Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Even though I own 4 Carbon bikes, I still

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Even though I own 4 Carbon bikes, I still

Old 10-10-09, 05:44 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Bikes: Isaac Impulse, Litespeed Solano, Mongoose Bosberg, Trek 5500, (recently sold Litespeed Classic, Scott Speedster Flat bar)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kuf
As long as you can comb it forward... sure whatever. But that is what a woman notices from those brag pictures of yours.

It's funny how you think that's an insult.
Thanks for the tip. Now here's one for you. Wear a lot of black.
Old 10-10-09, 05:49 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyrider
Thanks for the tip. Now here's one for you. Wear a lot of black.
I think it's really sad that someone who is as fat as you were feels the need to criticise others on their appearance.
Old 10-10-09, 05:51 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Bikes: Isaac Impulse, Litespeed Solano, Mongoose Bosberg, Trek 5500, (recently sold Litespeed Classic, Scott Speedster Flat bar)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I think it's really sad that someone who is as fat as you were feels the need to criticise others on their appearance.
You dish it out, you need to be able to take it. umd, you are far from innocent around here. I remember a poll not long ago where you were up at the top for being a blowhard. I am all for ball busting and can take it and dish it out. It is funny, but don't be a baby about it.
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
lazy, do you ever post anything on bikeforums other than how great you are and look at all the stuff you have?
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You dish it out, you need to be able to take it. umd, you are far from innocent around here. I remember a poll not long ago where you were up at the top for being a blowhard. I am all for ball busting and can take it and dish it out. It is funny, but don't be a baby about it.
how am I being a baby about it?

I think you are pathetic and sad.

And I was second runner up (third). You were very close behind, IIRC.
Old 10-10-09, 05:52 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I am 6 feet and 180lbs now. I was 260lb in that picture you posted making a point to show how fat I was. You are not innocent, you are a punk.
Old 10-10-09, 05:55 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
how am I being a baby about it?

And I was second runner up (third). You were very close behind, IIRC.
The difference between you and me is that I am deliberate in what I say around here and you are just naturally annoying.
Old 10-10-09, 05:55 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am 6 feet and 180lbs now. I was 260lb in that picture you posted making a point to show how fat I was. You are not innocent, you are a punk.
I meant was. You haven't succeeded in making me feel bad about myself, but I'm tiring of this thread and I'm off to spend some time with the missus...
Old 10-10-09, 05:56 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
lazy, do you ever post anything on bikeforums other than how great you are and look at all the stuff you have?

Another grammatical/typo error.

Last edited by Lazyrider; 10-10-09 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-10-09, 06:20 PM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't believe I wasted my time reading this thread and now am actually posting.

Lazyrider, you started the personal attack on UMD, posting his pic first, why you felt you needed to do that is beyond me, I didn't read anything UMD posted that was personal against you, so why you made it personal with him is beyond me.

I do not know UMD, but from all my time spent on BF, he seems to provide a lot more useful information then you, by a long shot. You havea an opinion that CF is a fad and not worth it, others feel the opposite. They are opinions, opinions aren't right or wrong.
Old 10-10-09, 06:23 PM
WCroadie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dilberto
Visit this website, and you'll be GLAD you kept your Titanium or Aluminum bike:

https://www.bustedcarbon.com/
Did you even look at the site?

Here is a steel frame failure where the carbon fork survived the crash

I would bet that most of the crashes that caused the carbon to break would also have ruined an aluminum or steel frame as well.
Old 10-10-09, 06:28 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WCroadie
I can't believe I wasted my time reading this thread and now am actually posting.

Lazyrider, you started the personal attack on UMD, posting his pic first, why you felt you needed to do that is beyond me, I didn't read anything UMD posted that was personal against you, so why you made it personal with him is beyond me.

I do not know UMD, but from all my time spent on BF, he seems to provide a lot more useful information then you, by a long shot. You havea an opinion that CF is a fad and not worth it, others feel the opposite. They are opinions, opinions aren't right or wrong.
No offense, but you don't know what you are talking about. He always finds his way into my threads and his first post here was about my threads being a train wreck. If you agree with that, fine. I am a big boy, but don't tell me he doesn't instigate cuz you are way off.

As far as my OP. If you read what I said, I admit CF is the best material from a weight/stiffness perspective. My post of the Carl Strong video was simply to show how USA labor and time that goes into making a custom ti frame should not cost less than a Chinese made CF frame other than that based upon hype and the need to have the latest technology.
Old 10-10-09, 06:34 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
That's what they say about me, but I'm not really sad.
Old 10-10-09, 06:35 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Frankly, I think I would crush all of you silly bike weenies at arm wrestling. Those big guns of mine are good for something after all.
Old 10-10-09, 06:43 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Frankly, I think I would crush all of you silly bike weenies at arm wrestling. Those big guns of mine are good for something after all.
Pcad isn't getting attention so he hijacks this one that has been busy. Gotta love that.
Old 10-10-09, 06:45 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what they say about me, but I'm not really sad.

