Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Help!! Need to pack my bike to 62" linear inches to avoid high oversize fee

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-23, 11:22 AM
dmeans2anend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Please do not fly on Asiana Airline if you are traveling with a bike especially on international flights due to very HIGH bike baggage oversize fees!

Don't make my same mistake. I booked my flights on United Airline (UA) using my UA frequent flyer miles for a multi-city itinerary from Seattle to Seoul then Jeju to Gimpo, Gimpo to Taipei and lastly Taipei back to Seattle. At the time when I booked in February, UA had a very generous 2 baggage at 23 kg (50 lbs) and no oversize fees for bike that are properly packed. Unfortunately, couple of my flight segments are operated by Asiana Airlines and couple of segments are operated by EVA Airlines. At the time, I had assumed that the checked baggage policy for the entire itinerary would be determined by United since they own and issue the ticket. Only last night, I came across the fine print among the many pages of my ticket that the check baggage policy is determined by Asiana Airline and not United! Yikes.

Unfortunately for me, Asiana Airline has a very harsh bike baggage policy. There are no exceptions made for oversized baggage for sporting equipment like a bike.

Asiana's baggage policy is 2 free bags at 23 kg (50lbs) and linear dimension of no more than 158 cm (62") (L+W+H).
The oversize excess baggage fee is as follows FOR EACH FLIGHT SEGMENT!!! :
  1. $200 for bike box over 158 cm (62") and less than 203 cm (80")
  2. $400 for bike box over 203" (80") and less than 292 cm (115")
  3. Anything over 292 cm is not allowed.
Since I have a total of 4 flight segments, there's the potential that my bike baggage fees can be anywhere between $300 to $800 total for the entire trip! Yikes!!!! Since 2 of the 4 segments are on Eva Airline, I might not have to worry about oversize baggage fee for those flights as Eva also has exceptions for bike boxes and do not charge for oversize fees on bikes. However, on my ticket, it does state in the fine print that the entire itinerary is determined by Asiana checked baggage policy. (Someone did show me documentation from Asiana's website that says EVA is a coshare partner with Asiana so on EVA flight segments, EVA's baggage policy applies. Thank goodness! That'll save me $400. But there's the 2 other segments with Asiana that I'm still worried about being charged from $300 to $400.

I am now severely stressed out and scrambling to try to figure out a way to get my bike disassembled so that I can fit it into a 62" linear baggage (L+W+H). I have read about the Orucase Sub62 (no longer available) so I'm trying to follow the disassembly method in order to put my bike into a similar cardboard bike box. I know that I will need to take off my carbon fork and remove both wheels and protect the RD hanger and the RD. I'll have to pack the wheelset into a second box separate from the frame. Luckily, the frame of my titanium cyclocross bike which I've converted to a touring bike is only 49 cm. What a nightmare!

Now, I have to figure what size bike box to make (from original bike box) in order for all of this to work and save me potentially $400. I've watched the Orucase Sub62 videos for packing but it was with a single speed track bike and no box making tips. Has anyone pack their bikes in two boxes less than 62 linear inches (W+H+L) with frame, handlebar & fork in one box and the wheelset in the other along with their travel gear?

Question: Does anyone know the exact dimension of the Oracase Sub62 soft bike bag?

Any tips or advise would be much appreciated. I have already gone through much discussion on bike packing tips so I have a lot of basic knowledge on standard bike box packing but not so much with having to take off the carbon fork, spacer and bearings. Also, I worry about not having a torque wrench when I land to tighten everything to spec. I guess I could hit a bike shop and see if they would charge a small fee to check the bolt torque?

Any photos of anyone having done this would be so greatly appreciate so I can have a general idea of geometry for bike positioning in the box.

Thanks!!!!

Lesson: Please check your tickets carefully even the tiniest fine print down at the 4th page! Check the bike policy of every single flight segment if you have different airline carriers.

P.S.

