Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Larger 45mm to 50mm gravel tires

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 01-27-16, 12:11 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

Im using a 1 3/4 inch wide Schwalbe Smart Sam, 700x47 tire. The size is perfect, but I'd like to find a lighter and more supple tire with a gravel appropriate tread. I also use a a 120 tpi Clement MSO, but would like a larger size than 700x40.

What are my options?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-27-16 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-27-16, 01:27 PM
jtbadge

Bikes: Newish steel.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bruce Gordon Rock 'n' Roads.

Old 01-28-16, 09:50 AM
stdlrf11
Living the Dream

Bikes: 2015 AWOL Frameset with custom drivetrain, 20?? Windsor Tourist, 2010 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been very happy with my Kenda Kosmik Lite tires.

They are 29x2.0 (700x50), 120tpi, tubeless compatible, and have the dual compound tread.

They roll smooth on the pavement and they are awesome on gravel and dirt.
I've ridden them for 2000 miles and they still have plenty of tread. At this rate, I could see getting 4k+ miles out of them.
I wish Kenda would make them in 700x45. That would be the perfect tire.
Old 01-28-16, 01:40 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
700x50 is normally called a 29x2.0.

...If you're tubeless, I would definitely look at 1.8 - 2.0" 29er XC tires. Some of them are extremely fast, but longevity maybe not the best.
Old 01-28-16, 01:50 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
700x50 is normally called a 29x2.0.

...If you're tubeless, I would definitely look at 1.8 - 2.0" 29er XC tires. Some of them are extremely fast, but longevity maybe not the best.
I can go with tubeless XC tire. What would you recommend in a 29X1.8? I will be avoiding damp conditions and would like a faster tire on non-technical surfaces.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-28-16, 02:11 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I can go with tubeless XC tire. What would you recommend in a 29X1.8? I will be avoiding damp conditions and would like a faster tire on non-technical surfaces.
Conti and Schwalbe have a lot of options, but they get expensive fast. Conti has a bunch of touring / trekking tires in the 1.8 - 2.0 range, which are listed on their site as '28x2.0' but they definitely are the 700c / 29er ETRTO (622) that you're looking for.

Problem is the Contis are heavy. Many of their trekking tires are long-wearing and puncture resistant, but well in excess of 800g. And they're typically not tubeless.

Schwalbe has tubeless 29x2.0 which are really fast - Furious Fred or Thunder Burt-- but they wear fast and cost a lot.

Personally I'd use Specialized Renegade Control 2Bliss 29x2.0, but you could pick the 1.8 instead. $55, have your LBS order them in if they don't stock. Because of the number of small knobs, they'll still work in gravel for long after the center section has worn smooth.