stove/Cookset - Chinook Technical Outdoor (CTO)

I just picked up a trangia cookset and took advantage of a president day's sale.
Old 02-15-16, 06:58 PM
Bicycle365

Bikes: Surly LHT Custom Build

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by arctos
....No weight mentioned or screw cap (to save unused fuel) but does .....
From a review of the product on the WM site....

"Construction was solid. I refilled it after cooling to test it for leaks if traveling with it filled. The screw on lid had a substantial rubber o-ring that kept it from leaking when screwed on snugly. "
Old 02-15-16, 07:08 PM
rawly old

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey all,

So this is exciting for me and maybe some other people on here. When I was in China a few years back I found a brand called Alocs that made really good Trangia copies but their designs were actually an improvement on the Swedish Trangia system, using better materials, lighter weight, and cheaper. I was trolling the ineternet today and it looks like Walmart now offers this brand on their website. However, they are calling them Chinook now for whatever reason. Here is a link to one of the sets but you can search their site for other configurations.

Chinook Aluminum Hard Anodized 9-Piece Stove/Cookset - Walmart.com

Chinook Trekker Alcohol Burner with Windshield - Walmart.com

If anyone buys one please pot a review on this thread!
My alcohol stove is not so chic, the burner is a pop can set inside a tomato can, but hey,
it works fine & didn't cost $74 bucks.

Last edited by rawly old; 02-15-16 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 07:29 PM
zeppinger

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rawly old
My alcohol stove is not so chic, the burner is a pop can set inside a tomato can, but hey,
it works fine & didn't cost $74 bucks.
$76 (adding bucks is repetitive) is extremely cheap when compared to other all inclusive sets which nest and contain pots, pans, windscreens, and stoves. Doubly so for a high quality stove that will probably outlast everyone on this thread and definitely outlast a pop can stove. Also consider the increased fuel efficiency of these stoves compared to pop cans and buying this inexpensive set because pretty appealing.
Old 02-15-16, 10:21 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
That thing certainly doesn't look as good as a trangia. It's poked full of holes for one, which is troublesome even in mild wind.
Old 02-15-16, 10:31 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I was looking at all those holes and thinking that would be a problem.

Here is a review of the trangia 27; if you scroll down you'll see a diagram of the airflow within the system:

https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....rangia-27.html

Trangia is not expensive and the stuff has been tested; it just works. Plus you have a variety of fuels you can use with it in addition to alcohol. All in all, I think it is one of the finest stove systems you can buy.
Old 02-16-16, 12:02 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
^ agreed. You can get pretty fast cooking with a trangia even in heavy winds and with a gas / multifuel burner it's almost unfairly fast.

And you can get close to those with the spirit burner if you use the cold weather addon.
Old 02-16-16, 12:57 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts

I've often flown with a trangia burner. Just rinse it thoroughly with water so there's is absolutely no fuel smell, and pack it at the top of your checked baggage in case security get interested.

I have heard that mult-fuel burners can more troublesome when flying.

As someone above said, if you're worried, take a brand new cooker. They cost $15 or so neh?
Old 02-16-16, 12:58 AM
rawly old

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
$76 (adding bucks is repetitive) is extremely cheap when compared to other all inclusive sets which nest and contain pots, pans, windscreens, and stoves. Doubly so for a high quality stove that will probably outlast everyone on this thread and definitely outlast a pop can stove. Also consider the increased fuel efficiency of these stoves compared to pop cans and buying this inexpensive set because pretty appealing.
Not really when I can have something that functions as well practically for free. But then
I have a penchant for making my own possessions whenever possible. It makes me a lousy
consumer, but proud to have used my own hands to make what I want.

P. S. It's just as efficient, basically identical, simple to manufacture, lighter & more compact.
there are online videos on how to make one. Your thing might out last my pop can; it
might not, In either event, I can make a new one almost anywhere in a matter of a few
minutes. You can't do that with yours. In terms of man hours required to obtain, mine is
far less labor intensive unless you're a lawyer making 600 'bucks' an hour. Even then.
I can think of lotsa better ways to spend $75.

Last edited by rawly old; 02-16-16 at 01:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.