Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I almost got doored - yet most drivers blame me. How do we improve car culture?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I almost got doored - yet most drivers blame me. How do we improve car culture?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 01:19 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Maitreya
I am amazed that they have cars parking that way. Of course that will lead to accidents. Drivers do not look for bicyclists!
You ever venture east of the Rockies, or ride in any city laid out before 1900? You would be amazed to learn that they are different in many ways than cities located the Sun Belt.
Old 09-23-19, 01:22 PM
janzep

Bikes: Look 566

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Door Ed

Glad you are OK. Sorry this happened. Bike lanes beside a row of parked vehicles are counter intuitive to me. Being doored is very bad, being struck from behind when instinctively swerving to avoid one is tragic. You need at least a three foot margin to be safer and if that requires you to "take the lane" then I recommend you do so.
On the larger attitudinal issue we need to remove the poisonous dialogue that exists between drivers and cyclists in North America as exemplified in many of the replies you received. This is what differentiates us from the Europeans even more so than infrastructure. How we can achieve that is fodder for another post.
Old 09-23-19, 01:25 PM
BurleyCat
Qfactor

Bikes: Santa Cruz, Bridgestone, Raleigh, Rudge, Specialized, Burley, Schwinn

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
You end your post with:

I'm just baffled. How can you blame a cyclist for riding in the bike lane and not blame the careless driver who flings their door open? How do we change people's mentality?[/QUOTE]

Bikes, dogs, the beach. It's a great combination until you add cars and their drivers. Don't count on changing people's mentalities any time soon. Consider a child carrying bicycle trailer. Good second hand child trailers are affordable and will allow you to transport your furry friends to the beach with less distraction. You can't afford any impediments when dealing with cars and traffic.
Likes For BurleyCat:
Old 09-23-19, 02:56 PM
drzdave58

Bikes: Ruff custom build..Electra mulholland 3i..vanmoof S3..1947rollfast...felt happy hour..focus planet..Dahon curve d3 41 Schwinn custom..Moulton tsr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I was riding down a bike path the other day and a woman was up ahead kneeling in the grass off the path doing something...I didn’t think much of it and was moving along at a good clip cause it was a downgrade...when I was about 10 from her something caught my eye on the other side of the path ..I realized it was a small dog...and there was a practically invisible leash connected to it right across the whole path...I slammed on my brakes and the woman stood up ...I said ‘are you f****ing kidding me lady?..your blocking the whole path with the leash!!’...she replied ‘you should have rung your bell”...ggrrrrr
Old 09-23-19, 03:01 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by janzep
Glad you are OK. Sorry this happened. Bike lanes beside a row of parked vehicles are counter intuitive to me. Being doored is very bad, being struck from behind when instinctively swerving to avoid one is tragic. You need at least a three foot margin to be safer and if that requires you to "take the lane" then I recommend you do so.
On the larger attitudinal issue we need to remove the poisonous dialogue that exists between drivers and cyclists in North America as exemplified in many of the replies you received. This is what differentiates us from the Europeans even more so than infrastructure. How we can achieve that is fodder for another post.
you build infrastructure to get more people on bikes, normalizing it, and also actually enforce laws against endangering non-motorists

it's not like this is a mystery or has never been done in the world before
Likes For sheddle:
Old 09-23-19, 03:06 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
How about a 10 foot height restriction on Monster Pickup Trucks and SUV's? Probably too radical for many parts of the US, but it would be a good first step.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 09-23-19, 03:10 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You ever venture east of the Rockies, or ride in any city laid out before 1900? You would be amazed to learn that they are different in many ways than cities located the Sun Belt.
The OP posted a about city incorporated in 1886, riding on a road that was laid out before 1900, which is west of the Rockies. But whatever.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-23-19 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-23-19, 03:56 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by howardv
How do we change people's mentality?
You can't!
Old 09-23-19, 04:21 PM
RohloffRoller

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Some say I rode too close to the parked car, so it was my fault.

Yes it was your fault. I would ride on the extreme left of that lane on the white line that seperates it from the roadway and keep an eye on my mirror for traffic coming from behind.

Mike
Old 09-23-19, 05:00 PM
mjd420nova

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As a youngster, six decades ago, I met the inside of a passenger door, luckily (??) the window was rolled down and I went through. Spent three days in the hospital, the week before Mothers Day. I know I will catch three kinds of hell for making my stand BUT
The Only way to be sure that driver getting out of his car doesn't do it in front of you is to ride facing the parked cars. You see them, make eye contact and they wait. Don't ever expect any driver to look first before opening the door. Look for drivers and be prepared to dodge, not always an option in traffic but better than smashing into them from behind when they step out. As a wee little one, I was taught that you always walk and ride facing traffic and even though it may be illegal, my OCD takes over and screw the cop who wants to be a dick.
Old 09-23-19, 05:06 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by mr_bill
The OP posted a about city incorporated in 1886, riding on a road that was laid out before 1900, which is west of the Rockies. But whatever.