Here is a summary of what I was intending to do to disassemble the bike and to protect it before boxing it all:

1 Take loads of bike pictures (stem, headset, chain wrap, disc brake)
2 Tape seat, stem position & center
3 Remove front wheel
4 Put bike on Bike Rack
5 Take off pedal w/ Allen key & bag
6 Remove seat
7 Remove Bottle Cages
8 Shift to largest chainring and smallest cog
9 Remove rear wheel
10 Unscrew RD & RD hanger
11 Pack RD & RD hanger with bubble wrap and hang to chainstay
12 Zip tie crank arm to the chainstay
13 Zip tie chain to the big chainring
14 Insert Disc Brake cardboard spacers for front and rear
15 Remove QR skewers from both wheels & bag it in ziplock
16 Remove stem, AND handlebar from steer tube.
17 Remove fork (keep spacer in same order w/ top cap) 18 Zip tie the headtube with the bearings in it
19 Install plastic spacers for fork and rear dropouts (Important!!!)
20 Wrap and cushion RD & RD Hanger with bubble wrap
21 Wrap the chain to prevent it scratching things
22 Wrap the frame with foam & label pieces w/ tape
23 Let some air out of tire
24 Remove disc brake rotors and label front vs rear
25 Wrap disc brake rotor between cardboard
26 Tape a block of sponge below the fork and rear dropout
27 Sponge block below the chainring
28 Wrap the entire rear end of the drop out frame with foam
29 Zip tie Name tag and flight info to bike and possibly android air tag (if available?)
30 Add Fragile sign all around bike box
31 Add Name and flight info to bike box
32 Show which size of bike box is UP position
33 Wrap and foam and loose misc stuff (handlebar, stem, fork, etc)
34. Take picture of inside of bike box before taping the box up (for insurance purpose)
35. Take picture of the bike box packaged prior to check-in with all the labels and such

Last edited by dmeans2anend; 09-08-23 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-08-23, 11:43 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
just looking online.........that $200 fee is for us domestic routes.
the fees for non-US routes are much lower.
looks like your charge will be $60/$80/$110 per segment for an additional bag/box, depending on where in asia.

scroll down to the bottom of the page for non-US route fees.
https://flyasiana.com/C/KR/EN/contents/excess-baggage
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 09-08-23, 11:57 AM
dmeans2anend

Yes. I read that as well already. My first segment from Seattle to Seoul is $200 for excess baggage since a standard bike box is greater than 158 cm or 62" and the segment from Jeju to Gimpo may be an additional $110 per the oversize fee plus an additional 10,000 krw ($8). So, I'm looking about about $320 in bike baggage fees.
Old 09-08-23, 12:02 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Maybe consider simply renting a bike in each city you intend to ride.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 09-08-23, 12:03 PM
dmeans2anend

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Maybe consider simply renting a bike in each city you intend to ride.
I did consider it but we will be biking for nearly 6 weeks so it's not ideal to rent for that extended amount of time.
Old 09-08-23, 12:21 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
With multiple connections increasing the odds of bike misplacement, possibly ship it separately?
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 09-08-23, 12:32 PM
dmeans2anend

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
With multiple connections increasing the odds of bike misplacement, possibly ship it separately?
Yes. I agree with you which is why most of my travel segments are one way direct flights. However, out of all my flights there is only one connection that is from Jeju City to Gimpo Airport via Asiana and then Gimpo to Taipei via EVA. That is the only flight with connections. All the other flights are one way travel with stopovers in between for my bike tour.

Cost is higher shipping separately to each destination.
Old 09-08-23, 12:47 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Over the last 12 years I've flown from the US to France, London, and Denmark, on various airlines - Delta, American, Air France, Lufthansa. No Asian airlines.

Official policies have changed over that time; there has always been a linear dimension limit. Some of those trips were hauling a recumbent with a ginormous cardboard box. Never, ever, did anyone measure the box. Once they looked at it, said "it's too big", then changed their mind and charged me nothing. American, IIRC.

