Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

L'Eroica California

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

L'Eroica California

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-14, 04:35 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Whether vintage auto's, motorcycles or bicycles, participating in accordance is the soul of these events. Sharing, experiencing and feeling these machines with your peers is 1000x better than seeing them in a museum or hiding away in some private collection.

As an example, I've been fortunate to experience motorcar events, 'strictly' limited to auto's pre- 1910. The pitfalls of traveling distances in open, flimsy, smelly, oily, horrible brakes, steering, quirky control, wooden spoke, fragile vehicles over hilly, winding roads, in the cold and rain is joy! The effort, struggle and challenge to complete is the highlight. You couldn't even compare to someone in the luxury of a closed body late 20's Ford A. BTW: I've known a few old timers in their 90's, crank starting and battling the elements in these events. To observe and be with them is a hoot.

The same goes for the restrictions of L'Eroica. For someone to complain or feeling slighted for not having a bike meeting requirements is silly. The price of a vintage bike meeting requirements is a 'fraction' the cost of most newer bikes. Personally I could care less if one rides breaking some rules but too bad for them missing out the purpose of the event.

Hopefully all would follow the spirit of it. I'm mostly impressed by those behind the scene and organizing these fantastic venues. Following what goals they created would be the return compliment to them and rewarding to ones self as well.
Old 12-20-14, 05:41 AM
EroicaCA

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The same goes for the restrictions of L'Eroica. For someone to complain or feeling slighted for not having a bike meeting requirements is silly. The price of a vintage bike meeting requirements is a 'fraction' the cost of most newer bikes. Personally I could care less if one rides breaking some rules but too bad for them missing out the purpose of the event.

Hopefully all would follow the spirit of it. I'm mostly impressed by those behind the scene and organizing these fantastic venues. Following what goals they created would be the return compliment to them and rewarding to ones self as well.
Thank you crank_addict.

Last edited by cb400bill; 12-28-14 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-20-14, 05:47 AM
EroicaCA

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
Hey all,

If you haven't seen the official videos, they're well worth watching:

Italy

England

And here is one from Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gea8QcNCkOc
Old 12-23-14, 06:11 PM
RiseAlways

Bikes: 1970s Peugeot UO-8, 1980 Peugeot PXN10E "Super Competition", 1985-86? Miyata 610, 2012 Trek 3500 Mtn Bike, late 1800s project build/bike (will it ever get finished?..your guess is as good as mine! HA!),etc...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EroicaCA
And here is one from Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gea8QcNCkOc

Fantastic!!
Old 12-23-14, 06:15 PM
RiseAlways

Bikes: 1970s Peugeot UO-8, 1980 Peugeot PXN10E "Super Competition", 1985-86? Miyata 610, 2012 Trek 3500 Mtn Bike, late 1800s project build/bike (will it ever get finished?..your guess is as good as mine! HA!),etc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Whether vintage auto's, motorcycles or bicycles, participating in accordance is the soul of these events. Sharing, experiencing and feeling these machines with your peers is 1000x better than seeing them in a museum or hiding away in some private collection.

As an example, I've been fortunate to experience motorcar events, 'strictly' limited to auto's pre- 1910. The pitfalls of traveling distances in open, flimsy, smelly, oily, horrible brakes, steering, quirky control, wooden spoke, fragile vehicles over hilly, winding roads, in the cold and rain is joy! The effort, struggle and challenge to complete is the highlight. You couldn't even compare to someone in the luxury of a closed body late 20's Ford A. BTW: I've known a few old timers in their 90's, crank starting and battling the elements in these events. To observe and be with them is a hoot.

Definitely NEVER break the tradition of it,.. that would just ruin what it is and is meant to be!
Maybe I'll ride in one in the near future,....
Old 12-23-14, 07:27 PM
armstrong101

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quick Q for those who have attended L'Eroicas in the past.

How is the pricing for vintage stuff at the L'Eroica fair? Pricey, cheap or reasonable?
Old 12-23-14, 08:46 PM
Saguaro

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Tommasini Competizione

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
You know, this is coming up fast! Pretty short fuse for such a big event. You have your work cut out for you #EroicaCA ! Looking forward to being a part of this and meeting some of our fellow enthusiasts. Best Wishes & Merry Christmas to all!

