Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do Old Guys Look Super Stupid in Team Jerseys?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do Old Guys Look Super Stupid in Team Jerseys?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-24, 07:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
What looks dumb to me is a person with a large belly that extends out over their shorts. This is nothing new and was not uncommon even in the 1960's. The fat guy would usually be on an ultra expensive Italian road bike with racing geometry. But then we have the not uncommon guys who enter middle age and decide that they must own a Porsche or a red Corvette or Mustang convertible.

We have the "men" wearing baggy shorts and baseball caps turned backwards and they think they look cool and hip and are clueless as to how juvenile and ridiculous they appear.
Judgmental much?
Old 02-18-24, 07:50 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
What looks dumb to me is a person with a large belly that extends out over their shorts. This is nothing new and was not uncommon even in the 1960's. The fat guy would usually be on an ultra expensive Italian road bike with racing geometry.
Looks can be deceiving. I know a few riders with large bellies who can rip my legs off and beat me over the head with them.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-18-24, 11:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
What looks dumb to me is a person with a large belly that extends out over their shorts. This is nothing new and was not uncommon even in the 1960's. The fat guy would usually be on an ultra expensive Italian road bike with racing geometry. But then we have the not uncommon guys who enter middle age and decide that they must own a Porsche or a red Corvette or Mustang convertible.

We have the "men" wearing baggy shorts and baseball caps turned backwards and they think they look cool and hip and are clueless as to how juvenile and ridiculous they appear.
Not exactly an Uber-expensive Italian bike nor a red Corvette, but I am getting along with my mid-life issues just fine. Sorry, don’t have a picture of my cargo shorts. And do I care what you think? Not so much.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-20-24, 11:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
…and are clueless as to how juvenile and ridiculous they appear.
Define irony .
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-20-24, 12:20 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
I bought a 10 year old Specialized Roubaix when I retired in ‘20 and drive a ‘15 Jeep JKU. I have lost a lot of weight but have more to go.
At 65 I really don’t care what other people think about how I look. As long as I am improving I’m happy. If someone else is unhappy about me that’s on them.
​​​​​​​ I don’t try to look “youthful” but I refuse to look like an old man.
Old 02-20-24, 12:36 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Judgmental much?

Big John - in case you missed the point of this thread, it it entirely judgmental as are all the posts in this thread. It is naturally subjective, but nonetheless a judgement of how people look which is extremely common in the age of the internet. Facebook and similar websites would have a tiny fraction of their traffic and posts without people making judgements of one type or another about the posts.
Old 02-20-24, 12:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
As someone firmly in that era of my life, I have a slightly different perspective on what is commonly referred to as a "mid-life crisis". Sports cars, high-end bikes, etc. are the awesome toys we have ALWAYS wanted. Now we can finally afford them, and can still appreciate their fine qualities.

How are you sure what they are thinking? Here's another possibility...Those clothes are what they are comfortable with, and they really don't care about what anyone else thinks (except maybe their significant other).
Old 02-20-24, 12:58 PM
big john

Big John - in case you missed the point of this thread, it it entirely judgmental as are all the posts in this thread. It is naturally subjective, but nonetheless a judgement of how people look which is extremely common in the age of the internet. Facebook and similar websites would have a tiny fraction of their traffic and posts without people making judgements of one type or another about the posts.
I know. A little harmless chiding is fine. I dress like a Fred and have received my share of teasing about it and that's fine. It's what friends do.

What I object to is the superiority thing and saying someone shouldn't have a certain bike because they are not worthy, Or just mocking someone because of their body shape. Anyone should buy the bike they want. If it makes them want to ride, that's the point.

I also don't get the thing about cars. Like bikes, buy what you want. If you're having a mid-life thing and you want a Porsche and you have the money, why not?
I was riding with a friend one day and he mentioned he had sold off some stock so he could pay cash for a new 911. I was happy for him. Nice man, generous to everyone, even paid for the wedding reception for a couple in our club who got married.

I don't see anything wrong with people buying the things they want. I also don't see anything wrong with wearing team kits. If I see an older man in a Bora jersey I know he's not a team rider. Maybe he just wants to show support to the team. Maybe he likes the jersey and got it on sale.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-20-24, 01:15 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
Do Old Men Look Super Silly Dragging this Inane Thread On for Over 300 Posts?

Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 02-20-24, 01:28 PM
big john

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Do Old Men Look Super Silly Dragging this Inane Thread On for Over 300 Posts?

Brent
A 14 year old thread, at that.
Old 02-20-24, 01:38 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Eric F
As someone firmly in that era of my life, I have a slightly different perspective on what is commonly referred to as a "mid-life crisis". Sports cars, high-end bikes, etc. are the awesome toys we have ALWAYS wanted. Now we can finally afford them, and can still appreciate their fine qualities.

