Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

it's been said a thousand times before, but get a pro fit

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

it's been said a thousand times before, but get a pro fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 01:54 PM
grwoolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
I think the OP means 8,000 miles and a total time investment roughly equal to a month. 8,000 miles at 14mph is approx 571 hours which in turn is about 24 days.
Everyone on BF averages at least 24mph, so your math is flawed.
Old 02-24-12, 02:04 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

you're right, I'm sure it was 8,000 miles in a calendar month. that's totally doable... 30mph average for 12 hours a day is only 22 days. piece of cake!
Old 02-24-12, 02:05 PM
Sir Real
Señor Member

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M1 (Rival)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why get a pro fit when you can just post a picture of your bike on the 41 and get a free and instant fitting?
Old 02-24-12, 02:07 PM
JamieElenbaas
enthusiast

Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to get a pro fit for my current main ride about 6 weeks and 500 - 600 miles after I got it. The fitter measured my knee angle at a couple of locations around the stroke, watched me spin for about 10 minutes at different cadences and resistance, had me get off the bike so he could adjust the saddle angle down by a couple of degrees, put me back on the bike to check his work and said, "You're already there, don't need me, so - no charge"

Interestingly, that minor saddle angle adjustment made a noticeable difference and I would have been happy to pay for his services.

One thing to bear in mind is that the original setup was done by eye by my neighbor, an ex pro, current bike manufacturer rep. He told me, "Ride for 500 miles and then get a fitting." I guess he knows his stuff.

Last edited by JamieElenbaas; 02-24-12 at 02:08 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-24-12, 02:10 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by IFLUX23
Lol, look who's here.
Have we met?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-24-12, 02:19 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I have never had the need for a fit. I was mentored on bike fit in the beginning at age 20 by local racers, raced 6 years on multiple bikes, and now at age 47 having averaged 2,000+ miles per year I have not had any physical issues or efficiency problems.

One of the best cycling comments I ever got was from a friend who owned a bicycle shop who said to me jealously; "do you have to look so comfortable on a bike? You look like you were born on that thing". He now builds custom high end bikes and owns a fit business but doesn't bother to try to get me in there.

I think a person can figure out fit on their own.
Old 02-24-12, 02:20 PM
FactVord

Bikes: 2011 Scott S30, 2012 Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL

you're right, I'm sure it was 8,000 miles in a calendar month. that's totally doable... 30mph average for 12 hours a day is only 22 days. piece of cake!
Triple century each day. Cake-walk.
Old 02-24-12, 02:27 PM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtalinm
yep, I kept telling myself

"it's too much money"

"I'll do it in the off-season"

"I want to lose some weight first"

"I'll just read peter white's website and figure it out myself"

what an idiot I was. finally I went tonight and got a pro fit. always thought I had a leg-length discrepancy and had adjusted my cleats (unsuccessfully) to compensate.

dead wrong. for about 8,000 miles and an elapsed month of my life I'd been riding on a saddle that was too narrow, cleats too far forward, with bars too low, etc etc etc.

idiot me.

lots of shops, at least in cold areas, have winter discounts. just do it.
This isn't meant to sound like one of my normal smart ass comments...as far as all the corrections go, Says who?
Old 02-24-12, 02:34 PM
KoNP

Bikes: BMC SL02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I have never had the need for a fit. I was mentored on bike fit in the beginning at age 20 by local racers, raced 6 years on multiple bikes, and now at age 47 having averaged 2,000+ miles per year I have not had any physical issues or efficiency problems.

One of the best cycling comments I ever got was from a friend who owned a bicycle shop who said to me jealously; "do you have to look so comfortable on a bike? You look like you were born on that thing". He now builds custom high end bikes and owns a fit business but doesn't bother to try to get me in there.

You first and last sentence completely contradict each other.
Old 02-24-12, 03:44 PM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KoNP
You first and last sentence completely contradict each other.
No they don't. Well, maybe if you only read the first and last sentence.

When he says he never had the need for a fit, he meant he never had the need for a pro fit, which was what the now absent OP stated in his post.
Old 02-24-12, 06:53 PM
ljsense

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
I went to a bike fitter and had a very embarrassing but useful session that has greatly improved my comfort on the bike. He told me to quit trying to wedge my frank and beans through the hole in my Selle Anatomica saddle. He explained that that's not what it's for. Plus I got a shorter, higher-angle stem and compact handlebars. $250 well spent.
Old 02-24-12, 07:10 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr

Well I've been screwing with mine for 4 months and still can't seem to find what you are talking about.........
Old 02-24-12, 07:23 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
A similar thread was on another BF forum a while ago. This is one of those subjects that you can beat to death and still have no right or wrong way to get fit on your bike. There are those that are in tune with their bodies and have the ability to know what the problem is and how to make the adjustments that work for them. There are those that know there is something wrong with their fit but even after reading articles and watching videos, can't apply the techniques to their hands. There are those that could do the adjustments themselves, but don't want to bother with it. Then there are those that have no clue. I applaud those that can do their own fit adjustments and get it right on. I'm the guy that can do it but doesn't want to ride in discomfort while I try to figure it out.

