Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

FSA magaexo (bb4000 68mm) questions!!??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 12:34 PM
nicktf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,
I have a new (second hand) bike with one of these bottom bracket. It has a slight knock under maximum load.

Looking at it, it has about 1mm clearance from the crank to the bearing housing, with no spacers that I can see and the (non chain wheel) crank is held by two pinch bolts with a pre loading bolt at 1.5nm.

So 2 questions:
1) What does this pre loading actually do. Given there is 1mm gap isn't the shaft free to float left and right by this gap? As it does not move I don't quite understand why!!??

2) Are the 2 washers needed to transmit the preloading effectively to the megadrive shaft?

Thanks
Nick
Old 08-02-23, 03:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
If the preloading bolt is correctly named, and expected to do anything (except preventing the crank from creeping outward) the crank would need to apply axial preload on the bearing's inner race, either directly when moved inward, or by way of a spacer.

FWIW - I'm not familiar with that specific BB, but suspect that someone may have lost or forgotten a critical part.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-03-23, 04:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

One note.

I didn't mention it earlier, possibly giving you too much credit. So a reminder that, like with threadless headsets, the cranks cinching bolts have to be loosened a bit so the preload bolt can push them in, then tightened to lock everything in place.

Disregard if you already know that.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-10-23, 01:25 PM
nicktf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your help 👍 I did loosen the pinch bolts! The preload washers are missing but even with these in it still has a slight clunk under load, no matter what the pre load torque was.

When I put the washers on the shaft I noticed it seemed to be a very sloppy fit onto the cup bearings I was expecting to see a tight-ish interference fit. Is
​​​ a tight fit normal, and if not this seems the likely cause of the clonk?

Thanks
Nick
Old 08-10-23, 03:54 PM
FBinNY 

A few observations.

The spacers are just that --- spacers. There's no precision needed since all they have to do is gill the gap and transmit compressing from the crank to the bearing's inner race or centering cone (depending on the design), so no worries there if that condition is met.

So, there are two possibilities.

1- something, possibly corrosion is binding the race or cone on the spindle, keeping it from sliding and actually preloading.
2- your initial theory is wrong, and the noise has nothing to do with preload. Possibly there's movement at the outer race, the entire assembly within the frame, or elsewhere. Or the bearing is actually damaged (though I doubt that), or the problem is someplace entirely, ie. a pedal, or the crank/spindle connection.

The key to mechanical problem solving is to form a theory, test it by making a change, yet remain open minded to other possibilities.

In your shoes, I'd try to create bearing play to where I can feel it in the cranks, then readjust and preload. If changing preload has no effect at all then Id suspect that the bearing isn't actually preloading. Otherwise, I'd preload correctly and look elsewhere.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-11-23, 04:48 AM
nicktf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks FB,

I can't really feel the play, its only when its under alot of leg pressure (up a hill in a high gear, legs not spinning) and thats when it clonks. If I change down gear it normally stops.

I take your pint about the preload, the fsa system has a 'normal' and 'wavy' washer which don't seem to alter the clonk situation under any torque. Its not coming from the pedals as I have tried 2 sets.

I was just trying to ascertain what is the expected/normal binding between the bearing surfaces and the axle shaft, as I was wondering about axle wear. Mine has pitting both sides but I have no idea if this is within an acceptable limit.

When I removed the non chain crank, the axle and chain ring crank slide out under gravity with the bike at a very shallow angle. I was expecting to have to tap out the shaft! Hence my tack of trying to get an idea of what is 'normal' binding between the axle and bearing surfaces.

nick
Old 08-11-23, 07:46 AM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
MegaExo usually have a “wave washer” between the crank and BB on the non drive side. Mine does and I’ve replaced it.
Old 08-12-23, 04:34 AM
nicktf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the opinions and advice!
nick