How are you sure what they are thinking? Here's another possibility...Those clothes are what they are comfortable with, and they really don't care about what anyone else thinks (except maybe their significant other).
A belly does not need to extend over shorts. Bibs eliminate that threat. 😎
Old 02-20-24, 01:49 PM
big john

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I have not tried bibs. I just let my aerobelly fly free.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-20-24, 01:57 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I have not tried bibs. I just let my aerobelly fly free.
Aerobelly. I like it! 😄
Old 02-20-24, 02:04 PM
big john

Aerobelly. I like it! 😄
I'm told it really helps on a recumbent.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-20-24, 02:13 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I started out bike riding in cut offs, t shirts, and sneakers like I'm sure most people did. Then I got into racing and I had lycra shorts, jerseys, proper bike shoes (cleated of course with toe clips and straps before graduating to clipless). Now I just figure it's time to go back full circle. I wear t shirts (although they're made from some hi tech fabric) and flat pedal shoes that look a lot like my old sneakers, but I'm not getting back into cut off jeans. No damn way I'm giving up on lycra. I just fixed up my '79 Trek 510 to ride since the weather has gotten crazy warm in central Iowa.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-20-24, 02:52 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by bikemig
I started out bike riding in cut offs, t shirts, and sneakers like I'm sure most people did. Then I got into racing and I had lycra shorts, jerseys, proper bike shoes (cleated of course with toe clips and straps before graduating to clipless). Now I just figure it's time to go back full circle. I wear t shirts (although they're made from some hi tech fabric) and flat pedal shoes that look a lot like my old sneakers, but I'm not getting back into cut off jeans. No damn way I'm giving up on lycra. I just fixed up my '79 Trek 510 to ride since the weather has gotten crazy warm in central Iowa.

It's warm here in Fort Worth too.
I use flat pedal and some Fila athletic shoes that have a mostly mesh upper. I wear bibs and a jersey- just for the pocket, for now. Once it gets really warm I will put a bag back on the bike for keys and phone etc. Then I wear quick-dry athletic shirts. They are looser than a jersey. It probably either makes no difference or the jersey may be better but thats how my head feels.
I never wore a helmet as a kid-nobody did. I won’t ride without one on now.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 02-20-24, 08:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Spanx for middle aged cyclists.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-20-24, 08:58 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by rsbob
spanx for middle aged cyclists. :d
😄😄😄
Old 02-23-24, 12:19 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig

I still ride in shorts and T-shirts. Why pay a fortune for a kit, just because some think that is the thing to do.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-23-24, 01:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I still ride in shorts and T-shirts. Why pay a fortune for a kit, just because some think that is the thing to do.
Do you believe that everyone wearing bike kit clothing is doing it because they "think that is the thing to do"? Do you think it's possible that some people wear bike kit clothing because they recognize and appreciate that it's optimized for riding bicycles, and it improves their riding experience?
Old 02-23-24, 05:42 PM
big john

Aren't you supposed to refrain from this stuff?

And a "fortune"? Really?
Old 02-23-24, 06:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
What’s the problem with riding in riding clothes? It’s almost like they were designed for riding.

The cut might be a bit unflattering for some, but that just gives me more incentive to stay in shape.

But I don’t wear team replica kit. I prefer the non-team versions of the same gear in my favourite colours.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-23-24, 08:38 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Do you believe that everyone wearing bike kit clothing is doing it because they "think that is the thing to do"? Do you think it's possible that some people wear bike kit clothing because they recognize and appreciate that it's optimized for riding bicycles, and it improves their riding experience?
I always enjoy seeing cyclists wearing road kits with top speeds of 12mph. I see it every day. Logos a-blazing! Very aerodynamic!

I'm sure there are many cyclists I see wearing off road kits. Baggie shorts with padded liners, tech-Ts, etc. I wouldn't know for sure because they look like "normal" people out for a bike ride.

If you regularly see your speed hitting/exceeding 25 mph on the flats, then full roadie kit for sure. Otherwise it's a waste of money and kinda hilarious.
Old 02-23-24, 09:43 PM
big john

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
If you regularly see your speed hitting/exceeding 25 mph on the flats, then full roadie kit for sure. Otherwise it's a waste of money and kinda hilarious.
I don't see what speed has to do with it. Aerodynamics is a small part of it for most recreational riders. Sweat management is key. I sweat buckets regardless of the weather. I've ridden in humid weather in a tee shirt and had trouble peeling it off after. This doesn't happen with a bike jersey.

In cold weather cotton tees will get wet and make you cold. Ever hear the expression "cotton kills"?

Jerseys have rear pockets for carrying layers, food, whatever.

And shorts or bibs are chosen for the same reason. Sweat management helps with comfort. I can't average 25mph but I wouldn't want to spend 6 hours on the bike without Lycra shorts. And I wear the same clothes on the mtb as on the road bike.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-23-24, 10:04 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
In cold weather cotton tees will get wet and make you cold. Ever hear the expression "cotton kills"?
I like the "A-B-C RULE" Anything But Cotton for staying warm in cold weather. I own a ton of synthetic clothing including boxers and briefs, shirts, slacks, shorts, socks. I never wear a stitch of cotton during outdoor activities. None of it is skin tight, other than the briefs and socks. I've cycled across the USA five times, average 60 miles/day, somehow without looking like a TDF entry. Just saying, it is possible.

Jerseys have rear pockets for carrying layers, food, whatever.
Agreed. I have several jerseys. Again, none of them have Italian dish soap logos on them. None are skin tight. It is possible.

And shorts or bibs are chosen for the same reason. Sweat management helps with comfort. I can't average 25mph but I wouldn't want to spend 6 hours on the bike without Lycra shorts. And I wear the same clothes on the mtb as on the road bike.
I've never owned bibs but I get it. That waistband thing is a drag. Keep in mind that the sun hitting skin tight synthetic clothing will heat you up like the surface of Mercury. In hot weather, skin tight synthetics may "handle" perspiration better than cotton but it is going to make you sweat more than necessary.

Ever seen professional field hands picking in the fields on a hot day? A couple layers of loose cotton to keep the sun from heating skin through the fabric. Kinda like working under a shade tarp. Not saying you would necessarily want to cycle in that style of clothing but it is the polar opposite of skin tight synthetics. Something to ponder.

Photograph from the National Archives, Gallery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.