I've never been charged more than 100 Euros, even for the recumbent. What I recall is:

Lufthansa charged me nothing either way, despite policies indicating the fee would be anywhere from $100 to $200.
Air France charged me $100 outbound, 100 Euros return.
Delta charged me $100 outbound, zero return (this past month)

I suggest putting your bike in one of many bike cases or cardboard, keeping it under 50 lbs. Grit your teeth, and pay whatever the gate agent asks.
Old 09-08-23, 12:47 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
I recommend checking the fees BFORE you get a ticket, but that's just me.
Old 09-08-23, 12:49 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
In theory that's the right thing to do. In practice, I've found the gate agent makes the decision, which may or may not align with policy. In my case, it's been better than policy in most cases.
Old 09-08-23, 12:57 PM
dmeans2anend

Originally Posted by indyfabz
This ticket was especially complicated because of the multi-city segments with multiple carriers (UA, Asiana, and EVA) and using frequent flyer miles. It's not as simple as checking one airline and getting a straight answer. My point was that you need to cover all your basis and check ALL THE CARRIERS on your ticket and not just the issuer's baggage policy like I originally did with United. But, you also need to verify which carrier's baggage policy will determine the baggage fee for your particular flight segment. It's like raveling a ball of tangled yarn. Took me 4 hours for 3 phone calls with all three carriers and most did not even know. They had to do some checking in order to see which carrier ultimately decides the baggage fee. Big mistake on my part was not to call and pester all three carriers from the very beginning, (UA, Asiana, and EVA) even if it would have taken hours to confirm. Lesson learned for sure!!! In any case, hindsight is always 20/20 for those looking backwards.
Old 09-08-23, 01:01 PM
dmeans2anend

I totally agree!!! It's the luck of the draw.

Lesson: Always be nice, friendly, and polite to your check-in personnel. Talk about "REAL" power.
Old 09-08-23, 03:04 PM
dmeans2anend

Does anyone know the exact dimension of the Oracase Sub62 soft bike bag?

Per a previous thread, it stated : "Basically, if you measure from the end of the RD hanger up to the top of the headset, if that measurement is 38" or less then your bike will fit into the 62" compliant case of the Oracase Sub62. "

Luckily, my 49cm cyclocross bike measures exactly 38" from the RD hanger to the top of the headset. Yippeee!!!

Unfortunately, Oracase no longer make this soft case. I figure if I had the dimension, I would make my own bike box with cardboard to be 62" complaint.

Please help if you have the Oracase Sub62 and wouldn't mind sharing it's measurements. I know that it's not rectangular case but more of a Rhombus shape case with "banana box chopped methods" at both ends to get me closer to 62".

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Thank you!!!
Old 09-08-23, 03:18 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by dmeans2anend
Does anyone know the exact dimension of the Oracase Sub62 soft bike bag?

Per a previous thread, it stated : "Basically, if you measure from the end of the RD hanger up to the top of the headset, if that measurement is 38" or less then your bike will fit into the 62" compliant case of the Oracase Sub62. "

Luckily, my 49cm cyclocross bike measures exactly 38" from the RD hanger to the top of the headset. Yippeee!!!

Unfortunately, Oracase no longer make this soft case. I figure if I had the dimension, I would make my own bike box with cardboard to be 62" complaint.

Please help if you have the Oracase Sub62 and wouldn't mind sharing it's measurements. I know that it's not rectangular case but more of a Rhombus shape case with "banana box chopped methods" at both ends to get me closer to 62".

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Thank you!!!
'
The airline also specifies a hard case for bicycles.
Old 09-08-23, 03:21 PM
dmeans2anend

I'm using the Orucase dimension to make a DIY 'hard cardboard' case. Cardboard is "FREE" and since I'm only traveling in one direction, I don't have to worry about storing the bike case if its cardboard. In addition, I thinks it's only the first flight segment that they really get me at $200 from Seattle to Seoul. The other segments aren't as high in fee.

Last edited by dmeans2anend; 09-08-23 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-08-23, 05:00 PM
saddlesores

If you're going to be stuck paying up to $800 just for baggage fees, have you considered buying a 20" folding bike?

Either buy one now with a hard case that meets the airline requirements, or pick one up at your first destination.

https://tw.brompton.com/find-a-store...=4333&aid=6863
https://www.samchuly.co.kr/index.php/eng/dealer/lists
Old 09-08-23, 07:24 PM
dmeans2anend

You must have missed reading the rest of the thread....

I've stated that I will be making a DIY bike box so that it will comply with the 62 linear inch requirement to avoid having to pay any bike oversize fees.

