Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Looking to join a tour in Ontario/Quebec/northeastern US

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-11, 12:15 PM
brawny
Grateful Tread

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Cardiac (hardtail MB/commuter), Aquila Pave (aluminum tourer)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Folks,

I posted this in the Eastern Canada regional forum already, but I'm duplicating here to reach a wider audience. I'm open to tours in the northeastern US as well, depending on timing, cost, etc.

Usually my wife and I tour together, but this year she's having problems with her achilles tendon, and to honest, I'm a little lost planning a tour without a partner. She's given me the go-ahead to tour without her, which is why I'm here looking for a tour to glom on to.

Last year we rode around Lake Ontario - 10 days riding, roughly 100k a day, loaded. We had a good time, camped some, stayed indoors some, saw some sights, and had a few beers along the way. That's the sort of tour I'm looking for. I've linked to my Crazy Guy journal from last summer here. Lots of pics, and a good description of our tour.

I have vacation for the first two weeks of August - and potentially the last week of July as well. I'm looking to hook up with a small group somewhere in Ontario or potentially Quebec as well. My preference is to camp at night, but I'm ok with the odd B&B - just trying to keep the cost to a minimum.

If this sounds like a fit, let me know and we can discuss offline.
Brawny
P.S. The more I read this post, the more it seems like some sort of creepy cyclist singles ad... Not my intention - just looking for an adventure!
Old 06-22-11, 12:25 PM
one-headedboy

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A ride around Lake Ontario actually sounds pretty fun. I live in Buffalo and was considering a finger lakes tour, but I would have been flying solo. I'll give this some thought.
Old 06-26-11, 03:36 PM
brawny
Grateful Tread

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Cardiac (hardtail MB/commuter), Aquila Pave (aluminum tourer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by one-headedboy
A ride around Lake Ontario actually sounds pretty fun. I live in Buffalo and was considering a finger lakes tour, but I would have been flying solo. I'll give this some thought.
It was! Finger Lakes are supposed to be a good ride as well. We did part of the Erie Canal trail last year - not sure if that would get you all the way over to the Finger Lakes or not, but for the piece we rode, it was a very peaceful, calm trail. Some of the towns along the canal have free camping for boaters/cyclists as well, which is a bonus if you're trying to tour on a budget.

I'm still mulling over options for this summer's tour - but having a hard time coming up with something that I can get excited about.