Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ooops, time to discuss summer 2024 touring plans?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ooops, time to discuss summer 2024 touring plans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 05:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,573 Times in 7,336 Posts
Originally Posted by jkinner
Pueblo to Seattle, leaving end of June. Will follow TransAm to Missoula then work way north to hook onto the Hiawatha and Coeur d'Alene rail trails. From Plummer work my way across Washington to Cle Elum and hook onto the PCT into Seattle. About 1800 miles.
I believe I posted in your thread in the PNW forum. You can’t connect the Hiawatha and the CdA trail in a “straight line.” To do them both end to end, you need to go over Gold Pass from St. Regis, MT and pick up the old right of way in Avery, ID that becomes the Hiawatha after about 9 miles. Take that to East Portal (the end of the Hiawatha) and then connect to the NorPac Trail to Lookout Pass, then down to Mullan to the start of the CdA. Great riding. Did it in 2019.

PM me if you want a RWGPS map.
Old 03-03-24, 07:56 PM
jkinner

Bikes: Thorn Nomad, Haibike XDuro Trekking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I believe I posted in your thread in the PNW forum. You can’t connect the Hiawatha and the CdA trail in a “straight line.” To do them both end to end, you need to go over Gold Pass from St. Regis, MT and pick up the old right of way in Avery, ID that becomes the Hiawatha after about 9 miles. Take that to East Portal (the end of the Hiawatha) and then connect to the NorPac Trail to Lookout Pass, then down to Mullan to the start of the CdA. Great riding. Did it in 2019.

PM me if you want a RWGPS map.
I read and heeded your advice!! Let me know if my routing is correct: From St Regis find Little Joe Rd, continue on to NF388, follow 388 to ST FH 50 onto NF218 ST Joe River Rd, follow to Avery to get to Telichpah CG follow ST Joe River Rd approx 5 miles. The next day I will depart Telichpah CG and go north 5 miles to Pearson Trailhead of Hiawatha Trail. Follow trail to East Portal then to Taft From Taft connect onto the NorPac Trail which connects to Coeur d’Alene Trail 6 miles from Wallace. I'd appreciate the RWGPS maps!
Old 03-03-24, 11:07 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Sumba

Sumba, one of Indonesia's Lesser Sunda islands

Old 03-04-24, 05:59 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
I’ll be starting 1st May, greek island hopping and book writing (I’m an author- nothing about bicycling though).
Middle of june, I’ll fly to southern Germany and ride back home (Gothenburg, Sweden) during the soccer European Championship. I can highly recommend being in a host country during a major soccer tournament. Great atmosphere even if you’re not soccer interested.

Setember: Atlantic coast of France and northern Spain.

btw, if anyone plans on coming through Gothenburg this summer when I’m here, you’re more than welcome to camp in my garden in the forest. Shower, kitchen etc of course. It’s about 3 km inland from the ”Kattegatleden (Sverigeleden)” EV12, and 20km south of Gothenburg

Last edited by imi; 03-04-24 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-04-24, 07:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,573 Times in 7,336 Posts
Originally Posted by jkinner
I read and heeded your advice!! Let me know if my routing is correct: From St Regis find Little Joe Rd, continue on to NF388, follow 388 to ST FH 50 onto NF218 ST Joe River Rd, follow to Avery to get to Telichpah CG follow ST Joe River Rd approx 5 miles. The next day I will depart Telichpah CG and go north 5 miles to Pearson Trailhead of Hiawatha Trail. Follow trail to East Portal then to Taft From Taft connect onto the NorPac Trail which connects to Coeur d’Alene Trail 6 miles from Wallace. I'd appreciate the RWGPS maps!
The relevant milage is here:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29428535

I think that campground you mention is primitive. I stayed at Turner Flat, around mile 122.4 of the map. Water and pit toilettes, with some sites right along the river. That way, I was able to stop at Avery the next morning to pick up supplies before heading up. The Idaho Fly Fishing Co. in Avery makes great sandwiches to pack with you, and the owner is a cyclist. There is also the Avery Store, which has snacks, but I didn't feel safe eating anything not pre-packaged. You take the road that passes by the town trash dumpsters and head up. After Avery, you won't find any food or water until Lookout Pass at the MT/ID border. There is a highway rest area there with food, water and bathrooms. Remember to set your clock back 1 hr. A maintenance worker there showed me the three that the time zone line passes through.

I have always taken I-90 down from Lookout, so I don't know what trail conditions are like on the west slope of the NorPac. The pullout on I-90 to view the Superfund site is worth a stop.

The City Limits Brew Pub in Wallace has a campground. It's not ideal, in part because there are no picnic tables, and there are now only 6 tent sites. (There were more in 2017, but the place has been growing in popularity.) But the owners are really nice, and the bathhouses are modern.
Old 03-04-24, 11:52 PM
Rmg360

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eyeing a multi day trip around the driftless region in Wisconsin. Anyone have any interesting rides they recommend?
Old 03-08-24, 10:47 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmg360
Eyeing a multi day trip around the driftless region in Wisconsin. Anyone have any interesting rides they recommend?
My only suggestion is that you need low gears in some of the coulees. And good brake pads. If you are new to the area, there are lots of places that have no cell coverage.

Military Ridge trail is reasonably flat.
https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/militaryridge
Old 03-08-24, 02:44 PM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmg360
I love to cycle that area. I was once in the Air National Guard (ANG) and had to do a lot of training in that area. I would take my bike and have a great time off base while my fellow guardsmen were wasting time on the base drinking beer. Here is a routing suggestion...

Start in La Cross (good assess via Amtrak). Take the bike trail from La Cross to Sparta and then to Elroy. (has tunnels -- take a flash light). From Elroy take the Omaha Trail north to Camp Douglas. Check out into the Volk Field ANG training center. Ride around and look at all the static displays of aircraft. There is a Fire Watch Tower that could be climbed in the past to view the surrounding area. Then take the excellent county roads to Wisconsin Dells and have a day of silly tourist fun. Then take county route A to Baraboo WI and check out the Ringling Circus Museum. Then take WI Route 136 and/or county road NW to Reedsburg. At Reedsburg get on the "400 Route" bike trail and head back to Sparta Wi and the ride home to La Cross. ------ Route con be done in 3-4 days or 5-7 days depending on how much time you spend taking in the sights.
Old 03-09-24, 10:24 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Katy trail
RAGBRAI
Portion of Iron Curtain Trail