Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Barrel adjuster turning by its self.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 09:21 PM
Preco

Bikes: Specilized Crosstrail Comp, Canondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had some shifting problems as I ride down shifting becomes a problem. Have had bike in shop several times by the way bike is 2/12 months old Cannondale Synapse 5 105 to be checked out they have changed cables,shifters, adjusted rear derailleur still I have problems. I have adjusted rear derailleur myself when I ride down shifting becomes erratic when down shifting. So I placed a dot on barrel adjuster and one on RD as I ride the barrel adjuster loosens. So I tapped on cable housing barrel adjuster move the more I tap the more it moved. What do you think?
Old 08-19-13, 10:18 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5805 Post(s)
Liked 2,621 Times in 1,455 Posts
"self adjusting" cable adjusters are a common problem. That's why most have some kind of retention system such as a locknut, click, or spring. Even so, many will self adjust anyway.

The best thing you can do is improvise a way to gum up the threads so the barrel is harder to turn. You want it to be fairly easy to move, but sticky enough to stay put. There's a product made for the job called "vibra-tite" sold for automotive and industrial markets where they (like us) want adjusting screws to be movable, but stay put until then. It's fairly expensive, so you might want to improvise using rubber cement or whatever.

Down the road when you replace the cable, buy a stainless steel nut, and put a locknut on the adjusting barrel.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-20-13, 09:27 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I've ran into "self adjusting" barrels due to corrosion between the housing ferrule and the barrel. If the ferrule can't turn within the barrel when you make the adjustment, the result is that the cable housing gets twisted and becomes a sort of torsion spring. The spring wants to unwind and will eventually do so assuming that there aren't strong detents holding the adjustment in place. I had it happen to me on the front derailler of a bike and I found myself tweaking it every other ride or so. I finally figured it out when I sold the bike because I re-cabled it for the new owner, something I clearly should have done for myself (but the bike had always shifted fine otherwise).
Old 08-21-13, 01:52 AM
acrowder

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my professional opinion, your bike is haunted by unquiet spirits. They may be trying to hurt you. Try burning some sage inside of your frame.
Old 08-21-13, 02:07 AM
tomacropod
ot.net slave

Bikes: Salsa mtb * 3, Intense mtb * 1, Abeni SS rd * 1, Salsa road/touring * 2, Trek Damn one * 1, Vintage/projects * many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blue loctite or simple grease should work fine.

- Joel
Old 08-21-13, 07:07 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Originally Posted by tomacropod

- Joel
Typically those two items are used for very different purposes. How do you propose that either could fix the issue at hand?
Old 08-21-13, 07:18 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by tomacropod

- Joel
Why in god's name would anyone Loctite an adjusting barrel. A thick very sticky grease might work, but odds don't favor it.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 08-21-13, 07:41 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
+1 on blue loctite. Blue loctite is NOT a glue. It will only create enough bind that the adjuster shouldnt move.
Old 08-21-13, 08:01 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by rydabent
+1 on blue loctite. Blue loctite is NOT a glue. It will only create enough bind that the adjuster shouldnt move.
Uh, I hate to say this, but T-242 (blue) Loctite, is one of a category of anerobic adhesives, which by definition makes it a glue.

If properly applied it'll bind parts together with low enough strength that they can be removed with hand tools, but the hold is enough that it'll be hard to adjust with your fingers. Once parts are moved, the bond is broken and it would need to be replaced. This is hardly suited for a part one expects to adjust routinely.

Moreover, many adjusters today have plastic parts in the assembly, and the solvent in Loctite products is harmful to many plastics.

No if applied to an oily part, the hold will be compromised, and it might work as you describe, but it's an expensive way to misuse a product for something which isn't what's intended for.

Painting the threads with 2 coats of five and dime rubber cement will give movable traction for a fraction of the cost.

Old 08-21-13, 08:25 AM
Preco

Bikes: Specilized Crosstrail Comp, Canondale Synapse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took bike LBS They found it had bad adjuster nob bad teeth on it replaced fixed thanks for the imfo.
Old 08-21-13, 09:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Another online guessing game , resolved by actually having a 1st person LBS mechanic fix things.

as far as the thread thing..
This may be where the GP solution may be of benefit .. beeswax

since anaerobic threadlock is not suitable for adjustability, just a lock and assumes a bolt to be left as is .
Old 08-21-13, 09:56 AM
joejack951

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Uh, I hate to say this, but T-242 (blue) Loctite, is one of a category of anerobic adhesives, which by definition makes it a glue.

If properly applied it'll bind parts together with low enough strength that they can be removed with hand tools, but the hold is enough that it'll be hard to adjust with your fingers. Once parts are moved, the bond is broken and it would need to be replaced. This is hardly suited for a part one expects to adjust routinely.
Rydabent may be confusing actual blue Loctite with the pre-applied blue (or yellow, white, etc.)-colored thread locker compounds frequently found on critical bicycle fasteners (anything to do with brakes especially). That stuff can be nylon, epoxy, or encapsulated "glue".

I agree though that actual blue Loctite on a barrel adjuster would make it virtually worthless as an adjustment. I'm fairly certain there's no way any normal human being could break the lock of blue Loctite using only the small knurled/lobed barrel, definitely not while riding along.
Old 08-21-13, 03:51 PM
tomacropod
ot.net slave

Bikes: Salsa mtb * 3, Intense mtb * 1, Abeni SS rd * 1, Salsa road/touring * 2, Trek Damn one * 1, Vintage/projects * many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all about moderation. Grease will reduce the tendency of a fastener to vibrate loose because it fills the gaps in the threads and means less vibration is transmitted. More on a bicycle scale of vibration than a truck scale.

If you coat the bolt in blue loctite it will be hard to turn by hand. If you apply a small stripe it will be fine. The effect does not miraculously disappear as soon as you move the bolt, just as the product in the threads doesn't disappear.

Source: I fix bikes for a living and use fixes like this all the time. Most common place for loosening barrel adjusters - cheap v-brake levers. As for expensive, my loctite bill in the shop is about $40 per year, it's a commonly used industrial product and in bicycle quantities, very cheap.

You people need to chill out and remember there is no one "right way" to do anything, but many effective ways.

- Joel
Old 08-22-13, 07:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As in an old hair oil product ad----------"a little dab will do ya. I didnt mean he should slather the whole set of threads with blue locktite. One little spot would work quite well.