-mr. bill
My comment/question was addressed to Maitreya from NM (not the OP) who posted that he was amazed that they have cars parked that way.

But whatever, posters from Boston do seem to post in mysterious ways, sometimes imagining discussions, sometimes posting irrelevant or obscure B.S. dredged up from frantic Googling in order to prove some cryptic point, oblivious to the discussion at hand.
Old 09-24-19, 01:20 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Your unnamed source is presumably dated almost 2 years ago, any more recent info on the status of the fielding of this innovation? Has its implementation filtered down into any/many more common model besides the super expensiveAudi flagship? Does it work as advertised? Any problems, such as preventing occupants from safely exiting parallel parked cars when any vehicle is nearby or approaching in an adjacent traffic lane? [Edit: probably not since it doesn't lock the doors at all.]
Can the driver/owner can turn off this door restraint system?

You omitted the part in my Googled source https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...ch-115989.html that said back in 2017 -

According to Audi system expert Georg Maier: “The first thing is there is a warning. It’s based on the sensors in the rear. The second thing is it delays the release of the door, so whenever there is traffic from the rear it delays door opening by 0.8 seconds.”
All irrelevant minutia, and not the point. I provided one of several examples and included the date as a time reference. Anyone with an open mind would have seen that.

The technology exists, is recognized by the auto industry, and applied. That was the point. Your previous posts to the contrary have been invalidated. Now stop the juvenile sidestepping, learn from your mistakes, and move on.
Old 09-24-19, 06:05 AM
mr_bill

-mr. bill
Old 09-24-19, 08:58 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by mjd420nova
As a youngster, six decades ago, I met the inside of a passenger door, luckily (??) the window was rolled down and I went through. Spent three days in the hospital, the week before Mothers Day. I know I will catch three kinds of hell for making my stand BUT
The Only way to be sure that driver getting out of his car doesn't do it in front of you is to ride facing the parked cars. You see them, make eye contact and they wait. Don't ever expect any driver to look first before opening the door. Look for drivers and be prepared to dodge, not always an option in traffic but better than smashing into them from behind when they step out. As a wee little one, I was taught that you always walk and ride facing traffic and even though it may be illegal, my OCD takes over and screw the cop who wants to be a dick.
There is so much wrong with riding a bicycle AGAINST traffic flow that it's be hard to tell you all of it.

#1 . Drivers are NOT expecting you to be riding against traffic.
#2 . You might THINK you've made eye contact with a driver but the odds are the driver does NOT see you and that's because they aren't looking for or expecting to see a bicyclist.
#3 . You put any other bicyclist who is riding WITH traffic in the same area at risk.

I had a wrong direction riding bicyclist approach me whilst I was riding down a very busy main street here in town. I pulled over next to the line of parked cars and stopped. I was not about to swerve into another lane of traffic and thereby risk myself. I forced him to go around me and as he did so I told him that riding against traffic was very dangerous for him to do.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 09-24-19, 09:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
To me the door zone requires a pretty simple set of options--either establish yourself in the traffic lane before you get to the row of parked cars, in which case I can ride fast or proceed very slowly if I can't ride outside of the door zone so I have time to stop or yell before I make contact with the door. That method's only worked for me since I started doing it in 1984 (after my one and only dooring close call on Magazine Street, New Orleans) , so I'll let you know if it still works for the next 35 years.
Old 09-24-19, 09:39 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by mjd420nova
Your advice is to ride directly into on-coming traffic? That is really..... something.
Old 09-24-19, 10:21 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by KraneXL
All irrelevant minutia, and not the point. I provided one of several examples and included the date as a time reference. Anyone with an open mind would have seen that.

The technology exists, is recognized by the auto industry, and applied. That was the point. Your previous posts to the contrary have been invalidated. Now stop the juvenile sidestepping, learn from your mistakes, and move on.
"The technology exists" is a statement as vague and meaningless as "They are out there".

Is the alleged application of "the technology" actually available to the public or does it exist only in press releases, where is it being applied, and at what cost, does it work as advertised, is it reliable, do many/any consumers actually have any good things to say about it? Irrelevant minutia, eh? Talk about sidestepping.

Any breathless social media reports yet of how "the technology saved my life when it prevented a door zone collision"?

Bicyclists expecting "the technology" to protect them from the hazard of door zone riding, or even reduce the risk from inattentive or careless bicycle riding in potential door zone situations are in for a very long wait.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 09-24-19 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-24-19, 10:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
"The technology exists" is a statement as vague and meaningless as "They are out there".