I got a Retul fitting just after I got my first road bike because I had a 100k charity ride coming up the next month and didn't want to do that ride and not be properly fit with self attempted trial and error settings. It took three sessions and two weeks to get the bike properly adjusted. For me, that was the best investment I have made on anything cycling. I put 3,100 miles on the bike in one year and didn't have the first problem with fit issues. I just bought a new bike and the settings from the old bike were transferred to the new one. A quick 20 minutes on the computer to verify the settings and I was on the bike and riding as if it was the old bike that was perfectly dialed in for me.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-24-12, 07:26 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
In my experience 'pro' is a euphemism meaning "you paid for it." There are good fitters and bad. Some trained in the same techniques and schools of thought. If that particular school of thought matches your needs you're set. If not, and the fitter can't see beyond the box that's been constructed for them you could be left with a less than ideal fit. The simple fact is that the body will adapt to a wide range of possible positions on the bike, and short of trying to eek an extra watt out here and there one is likely to never know the difference between how they're accustomed to riding and the elusive perfect fit. Money on fits are best served for newbies and guys and gals who are suffering from injuries and problems, which of course could be alleviated by a bike adjustment or saddle change. The idea that everyone needs a pro fit is erroneous, as most fit guidelines one can find online will put a rider in a position comparable within the margin of error of any other fit system.

Last edited by gsteinb; 02-24-12 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 07:30 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NOpe, I can fix my own speeding tickets, drill and fill my own cavities, and set my own broken bones when needed. I do rarely drink beer, but when I do, I dring Dos XX
Old 02-24-12, 09:43 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir Real
Why get a pro fit when you can just post a picture of your bike on the 41 and get a free and instant fitting?
X gets the square.
Old 02-24-12, 09:56 PM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey MtalinM, you didn't by any chance happen to have a set of integrated FSA bar/stem combo on your bike before your fitting, did you?
Old 02-24-12, 11:15 PM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
In my experience 'pro' is a euphemism meaning "you paid for it." There are good fitters and bad. Some trained in the same techniques and schools of thought. If that particular school of thought matches your needs you're set. If not, and the fitter can't see beyond the box that's been constructed for them you could be left with a less than ideal fit.
The idea that everyone needs a pro fit is erroneous, as most fit guidelines one can find online will put a rider in a position comparable within the margin of error of any other fit system.
I can definitely find merit in what you are saying. I also was in the same vein of thought as you (And still sort of am) in general about fitting being something that can be done by yourself and that fitting is more or less just a formulaic approach to adjustments.

In this case though I believe I know who fitted the OP. If it is who I think it is he is both a serious rider/ racer and he accepts that fitting is merely formulaic. I also shelled out for a fit from him and I can say he gave me more tips then anything, taught me more about my position, my flexibility (I am more flexible then I thought) and anatomical discrepancies (leg length differences right here). With his help I actually learned how to fit myself better.

A fitter is not always just someone who performs the fit, alot of times they are a teacher aswell. Just like someone might pay for a coach or training peak software to help with analyzation sometimes paying a fitter is the same thing, a lesson.
Old 02-24-12, 11:19 PM
questionthis
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
yep, I kept telling myself

"it's too much money"

"I'll do it in the off-season"

"I want to lose some weight first"

"I'll just read peter white's website and figure it out myself"

what an idiot I was. finally I went tonight and got a pro fit. always thought I had a leg-length discrepancy and had adjusted my cleats (unsuccessfully) to compensate.

dead wrong. for about 8,000 miles and an elapsed month of my life I'd been riding on a saddle that was too narrow, cleats too far forward, with bars too low, etc etc etc.

idiot me.

lots of shops, at least in cold areas, have winter discounts. just do it.
nou
Old 02-24-12, 11:19 PM
questionthis
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no ur the one whos gonna get fitted for bicycle
Old 02-25-12, 09:46 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kv501
No they don't. Well, maybe if you only read the first and last sentence.

When he says he never had the need for a fit, he meant he never had the need for a pro fit, which was what the now absent OP stated in his post.
Of course his first sentences contradict his last. He concludes that a person can figure out fit on their own when his own history clearly shows that he didn't... he was mentored.

I think a good fit is very worthwhile. I fit myself and was pretty comfortable on my bike. Last year I decided to get a BG Fit done. My saddle was moved up and back, which greatly improved my balance on the saddle and therefore my longer distance hand/arm comfort. I now know what I didn't know about my fit and was able to transfer that to my other bikes, as well as help my brother improve his comfort by improving his balance on the saddle.
Old 02-25-12, 10:01 AM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my experience 'pro' is a euphemism meaning "you paid for it." There are good fitters and bad. Some trained in the same techniques and schools of thought. If that particular school of thought matches your needs you're set. If not, and the fitter can't see beyond the box that's been constructed for them you could be left with a less than ideal fit. The simple fact is that the body will adapt to a wide range of possible positions on the bike, and short of trying to eek an extra watt out here and there one is likely to never know the difference between how they're accustomed to riding and the elusive perfect fit. Money on fits are best served for newbies and guys and gals who are suffering from injuries and problems, which of course could be alleviated by a bike adjustment or saddle change. The idea that everyone needs a pro fit is erroneous, as most fit guidelines one can find online will put a rider in a position comparable within the margin of error of any other fit system.
This. With that said, a good bike fitter, if nothing else, can put you in a decent starting position.
Old 02-25-12, 10:20 AM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found trying to fine tune or even get in the ball park with fitting to be maddening. The best way to describe fitting a bike myself is this.

Old 02-26-12, 12:33 AM
mattkime

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It was well worth it for me. I went here - https://www.endurancewerx.com/
Old 02-26-12, 05:06 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm looking for that picture of Fabian Cancellara going through a fitting with Andy Pruitt.

When I was in college I took six hours of basic law. Now, I represent myself in legal matters.

I love the think tank here.

Getting assistance is not for everyone. It's like reading the instructions or a map.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.