Last edited by Saguaro; 12-23-14 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-23-14, 08:53 PM
EroicaCA

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by armstrong101
Quick Q for those who have attended L'Eroicas in the past.

How is the pricing for vintage stuff at the L'Eroica fair? Pricey, cheap or reasonable?
I really can't tell you how it would be since this will be the first one in the USA. In Italy many people thought the prices are same as on eBay, but I did not think so. I do a lot of ebay looking and comparisons to the pricing t the vintage shows and the prices were cheaper in Italy and most of all there were many hard to find parts there. If any indication I went to the swap meet (Bike Expo) at Cow palace in South San Francisco. I went there to invite the vintage bike parts dealers to come sell at L'Eroica California. The prices there were very good. I was late getting there and I thought all the great buys were long gone, but I was still able to pick up some bargains. For example, Titan Stem and Maes handlebar for $20, Super clean Sheffield 673 Pedals for $20, Ambrosio Champion Bar and stem for $30. Campagnolo (raised lip around the pedal holes) crankset (2nd gen) for $250. The trip was well worth it.
So lets hope we get some good dealers and hope to see some hidden treasures at the first annual event in April.
Hope to see you there.
Old 12-23-14, 09:02 PM
EroicaCA

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Saguaro
You know, this is coming up fast! Pretty short fuse for such a big event. You have your work cut out for you @EroicaCA ! Looking forward to being a part of this and meeting some of our fellow enthusiasts. Best Wishes & Merry Christmas to all!
Yes, it is short and coming up fast. That is why we are limiting the entry (1000) and we will have a smaller festival. But the rides (especially the long route) will be spectacular and it will be intimate since we won't have 3000 or 5000 riders yet. From what I hear there will be over 3000 attending the UK version in 2015. They had 1500 riders this year and it was their first year.
The Paso Robles downtown city park has all the restaurants, pubs, wine tasting rooms, cafes and a multi screen movie theater. We will be offering some off site activities as well. It should be a lot of fun.
Happy Holidays to you all and hope to see you in April.
Old 12-24-14, 12:21 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by EroicaCA
The Paso Robles downtown city park has all the restaurants, pubs, wine tasting rooms, cafes and a multi screen movie theater. We will be offering some off site activities as well. It should be a lot of fun.
Happy Holidays to you all and hope to see you in April.
So, is the event in the downtown park or at the fairgrounds? The park is pretty big but would not be big enough for a L'Eroica Britannia first year sized event.
Old 12-24-14, 12:24 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
This is exciting news indeed! I will make every effort to participate...a chance to return to this region with vintage steel.
Old 12-24-14, 01:21 AM
EroicaCA

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
So, is the event in the downtown park or at the fairgrounds? The park is pretty big but would not be big enough for a L'Eroica Britannia first year sized event.
Believe me, it's big enough. We have many large events there.
The wine festival had over 25000 guests in the park. Paso Robles is much bigger than Gaiole in Chianti, Italy.
Old 12-26-14, 09:47 AM
Joe_Steel

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
A quick question for someone who would know (rather than guess). Reading the rules, explicitly including -- "road racing bikes, built before 1987"

I have a 1983 steel bike that meets all of the requirements with one minor (in my opinion) technicality -- it was built and sold as a "touring" bike.
Most differences are hardly noticeable with the exception of a few added braze-ons, 40-spoke wheels (vs 32) and slightly longer chainstays / wheel base.
Would this bike be accepted?

I would hate to get excited about riding this bike on the long route, and then discover that it wasn't allowed or not welcomed (scorned / "disqualified").

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-14, 12:15 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
It would not keep you from participating in prior L'Eroica events. But I would contact the organiser by email or PM to verify.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-26-14, 01:25 PM
bconneraz

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I can't wait!
Old 12-26-14, 06:51 PM
leaping_gnome

Bikes: 1975 Eisentraut Ltd, 1995 Trek 7000 MTB, 2007 Masi Vincere, 1974 Masi GC, 1981 Specialized Allez, 1984 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm excited about riding the event. I don't want to over think to rules but
  • wheels must have at least 32 spokes with a low profile (less than 20 mm).
is kind of a challenge. All of my clincher rims are 20-22mm. Is the theme generally to ride sew-ups?

Also, will the rides be conducted as brevets? I understand that at least some other l'Eroica events have been ACP brevets.

Regardless, If I get an entry I will rustle up an appropriate bike and be there to see you all!

Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA

Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
Do they make downtube shifters for 11 speed?

Article 6 - Criteria for admission
Only cyclists with "L’Eroica" bicycles will be permitted to participate.

"L’Eroica" bicycles are bicycles which have all the following characteristics:
  • road racing bikes, built before 1987 (not cycle-cross or time trial bikes);
  • steel frame (the only aluminium frame bikes permitted are ALAN or VITUS with either screwed or glued joints);
  • gear shift levers on the down tube of the frame (exceptionally, only pre-1980 bar-end gear shifts are allowed);
  • pedals with toe clips and fitted straps (quick release pedals are not allowed, except Cinelli M71 pedals);
  • passage of brake cables outside the handlebars (the passage of cables inside the frame is acceptable);
Old 12-26-14, 08:20 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_Steel
A quick question for someone who would know (rather than guess). Reading the rules, explicitly including -- "road racing bikes, built before 1987"

I have a 1983 steel bike that meets all of the requirements with one minor (in my opinion) technicality -- it was built and sold as a "touring" bike.
Most differences are hardly noticeable with the exception of a few added braze-ons, 40-spoke wheels (vs 32) and slightly longer chainstays / wheel base.
Would this bike be accepted?

I would hate to get excited about riding this bike on the long route, and then discover that it wasn't allowed or not welcomed (scorned / "disqualified").

Thanks in advance.
I think the theme is a historic road racing bicycle, not a cyclocross bike. Some of the old road racing bikes have pretty slack angles and long chain stays. I think it might be the possible cantilevers that might raise a comment.
Old 12-27-14, 12:58 AM
mattk42

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by leaping_gnome
I'm excited about riding the event. I don't want to over think to rules but
is kind of a challenge. All of my clincher rims are 20-22mm. Is the theme generally to ride sew-ups?

Also, will the rides be conducted as brevets? I understand that at least some other l'Eroica events have been ACP brevets.

Regardless, If I get an entry I will rustle up an appropriate bike and be there to see you all!

Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA
I think that's referring to rim depth. So, no aero rims.
Old 12-27-14, 04:27 AM
EroicaCA

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Hello all,

Please register your email at:

https://www.eroicacalifornia.com

By registering your email address here you will receive the latest info as we get ready to launch the official registration website.
Thank you.
Old 12-27-14, 05:49 AM
leaping_gnome

Bikes: 1975 Eisentraut Ltd, 1995 Trek 7000 MTB, 2007 Masi Vincere, 1974 Masi GC, 1981 Specialized Allez, 1984 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattk42
Ah!, Of course, Thanks!

Jim
Old 12-27-14, 10:29 AM
Joe_Steel

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by repechage
I think it might be the possible cantilevers that might raise a comment.
Good point. It does have Mafac cantilever brakes.
Old 12-27-14, 11:38 AM
mattk42

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by leaping_gnome
Originally Posted by mattk42
Ah!, Of course, Thanks!

Jim
Had me confused too, though I'm pretty sure even my 80s aero rims are that wide at least. Hopefully there'll be a good comprehensive list of requirements closer to the event date.
Old 12-27-14, 12:29 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, if not;

Eroica California 11-12 APRIL 2015
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-28-14, 06:38 AM
jyl

Bikes: 61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Hmm. Interesting. I could drive down from Portland with my son for this ride.

Problem is, he doesn't have a compliant bike. His 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport has a 10 speed Campagnolo drivetrain with brifters. His 1986 Peugeot PX has aero levers and indexed downtube shifters.

I will measure to see if he can fit the 1977 PX-10 frame. If so, then I can probably get that built up with the original components in time. I could ride my 1978 Raleigh Team Pro.

Question, however: what will the roads be like?

Neither of the bikes we'd bring are exactly gravel grinders. Both have tubular rims and would wear 23-25 mm tires, with racy frame geometry. I have ridden the Team Pro on a gravel road and really did not enjoy the experience.
Old 12-28-14, 07:41 AM
leaping_gnome

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl

Question, however: what will the roads be like?

Neither of the bikes we'd bring are exactly gravel grinders. Both have tubular rims and would wear 23-25 mm tires, with racy frame geometry. I have ridden the Team Pro on a gravel road and really did not enjoy the experience.
I know the Paso Robles area quite well but cannot comment until the course is published. All I can say as it will be beautiful and could be challenging.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.