Is the alleged application of "the technology" actually available to the public or does it exist only in press releases, where is it being applied, and at what cost, does it work as advertised, is it reliable, do many/any consumers actually have any good things to say about it? Irrelevant minutia, eh? Talk about sidestepping.

Any breathless social media reports yet of how "the technology saved my life when it prevented a door zone collision"?

Bicyclists expecting "the technology" to protect them from the hazard of door zone riding, or even reduce the risk from inattentive or careless bicycle riding in potential door zone situations are in for a very long wait.
Besides, I've already got it covered by my "rapidly ascending hoverbike" technology, which I will unveil any minute now. Everybody hold their breath.
Old 09-24-19, 10:59 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Besides, I've already got it covered by my "rapidly ascending hoverbike" technology, which I will unveil any minute now. Everybody hold their breath.
Hurry, hurry, if you want to be first to apply the technology, I read somewhere that someone said that Elon Musk will has fan boys lining up now for his version of this "technology" to be introduced any minute now.
Old 09-24-19, 11:01 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
To me the door zone requires a pretty simple set of options--either establish yourself in the traffic lane before you get to the row of parked cars, in which case I can ride fast or proceed very slowly if I can't ride outside of the door zone so I have time to stop or yell before I make contact with the door. That method's only worked for me since I started doing it in 1984 (after my one and only dooring close call on Magazine Street, New Orleans) , so I'll let you know if it still works for the next 35 years.
yeah, this is me. Generally I ride at a reasonable pace in the door lane to give myself braking time for any hazards, and take the traffic lane if it's a downhill. We do have a few downhill bike lanes in the door zone and I'm not going to risk those, especially on a bike with old single-pivot brakes.

personally I think non-buffered bike lanes by parking lanes should be deprecated in favor of PBLs and buffered lanes, but try removing parking in any city and see how long it takes for "small business owners" and "community groups" to call for your head.

Last edited by sheddle; 09-24-19 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-24-19, 01:08 PM
Mitkraft

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I can't get past the OP's ridiculous behavior in the video. He's taking a dog on a leash into a bike lane on a street and riding his ebike fairly fast. So basically, he's limited his own ability to adapt his path around any obstacle in the bike lane without causing the leashed dog to go into the traffic lane. The driver didn't "fling" the door open, caught the mistake before any harm was actually done, and then the OP proceeds to throw a tantrum.

Bike lanes are for biking, not dog walking. I see no reason for cycling advocates to ignore that just because the dog walker is on a bike.
I completely agree with this. If the OP is going to get all hissy about someone else's unsafe behavior he needs to look at his own. You should NEVER have your dog running along beside you on your left (between you and traffic). That is just dumb and extremely dangerous for the dog. I wouldn't even do that in a neighborhood much less on a faster road as you appear to be. This is clearly one of those cases where you have talked yourself into believing that this behavior is perfectly safe when you couldn't be more wrong. If a cyclist does stupid stuff and causes himself harm then that's on him but when you put your pets in danger that's just not right!
Likes For Mitkraft:
Old 09-24-19, 03:46 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
CRIKEY! Looking at that second video makes me shudder. Talk about an accident waiting to happen! Besides which, in parts of the video the dog is running BEHIND you where you can't see it. Unbelievable that you believe this is safe in any area where there are motor vehicles.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 09-25-19, 05:44 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
Hurry, hurry, if you want to be first to apply the technology, I read somewhere that someone said that Elon Musk will has fan boys lining up now for his version of this "technology" to be introduced any minute now.
Do you really need to preach the same things over and over in all the threads in this forum? Bashing technology and expressing your disdain for the people who actually are trying to solve problems? And you bring nothing new to the table. Your nonsensical routine comes through a machine that you gladly hold in your hands, through wires and radio waves which are all a part of the same technological legacy that you hate, from the people who -"unlike you"- were actually "doing" something to change things.
Old 09-25-19, 07:55 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick
Do you really need to preach the same things over and over in all the threads in this forum?
Sure why not? Responses in counterpoint seem appropriate and on topic just as long as BF posters keep making spacey claims that future applications of undeveloped or not yet invented "Technology!" will protect the public in general, and bicyclist specifically in ways yet to be determined.

Unsubstantiated Claims/predictions about future implementation of safety features that are based on Technology! that dreamers would like to see invented/designed/applied, and believe that it's implementation are imminent (if not already available somewhere) need to be pointed out as the desired fantasies that they currently are.

The silliest specious defense by [B]Technology![/B fan boies of their unlimited belief that all things are not only possible, but are in fact sure things to be implemented and fielded are that a press release promised/mentioned it, or better yet, because Smartphones exist!
Old 09-25-19, 08:21 AM
mr_bill

Go to your local Hyundai dealer already.

-mr. bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.