Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tube Change Question (out of round after change)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-18, 06:23 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 111 Posts

I decided to combine some local errands and a ride yesterday. I picked up a nail mid-ride and (should be) no big deal as I was riding clincher tires (Gatorskins) and had both a spare tube and a cheapo patch kit. So I changed the tube - I haven't changed a ton of tubes and/or tires but this was certainly not my first or second (10th maybe). Everything went normally except as i rode off there was this rotational 'whomp-whomp' from the rear (where the flat happened). So I pulled off and it was like there was this flat place maybe 3 inches long on the tire. So I let the air out and kind of reseated the tire, and it was still there.

I was on a tight schedule at this point and was only a half mile from my meeting location, so I just rode off (taking precautions with speed) and after maybe a minute it was gone. After my meeting when I had time to look at things, there was no indication at all that there was, or had even been, a flat spot on this tire.

What happened here? Like I said I have not changed a bunch of tires in my life, but I have never encountered this before.

thanks.

dave
Old 05-08-18, 06:50 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 902 Posts
Thanks for telling us WHERE the flat spot was.
Old 05-08-18, 06:57 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I'm taking a guess, but it sounds like your tube may have gotten twisted inside the tire at that point and then eventually just worked itself out. Anybody else see that as a possibility?
Old 05-08-18, 07:05 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Thanks for telling us WHERE the flat spot was.
Is this a question? If it is then it was where (literally) the rubber meets the road.

dave
Old 05-08-18, 08:29 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 961 Times in 401 Posts
My guess is the bead didn't seat properly and after riding for a while, it popped into place. I have a Campy wheel that I have trouble getting the bead to seat correctly, and I had the same thing happen to me with that wheel. Now, when I have to put a tire tire on it, I pump it to about 20 PSI and go around seating it with my fingers. Then I inflate to the proper PSI.
Old 05-08-18, 08:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked 3,963 Times in 2,359 Posts
Bill asked the question of where (well, sort of asked) for a reason. Of course you replied in what seems like a snarky attitude.

So let's move on and address what might have happened. One likely possibility is that when you re inflated the tire the bead didn't seat properly in one part of the circumference. Likely the bead was still stuck deeper into the rim there. As you road along that portion of the tire popped out, seating properly. When you got to the shop there was no portion miss seated any more, so the wrench didn't find what wasn't a problem any more. What I would do is to remove the tire and remount it just to make sure there's not another issue.

Back to Bill's post. What I suspect he was wondering about is that if the bead was too high off the rim (and this would still feel out of round when riding. It can be hard to tell a high from a low spot when riding) then there was the risk of the tube herniating out and blowing. Or the brake pad could lathe cut through the tire's side wall and the tube will again blow out.

Granted this possibility has less probability of self correction compared to a tire bead stuck too deep. But that's what I suspect he was going for. Andy
Old 05-09-18, 07:09 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 193 Posts
I agree that the bead is probably not searef properly. Deflate, make sure tube is in right and ... may sound crazy...but try using some baby powder as a "lubricant" when reinstalling the tire.
Old 05-09-18, 09:11 AM
guidosan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Probably just poorly seated on the rim. When I install a tube, I partially fill the tube and then deflate. Then check the bead all the way around the rim by squeezing the sides in. Then re-inflate. As per Bianchi84's suggestion, store your spare tube in a bag with baby powder.
Old 05-09-18, 11:27 AM
DaveLeeNC

For clarification, the issue was clearly that there was a flat spot on the outside of the tire (i.e., where the tire touches the road). You could see it when you just spun the wheel on its axis.

It sounds like tire seating and or tube seating was the issue and that this does happen on occasion. And I am guessing that it was the tube somehow as I did take a pretty careful look at the seating of the tire, reseated it, and still had the issue. And the baby powder thing is probably a good idea.

dave

ps. Re: Post #5 - my response was snarky??? I did not know if it was a question or a complaint about a poorly worded post (still not sure). So I stated that and answered the question (if there was one) politely, I think. **********