Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Studded tires on pavement

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 12:12 PM
SeraphimF

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm inheriting a (modern) bike with an internal 3 speed built up by my friend because he got a new frame and components for free. Just have to put handlebars, pedals, and a saddle on it. The tires he currently has on it are super skinny, and I want to use it as my winter bike, putting a full chainguard and fenders on it. I live in Central NJ and the roads usually get plowed decently, but I'd sometimes have to ride on softish snow, or packed snow, probably some ice but I don't expect huge stretches of solid ice. Given that most of my winter riding will just be on bad roads and not on actual solid snow/ice, should I get studded tires or just MTB tires with a specific tread? The guys at the LBS recommended one that has a square/cube shaped tread, I can't remember the name. I remember Sheldon Brown mentioning that the tires on his Winter MTB-3(2?1?) SS had a similar tread. Are studded tires horrible to ride with on pavement? I've heard various things. I'm thinking the MTB tires with appropriate tread and PSI would work for my needs, but just want some more input. Thanks.
Old 10-28-16, 12:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Riding studded tires on otherwise clean pavement is a drag, but you do it so that a random patch of ice won't catch you off-guard and cause a crash. Get tires with carbide-tipped studs and you won't have to worry about them wearing down.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-28-16, 01:40 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, studded tires are slower on pavement. They also make a really menacing sound.

However, they're excellent at preventing surprise wipeouts. In my experience, these are most often caused by fresh glare ice, which comes from yesterday afternoon's snow melt pooling on the plowed pavement and freezing overnight.

Studs don't do anything for traction on snow; the lug pattern and rubber composition make the most difference. And snow can have incredibly variable conditions for traction; ask any skier or snowboarder.

I use studded fat tires for ultimate traction (which comes with plenty of rolling resistance).
You may consider a non-studded winter tire, like the Continental Top Contact Winter II, which has a cold-specific tread and rubber compound.
Studded tires like Schwalbe Winter or Marathon Winter.
or Suomi tires are well-regarded for winter commuting. Peter White sells them and has lots of in-depth data on his site.

Studded tires sometimes are slow-rollers because of their heavy construction, as well as because of the studs. I have a pair of Suomi Mount+Ground W160s that are really sluggish, but part of that is they're almost twice the weight of the lightweight tires that I was using the summer.
Conversely, my Dillinger 5 fat tires are barely slower than my summer tires, Ground Control 4.6" (the Dillingers have folding beads and lightweight casing).
So, total tire weight makes a difference in speed, as always.
Old 10-28-16, 01:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Suomi Nokian mount and ground W Tires
https://www.rei.com/product/780258/n...e-tire-26-x-19

have been fine for my winter Ice on the street , + bare pavement, sub zero C transportation needs for 20 years.

the center is not studded but the 2 rows do engage for traction ..

'/,

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-28-16 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-28-16, 02:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
Yes, studded tires are slower on pavement. They also make a really menacing sound.
You ain't kidding! I laughed out loud when I tried my studded tires on pavement last winter. They are really loud!

They were useless to me last winter in NYC, as we didn't have ice. We had one big snowfall, about 24 inches. The city was really aggressive about plowing. They plowed every day for around two weeks until it was all gone, and the temperatures didn't swing much. Sometimes we had slush but no ice.

Central NJ is very slightly warmer than NYC. Unless we have an unusual winter, we won't get much ice, if any. And as has been said, studded tires don't help at all in snow or slush.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-31-16, 03:20 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You ain't kidding! I laughed out loud when I tried my studded tires on pavement last winter. They are really loud!
My studded Dillinger 5's sound like an angry swarm of metal bees.

Normally, I hate noisy bikes. I especially hate rear hubs with loud pawls (King, anyone?). But after riding the studded tires on pavement, I can understand why people like the "menacing" sound of a CK hub. When I roll up behind someone, they know it.

Still, I try not to ride those tires on pavement if I can help it. If the paths are clear, I ride a bike with "normal" tires.

Originally Posted by noglider
They were useless to me last winter in NYC, as we didn't have ice. We had one big snowfall, about 24 inches. The city was really aggressive about plowing. They plowed every day for around two weeks until it was all gone, and the temperatures didn't swing much. Sometimes we had slush but no ice.

Central NJ is very slightly warmer than NYC. Unless we have an unusual winter, we won't get much ice, if any. And as has been said, studded tires don't help at all in snow or slush.
My commute is mostly on a MUP, which doesn't get plowed in the winter. Though the Dillinger 5 tires seem like overkill, there are times when they're perfect.
The worst is when there's a couple inches of snow, some folks ride tire tracks through the snow, and then the tracks freeze solid overnight. Those frozen ruts will cause a spill on a narrower tire, even with studs.

Also, the massive tires allow me to explore the unique winter terrain of snow and ice. Last year, the lowest areas near the river were flooded at Christmas. Then, we had a hard freeze before the waters receded. When they did, the ice crust at the flood level collapsed (except where it was held up by trees and such). This made for breathtaking exploration rides, riding on surfaces that don't exist the rest of the year. Super fun!

My fatty is overkill for most commuting, but it can take me places few commuter bikes can.