Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thinking of clipping in.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Thinking of clipping in.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 11:28 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...in the earliest years of clipless, I had a lot of trouble finding something with enough "float" to accommodate my various foot and knee issues. I realize they fixed that, somewhere along the way. But by then I was heavily invested in clips and straps, so I lacked further incentive to experiment. But I do reiterate that you are probably much, much safer on a bicycle going fast, if you can keep your feet on the pedals when you hit a big bump or a pothole.

And those track guys use reliable foot retention for a reason.
Old 06-29-23, 11:29 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
At the elite level, that 0.01% difference could mean the difference between winning and middle of the pack.
No. Let's stick with reality here.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-29-23, 01:18 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
While I do use clipless pedals on my road bikes. I don’t have any illusions about generating any power on the upstroke.

https://www.cyclefit.co.uk/journal/c...ling-technique

“Dr Jeff Broker has done extensive pedalling kinesiology tests on 100 elite and professional cyclists over 10 years and his data shows that not one of them produces a meaningful upstroke. So what hope is there for the rest of us?”
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-29-23, 02:04 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
While I do use clipless pedals on my road bikes. I don’t have any illusions about generating any power on the upstroke.

https://www.cyclefit.co.uk/journal/c...ling-technique

“Dr Jeff Broker has done extensive pedalling kinesiology tests on 100 elite and professional cyclists over 10 years and his data shows that not one of them produces a meaningful upstroke. So what hope is there for the rest of us?”
When compared to CLIP, CLIPFBACK resulted in a significant increase in pedalling effectiveness during upstroke
Effects of pedal type and pull-up action during cycling - PubMed (nih.gov)
  • More efficient power transfer and smoother pedalling technique
  • Secure foot placement on the pedal which stops your foot sliding off
  • Better for climbing up hills where you can take advantage of an upward pedal stroke
Flat pedals vs. clipless pedals | CANYON US

Last edited by big john; 06-29-23 at 02:09 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-29-23, 02:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
When compared to CLIP, CLIPFBACK resulted in a significant increase in pedalling effectiveness during upstroke

The issue is that it comes at the cost of reduced net efficiency. Looks like it is best for short fast climb and sprints, but bad for endurance. That about right?
Old 06-29-23, 02:21 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Connman
I ride a gravel bike on the highways an understood that clipping in would allow to not only push down but to pull up while pedaling.
The pulling up is mostly a myth.

Ok, then I believe I'll get some new shoes and clips on my pedals and give it a whirl.
Always fun to buy stuff for the bike! (serious)
Old 06-29-23, 02:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10439 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It must be pretty strong to offset the negatives our contrarian experiences. Think how hard playing the solitary genius must be. Suffering bizarre fit on dubious equipment, all contact points unique, How many among us would do that 19 mile TT with a saddle tilted at 45 degrees? In jorts? On flip flops? The commitment!! And to then receive no appreciation of that genius.
You gotta commit to the bit.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-29-23, 02:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
Uncomfortable is the ass that sits on the throne.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-29-23, 02:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by rsbob
Hopefully a last point on the raging debate on flats versus clipless. I
Are you new here?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-29-23, 02:31 PM
big john

Originally Posted by livedarklions
The issue is that it comes at the cost of reduced net efficiency. Looks like it is best for short fast climb and sprints, but bad for endurance. That about right?
Seems like that's what they are saying. I just wanted to dispute the dogma. The other thing I quoted is just s shpiel from Canyon bikes. I could probably find more but meh.
Old 06-29-23, 02:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Are you new here?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-29-23, 02:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If you are interested there is little reason to not try clipless. For me, and apparently others, foot security and having one less thing to think about are the primary benefits. If I had to do a lot of stop and start I might make a different choice.
It is not just "Try".

You have to go all-in if one is doing this. Not just one ride. But, perhaps a few weeks or months. A couple of century rides.

For those that used toe clips, the conversion to clipless is generally quick and easy, but not without a couple of speed bumps.

For those that have never had foot retention, there are a few new things to learn. I.E. The foot doesn't just slip off the side of the pedal and down to the ground. One must consciously unclip, sometimes a few yards before one plans to stop.

Toe clips (without cleats), one can push down and back to release. With cleats, one can add a twist. Pre loosening straps can help, but is only necessary for getting the foot back into the pedal.

Clipless, a good twist and perhaps upward lift to get the foot out.

My biggest issues with clipless came with riding up my driveway. If I lost traction and lost forward momentum, I got caught a couple of times not getting my feet to the ground quickly enough. I learned to watch the no forward momentum moments.
Old 06-29-23, 03:38 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
  • Better for climbing up hills where you can take advantage of an upward pedal stroke
Well, of course, the increase will be significant. If you don't have any kind of foot retention system and are on flat pedals, your upstroke efficiency will be zero. Literally anything is a significant increase.
Old 06-29-23, 05:16 PM
big john

Originally Posted by VegasJen
Well, of course, the increase will be significant. If you don't have any kind of foot retention system and are on flat pedals, your upstroke efficiency will be zero. Literally anything is a significant increase.
You are reading it wrong.
Old 06-29-23, 05:53 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Ok, so this is the actual text from the paper abstract about their results, distinct from Canyon’s rewrite, just in case there is a lack of clarity:

There was no significant difference for pedalling effectiveness, net mechanical efficiency (NE) and muscular activity between PED and CLIP. When compared to CLIP, CLIPFBACK resulted in a significant increase in pedalling effectiveness during upstroke (86 % for C and 57 % NC, respectively), as well as higher biceps femoris and tibialis anterior muscle activity (p < 0.001). However, NE was significantly reduced (p < 0.008) with 9 % and 3.3 % reduction for C and NC, respectively. Consequently, shoe-pedal interface (PED vs. CLIP) did not significantly influence cycling technique during submaximal exercise. However, an active pulling-up action on the pedal during upstroke increased the pedalling effectiveness, while reducing net mechanical efficiency.”