It's not that hard to do except you have to take off the front fork.

I already have 3 bikes. Definitely don't need another one.
Old 09-08-23, 07:45 PM
saddlesores

You must have missed reading the rest of the thread....

I've stated that I will be making a DIY bike box so that it will comply with the 62 linear inch requirement to avoid having to pay any bike oversize fees.

It's not that hard to do except you have to take off the front fork.

I already have 3 bikes. Definitely don't need another one.
it's gonna be a close shave.
width will be about 7"
height (seattube) about 20"
that leaves just 35" for the diagonal length.
then allow for cardboard thickness and padding.
what about the wheels? a single wheel would need 52".

good luck!
please post photos.

{my 23" frame would require minimum 72", without padding)

Last edited by saddlesores; 09-08-23 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-08-23, 08:01 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
It looks like you are able to solve the problem by building a box. Good.

One suggestion is to print a copy of the baggage policies and have it with you as backup if there are questions.

In my past experiences with international flights I've generally found bikes are rare enough that airline personnel are often not sure of the rules - particularly in this situation where you are likely to work with United employees who deal with all sorts of different United flights. If they don't know they may consult someone else and who knows what else they look up.

In general this has often been in my favor (e g. not necessarily being charged as much as the fine print would say). In general I've polite+patient but also express some shock if they have some $ amount that is rather high. I'm not challenging their authority and often they want to help and don't always charge what I saw in the fine print.

I did have a situation where Delta airlines personnel for an Atlanta/Cartagena flight weren't sure if my bike box would fit through the baggage door... so they wanted to stop and have someone measure the door. I was using a standard size Alaska Airlines box (since Delta in Denver didn't have boxes) and Alaska Airlines also had the same model of plane as my Atlanta/Cartagena flight...
Old 09-08-23, 08:08 PM
dmeans2anend

Originally Posted by saddlesores
it's gonna be a close shave.
width will be about 7"
height (seattube) about 20"
that leaves just 35" for the diagonal length.
then allow for cardboard thickness and padding.
what about the wheels? a single wheel would need 52".

good luck!
please post photos.

{my 23" frame would require minimum 72", without padding)
Yes, I would be happy to post photos once I get going on the project in a few weeks as the trip is still one month away.
Old 09-08-23, 08:14 PM
saddlesores

Yes, I would be happy to post photos once I get going on the project in a few weeks as the trip is still one month away.
that's good, i thought it was coming up in a couple days.
have you contacted asiana airline?
Old 09-08-23, 08:23 PM
dmeans2anend

Yes. I was on the phone with them for about 2 hours yesterday trying to get the low down on the check baggage policy for bike.
Old 09-08-23, 08:46 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Use a bag. Buy some pipe foam and zip ties, I've traveled through the UK and France to Cyprus, Serbia and Greece using a bag and it hasn't been a big deal. Just bought this bag to travel to St. Louis. I was only bringing a basic motobecane single speed CX bike so I didn't use any packing material other than the plastic covers for the axle ends and some velcro strapping to hold it all together. Everything survived intact and it was free to ship. For a road bike I always used pipe insulation, removed the rear der, slid an extra thick winter sock over it and ziptied it to the rear stay. `This heavily reduced the odds of the hanger being bent and protected the der and paint. If I had a place to safely store the whole setup, I never did, I'd buy wheel bags and toss the wheels in the bag in wheel bags to further protect the frame. With the wheels overlapping and only spaced from the rear dropout to the headtube its as small as its going to get. Really liked this bag with the stuff sack for the SS, the sack held the tools on the trip and fit easily between the dropouts of my handlebar for riding out from the airport.
Old 09-08-23, 08:47 PM
saddlesores

Yes. I was on the phone with them for about 2 hours yesterday trying to get the low down on the check baggage policy for bike.
when you call and get an answer, ask the rep to email you a transcript of your chat to show ticket agents at the airports.
Old 09-08-23, 09:29 PM
dmeans2anend

No need. I have digital copies of the excess baggage fees and free baggage policy for each airline. The rep didn't say anything that I didn't already know from the websites.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.