Pcad, do you sing Opera? Cuz all I ever hear out of you is ME ME ME ME ME ME MEEEEEE
Old 10-10-09, 06:52 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
As far as my OP. If you read what I said, I admit CF is the best material from a weight/stiffness perspective. My post of the Carl Strong video was simply to show how USA labor and time that goes into making a custom ti frame should not cost less than a Chinese made CF frame other than that based upon hype and the need to have the latest technology.
This is a Pinarello factory tour from several years ago, when the F4:13 was their top-shelf bike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu3c_...54E0F&index=55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhnut...54E0F&index=56

It looks like Carl Strong's operation, just on a larger scale.

All things equal, if a Chinese factory can make a similar or even better quality bike as either of the above (Pinarello or Strong) at a fraction of the price and the market is willing to pay similarly for the frame, and you were the owner of a bike frame manufacturer, where would you move your factory?

Your assumptions might be wrong in the first place that you generalize and aggregate every factory in China as one entity.

Welcome to the New Bike Weenie Disorder...
Old 10-10-09, 06:56 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
See,
Typo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't hold this against you. Just the fact that you use "Dawg" at all. Trust me, my life has been anything but privileged, DAWG.
But, unlike you, I'm not bothered by typos. ***** happens.

I wasn't the one being a grammar nazi in the first place.

I'm glad the dawg thing is catching on. Sorry, your hair's turning as white as your skin. Ride more.

Also, don't saw dawg in public. You'll probably get throttled.

Don't let me get started on you Botto. You never addressed your typographical error there, Dawg.
"Lol"

Originally Posted by umd
I meant was. You haven't succeeded in making me feel bad about myself, but I'm tiring of this thread and I'm off to spend some time with the missus...
Bow chica wow wow.

The difference between you and me is that I am deliberate in what I say around here and you are just naturally annoying.
So what you're saying is that you're just naturally an asshat. Is that why you're left collecting bikes and watches and still in on a saturday night?

Last edited by ridethecliche; 10-10-09 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-10-09, 06:57 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Pcad, do you sing Opera? Cuz all I ever hear out of you is ME ME ME ME ME ME MEEEEEE
What else is there on BF? Bergen County posers like YOU YOU YOU YOU?

Please.
Old 10-10-09, 06:59 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
This is a Pinarello factory tour from several years ago, when the F4:13 was their top-shelf bike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu3c_...54E0F&index=55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhnut...54E0F&index=56

It looks like Carl Strong's operation, just on a larger scale.

All things equal, if a Chinese factory can make a similar or even better quality bike as either of the above (Pinarello or Strong) at a fraction of the price and the market is willing to pay similarly for the frame, and you were the owner of a bike frame manufacturer, where would you move your factory?

Your assumptions might be wrong in the first place that you generalize and aggregate every factory in China as one entity.

Welcome to the New Bike Weenie Disorder...
I see your point but I am only looking at it from a consumer's perspective. With almost all if not all other products that are manufactured in China, the price goes DOWN. But with CF frames, the prices go up.

Like I said and asked in past but nobody ever answers this question. Would you still pay $1,000,000+ for a Ferrari Enzo made in China? This is an extremely relevant question because Ferrari's mystique is based on where and how it is made. Colango and Pinarello are the cycling equivalent.
Old 10-10-09, 07:04 PM
Lazyrider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What else is there on BF? Bergen County posers like YOU YOU YOU YOU?

Please.
Poser? I usually ride before anyone is even up to see me or my bikes.
This is the definition of poser and I am sure the opposite of this.

poser
1.one who pretends to be someone whose not.
2. who tries to fit in but with exaggeration
Old 10-10-09, 07:08 PM
WCroadie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No offense, but you don't know what you are talking about. He always finds his way into my threads and his first post here was about my threads being a train wreck. If you agree with that, fine. I am a big boy, but don't tell me he doesn't instigate cuz you are way off.

OK you are correct, I read his first post quickly, just took it as this thread was a train wreck, meaning it turned into one, but reading it again you are right.

I don't have a problem with your opinion about CF, like I said, people's opinions can't be right or wrong.
And that's why I bought a made in the USA CF frame
Old 10-10-09, 07:10 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

I see your point but I am only looking at it from a consumer's perspective. With almost all if not all other products that are manufactured in China, the price goes DOWN. But with CF frames, the prices go up.

Like I said and asked in past but nobody ever answers this question. Would you still pay $1,000,000+ for a Ferrari Enzo made in China? This is an extremely relevant question because Ferrari's mystique is based on where and how it is made. Colango and Pinarello are the cycling equivalent.
I would not buy a Ferrari so it's not a relevant question.

However, if Lamborghini was owned or made in China and it was the driving experience I wanted and I was willing to shell out $1M+ for it, I would have no problem doing so.

But getting back to the point, if you watch the Pinarello videos--which were filmed around 2005 or before, since Pettachi was on Fassa Bortolo at the time--they used an oversized BB in the Dogma FP with internal bearings. This is very similar to the BB30 concept in terms of stiffness, weight, etc. advantages.

Carl Strong is not innovating like Pinarello. He's making a quality, basic bike. Innovation has to count for something and often times, it comes at a hefty price...
Old 10-10-09, 07:12 PM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Bikes: Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's no Isaac...
Old 10-10-09, 07:14 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Originally Posted by NathanC
It's no Isaac...
lol?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.