Otto
Old 06-29-23, 06:01 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I ride a gravel bike on the highways an understood that clipping in would allow to not only push down but to pull up while pedaling.
There have been a lot of tests done on this and most cyclists aren't doing enough pulling to make a meaningful difference. You won't likely see any difference in your times.
Old 06-29-23, 06:12 PM
big john

Originally Posted by ofajen
Ok, so this is the actual text from the paper abstract about their results, distinct from Canyon’s rewrite, just in case there is a lack of clarity:

There was no significant difference for pedalling effectiveness, net mechanical efficiency (NE) and muscular activity between PED and CLIP. When compared to CLIP, CLIPFBACK resulted in a significant increase in pedalling effectiveness during upstroke (86 % for C and 57 % NC, respectively), as well as higher biceps femoris and tibialis anterior muscle activity (p < 0.001). However, NE was significantly reduced (p < 0.008) with 9 % and 3.3 % reduction for C and NC, respectively. Consequently, shoe-pedal interface (PED vs. CLIP) did not significantly influence cycling technique during submaximal exercise. However, an active pulling-up action on the pedal during upstroke increased the pedalling effectiveness, while reducing net mechanical efficiency.”

Otto
Yeah, sorry bout the two links running together there.
Old 06-29-23, 06:20 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I like coming back to these threads after a good ride and a couple glasses of wine Much more enjoyable
Old 06-29-23, 06:26 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Seems like that's what they are saying. I just wanted to dispute the dogma. The other thing I quoted is just s shpiel from Canyon bikes. I could probably find more but meh.
I only read the Abstract of that study. How did they measure pedal effectiveness and what did they mean by pedal force feedback?

All the data I’ve seen from various studies of power measurement shows varying degrees of negative torque during the upstroke at normal cadence and relatively high power. Pro cyclists are generally better at minimising this negative upstroke torque ie they do a better job of unweighting their leg. If there is data to show someone producing significant positive torque on the upstroke while pedalling at a normal cadence and relatively high power I would love to see it. Maybe the study you linked shows that somewhere?

I ride clipless on my road bike and flats on my mtb. I don’t find my feet lifting up off the pedals during the upstroke when switching from clipless to flats. So I know I’m not producing power on the upstroke. I also rode mtb clipless for many years before switching to flats and I didn’t notice any significant loss in power.

But anyway, there are plenty of other good reasons to use clipless pedals, so definitely worth trying.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-29-23, 06:40 PM
big john

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I only read the Abstract of that study. How did they measure pedal effectiveness and what did they mean by pedal force feedback?

All the data I’ve seen from various studies of power measurement shows varying degrees of negative torque during the upstroke at normal cadence and relatively high power. Pro cyclists are generally better at minimising this negative upstroke torque ie they do a better job of unweighting their leg. If there is data to show someone producing significant positive torque on the upstroke while pedalling at a normal cadence and relatively high power I would love to see it. Maybe the study you linked shows that somewhere?

I ride clipless on my road bike and flats on my mtb. I don’t find my feet lifting up off the pedals during the upstroke when switching from clipless to flats. So I know I’m not producing power on the upstroke. I also rode mtb clipless for many years before switching to flats and I didn’t notice any significant loss in power.

But anyway, there are plenty of other good reasons to use clipless pedals, so definitely worth trying.
I only read the thing, I don't know how they measured, I would assume power meter of some flavor. Those are the first two things that popped up when I searched. I cannot vouch for their validity. I just wanted to introduce the idea to challenge the dogma that it's impossible to pull up and we should all throw away our pedals.

The way I read it, they had the test subjects concentrate on pulling up with some sort of "feedback".
Old 06-29-23, 07:31 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
For me, it's about being in the bike, not merely on it. And I know I'm exponentially more safe. I feel faaarrrrrrrr more safe. So I can ride at a much greater speed with great confidence, pedaling or not.

​​​​
+1 I went to Speedplay pedals in the late 90's and never looked back. I do have an "around town" errand bike with no retention system, but my serious bike, the one that gets used heavily, still has Speedplays. I love them, especially jetting away from a stop light or climbing out of the saddle.
Likes For randallr:
Old 06-29-23, 07:40 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Yeah, sorry bout the two links running together there.
No worries.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 06-29-23, 08:13 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
I don't know if it will make you faster or not, but I really like being clipped in. I feel that I have more control of the bike and my feet are also in the best position on the pedal to deliver as much power more efficiently.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 06-29-23, 08:24 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I don't know if it will make you faster or not, but I really like being clipped in. I feel that I have more control of the bike and my feet are also in the best position on the pedal to deliver as much power more efficiently.
Summation of the entire subject.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 06-29-23, 08:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Lots of posters are claiming that "studies" prove their points, but most of them aren't providing any citations. In my world, we don't give such people a first thought, much less a second thought.

And don't get me started on the posters who've never used clipless, or the poster who tried it once and fell down a bunch of times and then came here to tell us all that we're idiots for using clipless pedals. There's a whole lot of confirmation bias going on with some of those folks.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.