Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Southeast beach vacations with great road cycling

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 01:21 PM
PolishPostal
CAT 2 wanna be

Bikes: 2011 Fuji SL1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Normally the wife selects a beach vacation location. I then try to assess if the road riding is decent enough in the area to take my bike. Then scoping out routes.

Let's flip it around. I would like some suggestions for great road riding in the southeast which are also nice beach vacation locations.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-23, 06:13 AM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
We've been going to the Crystal Coast (Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle, Pine Knoll Shores) for 45 years, I've ridden countless miles there, the speed limit is 35, there are a few 45 zones, don't speed they all run radar constantly. It's 24 miles from one end to the other, you always see cyclist there. The main road from one end of the island to the other is wide (a little tight at Ft Macon but the speed limit is 25 there) and there is a pretty wide bike lane. If you go, be careful going through Indian Beach, they NEVER sweep the bike lanes and there is always so much gravel you end up in the car lane, speed limit there is 35 so not too bad. I ride my road bike w 23c tires and have no problems. Mostly houses with just a few low rise condos & hotels, with the exception of Sat & Sun traffic isn't bad but even on the weekends it's manageable. Can get backed up in Emerald Isle as renters come & go but you can get off the main drag to get around. EI did something smart, the main road by the beach front homes is broken up into 4 or 5 block neighborhoods to limit traffic. Works great and they all have small paved cut throughs to the next neighborhood so you can do a more relaxed ride along those segments. I've also ridden off the lower west end of the island from EI, turned north on Hwy 24 to Morehead City then back on the island at Atlantic Beach. Used to be a fun loop but the heavy 55+ mph traffic on 24 & heavy traffic in Morehead City is too much to enjoy so I don't really recommend it anymore. Hands down one of my favorite places to ride.

For anyone else looking at this thread, my wife booked us a place in Surf City, NC to try something different, I'm wondering how the riding is there.
Old 06-20-23, 08:41 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
I wouldn't say "great" - but the Charleston SC area, Isle of Palms/Sullivans island is decent. You can start in Mt Pleasant on the IOP causeway, ride IOP, Sullivans, the Sullivans Causeway back to Mt Pleasant, then cross the Ravenel Bridge into downtown Charleson.

35 miles+/-. I saw tons of cyclists the last time I did that ride.
Old 06-20-23, 11:05 AM
JustaJoe

Bikes: 2022 Kona Dr. Dew, 2022 Specialized Vado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Outer Banks of NC, take Highway 12 south out of Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills. There's a bike lane alongside the road for some of the ride down to Hatteras (50ish miles?). Hop the free ferry to Ocracoke Island and continue on the Hwy 12 bike lane for 13 miles into the village. This is almost completely straight and at sea level - some parts you simply have ocean on one side, sound on the other.

I cannot post links yet, but xfer.services.ncdot.gov/gisdot/DOTBikeMaps/Dare/Maps_6_7_Hatteras_Manteo.pdf

Last edited by JustaJoe; 06-20-23 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-23-23, 10:27 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
West of Bradenton is Siesta Key and Longboat Key (etc.) which is a really good ride even in from the causeway. Just North of there in Palmetto is an area just West of there called Terra Ceia which is an astounding ride through what is basically a high end neighborhood. I would suggest that if you need to drive to and park nearby to consider the Circle K or the small stand right there on Hwy 41. DO NOT park at the little church just down the road towards the bay. There is signage and they WILL tow you off.
Old 10-10-23, 05:24 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by JustaJoe
Outer Banks of NC, take Highway 12 south out of Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills. There's a bike lane alongside the road for some of the ride down to Hatteras (50ish miles?). Hop the free ferry to Ocracoke Island and continue on the Hwy 12 bike lane for 13 miles into the village. This is almost completely straight and at sea level - some parts you simply have ocean on one side, sound on the other.

I cannot post links yet, but xfer.services.ncdot.gov/gisdot/DOTBikeMaps/Dare/Maps_6_7_Hatteras_Manteo.pdf
I highly concur.

OBX is a great vacation place for bike riding, especially in April/May and September/October. Lower traffic, no crowds, cooler weather (but some wind at times). Careful planning and weather watching can give a tailwind out and back. We are partial to the Kitty Hawk north to Corolla roads as there is a decent bike lane. In the Duck/Southern shores area off of NC12 North there are a lot of trails and residential roads that are very lightly traveled in the fall. Cellphone cameras or better recommended for wildlife which can include many birds, wild horses, foxes, deer, etc. Great restaurants and brewhaus locations.

Crossing Oregon Inlet to Hatteras Island is also a nice ride, but blowing sane on the highway can create sand drifts. Avoid unless you know how deep they are. 25-35mm tires can sink quickly in over an inch and forward motion can be halted and control lost. No a real issue, but be aware.

Taking the ferry to Ocracoke is its own thing. The beaches of the Outer Banks in the fall are free of people except fisher folk and surfers. In calm days even in fall htere can be mosquitos, and some can fly into a hurricane... LOL
Old 10-11-23, 12:01 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Gulf Shores, Alabama.