Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Down to 3 bikes - help :)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 06:57 AM
Askeptic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am down to my final 3 bikes and am wondering if anyone has ridden 2 or even all 3 of them that can give me their opinion. I am a "weekend warrior" who rides stationary during the week but gets on the road, mainly in local events, during the weekends. I ride 50 - 100 miles each event. I am looking to balance comfort as we ride normal roads with many imperfections, but at the same time try to keep the bike aero and fast for fun. I am looking at the following endurance bikes...

Pinarello GAN-K Disc - I love the looks of Pinarello bikes. My only gripe about this line is that they do not have an Ultegra Di2 option out of the box. Mechanical is significantly cheaper though. LBS sells pinarello but doesn't have the GAN-K Disc in my size so hard to completely judge the ride.

BMC Roadmachine - I love the looks of this bike as well. Still deciding between the 01 vs 02 depending on my LBS pricing (sale on 01) as to whether or not it is worth the money to go up. Looking at Ultegra Di2 on each set.

Specialized Roubaix - Throwing a big box bike in the mix. They have great warranties and the LBS that carries specialized is a good one. Again, looking at the Ultegra Di2 model. I think the suspension / comfort is best on this, but when it comes to speed and power, I feel it falls behind both the BMC and Pinarello but that may all be in my head as I can not feel the road as well.

Any advice?
Thanks!
Old 06-06-19, 10:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
There are so many little nuances that can only matter to you. All the bikes you listed are good to excellent bikes for someone.

How they fit you is the most important thing. Though sizing is described in terms of seat post height, the tube lengths and geometries can vary between mfrs and models that might make one fit you particularly well out of the door of the bike shop. However, the other might can be made to fit you just as well with a change in stem length, if the color of one draws you to it over the others.

Components probably are the next piece that I'd consider. Di2 or non Di2? I'd want the Di2. But it's not a deal breaker if everything else is pointing to a non-Di2 bike.

Is the bike design appropriate for the riding you want to do? Sounds like you have that covered. But I don't know how many times I see people on TT bikes that want to ride them mostly in a relaxed upright position. Go figure!

After that, the rest of the considerations are what attracts you to the bike.
Old 06-06-19, 10:59 AM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Really, all anyone can tell you is to ride them all and decide for yourself. If you ride all three, you'll know which is your future steed.

I ended up on a '20 Roubaix Comp and am very happy. I think I get what you mean about the Roubaix not "feeling" fast - compared to the more aggressive bikes I've ridden (TCR, CAAD 9, CAAD 10, Tarmac Pro Race), the Roubaix doesn't feel like a rocket ship and is almost certainly at the 20 lbs. mark for my 61 cm frame (you might size up in the current Spesh lineup). That said, nearly all of my PR's and Strava leaderboards are on the Roubaix - the proof has been in the numbers for me, it's just that damn smooth.

There's certainly room to upgrade the wheels on the Roubaix Comp and doing so would give it more of that "get up and go" feeling and shed a pound or so, no doubt.

I know Di2 is obviously great, and electronics our inevitable future, but if your 100+ mile rides venture into very remote territory (as they do here for me), don't write off the versatility of mechanical drivetrains when stuff gets weird.

Last edited by ridethetown; 06-06-19 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-06-19, 11:58 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I have the 2019 Roubaix Comp Di2. Not "feeling" the road as much makes a huge difference at mile 100... in a good way. I am far less beat up from rough roads after riding all day.
Old 06-06-19, 12:27 PM
Askeptic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethetown
Really, all anyone can tell you is to ride them all and decide for yourself. If you ride all three, you'll know which is your future steed.

I ended up on a '20 Roubaix Comp and am very happy. I think I get what you mean about the Roubaix not "feeling" fast - compared to the more aggressive bikes I've ridden (TCR, CAAD 9, CAAD 10, Tarmac Pro Race), the Roubaix doesn't feel like a rocket ship and is almost certainly at the 20 lbs. mark for my 61 cm frame (you might size up in the current Spesh lineup). That said, nearly all of my PR's and Strava leaderboards are on the Roubaix - the proof has been in the numbers for me, it's just that damn smooth.

There's certainly room to upgrade the wheels on the Roubaix Comp and doing so would give it more of that "get up and go" feeling and shed a pound or so, no doubt.

I know Di2 is obviously great, and electronics our inevitable future, but if your 100+ mile rides venture into very remote territory (as they do here for me), don't write off the versatility of mechanical drivetrains when stuff gets weird.
Thanks for the info. The Roubaix is one heck of a nice bike for sure. Another thing about Specialized is their nice warranty. The more I look in to the BMC or Pinarello, the warranties scare me. I read elsewhere of someone else getting PR's on the Roubaix due to the smoothness as well, so definitely not discounting that. Thanks for sharing the info you did, it helps me a lot.

Originally Posted by surak
I have the 2019 Roubaix Comp Di2. Not "feeling" the road as much makes a huge difference at mile 100... in a good way. I am far less beat up from rough roads after riding all day.
I agree with that!
Old 06-06-19, 12:28 PM
Askeptic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
There are so many little nuances that can only matter to you. All the bikes you listed are good to excellent bikes for someone.

How they fit you is the most important thing. Though sizing is described in terms of seat post height, the tube lengths and geometries can vary between mfrs and models that might make one fit you particularly well out of the door of the bike shop. However, the other might can be made to fit you just as well with a change in stem length, if the color of one draws you to it over the others.

Components probably are the next piece that I'd consider. Di2 or non Di2? I'd want the Di2. But it's not a deal breaker if everything else is pointing to a non-Di2 bike.

Is the bike design appropriate for the riding you want to do? Sounds like you have that covered. But I don't know how many times I see people on TT bikes that want to ride them mostly in a relaxed upright position. Go figure!

After that, the rest of the considerations are what attracts you to the bike.
Thanks! Very good points. My Specialized shop has a roubaix I tested, and I also tested the BMC but they didn't have any Pinarello's in my size to test yet.
Old 06-06-19, 12:39 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Specialized Tarmac?
Old 06-06-19, 01:40 PM
Askeptic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Specialized Tarmac?
Tarmac is a great bike. Very fast... I just do not think my back can personally take that geometry over ~50+ miles.