Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creaky fixed gear drivetrain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 04:26 PM
hazzak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Langster has developed a bit of a creak, which I think it coming from the bottom bracket or the cranks. I cleaned the chain and chainring which alleviated some of the grinding sounds but there's still a creak/click when I put pressure on the pedals. I've checked the crank arm bolts and I've also tightened the chainrings as that was the cause of similar symptoms on my other fixed gear. Any ideas what else I could try? Does this sound like a chain tension adjustment issue?
Old 05-06-13, 04:59 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
No, does not sound like chain issue. A creak (more of a drawn out sound than a click) is often BB, but if both occur it's a hard call. As you will have to remove cranks to work on the BB you might as well eliminate them and the pedals 1st. Remove the pedals and clean off the face of the crank arms where the pedals meet them. Lubricate either the replacement pedals or the originals and reinstall, check for the sound. If it's gone on different pedals reinstall the originals and check. If not change then remove the crank arms and clean off the crank and spindle flats well (steel wool plus rag works well). Reinstall, cinch down tight and retest. If still there it's likely the BB. The chainwheel bolts are a more remote possibility.
Old 05-06-13, 05:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
Let's get chain (non) tension out of the way first. There seems to be a trend among this generation's fixed and SS users to run with a tight chain. This is 100% wrong. Proper chain (non) tension is No tension, or slack. Ideally you want the minimum slack where the chain never gets tight at any part of the cycle.

Now the click, may be in the BB, but a common and easy to diagnose place is the pedal/crank threads. Remove the pedals, clean the threads, and most important the face on the pedal and crank arm, grease, rethread and test. Washers have been known to help, though they aren't necessary on aluminum cranks with flat faces where the pedal fits.

If you've eliminated the pedal threads and it still clicks, borrow another pair of pedals to eliminate the pedals totally. Then the clicking may be in the BB, with the exact causes dependent on the type of BB. Traditional cup/cone BBs are least likely to click, and modern external BBs with slip-in spindles are the most likely.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-06-13, 05:52 PM
stilltooslow

Bikes: Guru Evolo R, Colnago Pista, Look AL 464P SS, various frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the BB spindle is the splined type with no flats, take the arms off and put a bit of grease in the splines where the arms contact them. That is very frequently the source of BB creak and nearly always resolves the issue.