Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is there a trick for unfolding the Brompton with the C-Bag attached to the FCB?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 03-04-14, 09:11 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Because if there is, I don't see it. Obviously I rather not have to unclip the bag before unfolding the bike if possible, but it seems like the stem-hinge's screw handle is just half an inch too long. It keeps grating against the base of the bag support frame when I try to tighten it.

Seems like a design oversight on Brompton's part. I guess I could use a hacksaw and shorten it myself, but surely Brompton must have noticed this? Or is there a good reason why it is so?
Old 03-04-14, 10:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Never noticed an issue

Rear Wheel under, then, fold front wheel back first, then fold the bars down ,

and lower the seat post..

Fully stuffed Pockets on the back of the bag may interfere with the stem mast fold down..

.. leave starboard pocket empty.

the shopping basket does not have back pockets, so that interference is gone..

a 'Why it is so?' , may be answered by asking someone at the Brompton company ,
via their contact link.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-04-14 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-04-14, 07:07 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm I'll give your suggestion a try when I'm back home. It doesn't seem like a pocket thing. The hinge scrapes against the plastic portion of the bracket itself, not the C-bag proper... so maybe even the Shopping Basket might cause problems.

I'll also ask Brompton and put the reply up here. Hasn't anyone else notice this problem?
Old 03-05-14, 07:32 AM
keyven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI.

Thank you for your observation.

I have asked our design team about this and they were able to inform me that if you want to keep the luggage mounted at the same time as completely folding up the bicycle, then just as you describe, the longer side of the hinge clamp lever conflicts slightly with the back of the luggage frame. To complete the final stage of the fold it is much more convenient to remove the luggage. .

Perhaps surprisingly, this point has been raised with us on only a few occasions.

Our design team feel that on the whole our bicycle users value being able to use the clamp as quickly and easily as possible above wanting to keep the luggage mounted through all the stages of the fold.

I do understand the desire to keep the luggage mounted to the frame, though. Some people are able to lift the folded bicycle with the luggage attached and this can leave them with a spare hand/arm which is useful when passing through station ticket-barriers, for example.

To achieve both requirements at the same time, it would appear necessary to either redesign the back of the luggage frame or shorten the longest side of the hinge clamp lever. The second of these options will reduce the ease of use of the hinge clamp lever, but perhaps could be done relatively easily as a modification if you wish.

Mounting the bracket further forward is unlikely to be a good idea because it would also require a different front carrier block, which will cause greater leverage, and less strength.

Our design team has been glad to receive this feedback and although we do not currently have plans to change this aspect of the design, the point has been noted and will doubtless be looked at again at alter date.

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to communicate your observation to us. I do hope you can enjoy continued use of you bicycle without much impediment by this aspect of luggage use.

Kind Regards
John Colwell

Old 03-05-14, 08:22 AM
GoodShipRuffles
Good Ship Ruffles

Bikes: Brompton!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only recently realised you could attach the bag with the bike folded! Must be slow on the uptake. I also used to remove the brake blocks when changing the pads. Duh!
Old 03-05-14, 08:22 AM
Ed in Toronto

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Although it doesn't solve your problem, it was nice of them to answer with so much detail.
Old 03-05-14, 08:57 AM
keyven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed in Toronto
Although it doesn't solve your problem, it was nice of them to answer with so much detail.
Yes it is. I guess it is up to the user to do the simple modification. It's less than a quarter of an inch to file off and it should be fine.
Old 03-05-14, 10:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I've 'seen' aftermarket T bolts .. premium priced , for gram shavers .

https://www.brompfication.com/39-hing...-titanium.html
Old 03-05-14, 07:53 PM
keyven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I've 'seen' aftermarket T bolts .. premium priced , for gram shavers .

https://www.brompfication.com/39-hing...-titanium.html
Nice~ but I'm not sure they would make much difference though.

I did find a rather messy alternative - switch the standard unfolding sequence by clamping the main body first, THEN pull up and clamp the handlebar. Currently it's quite annoying to do with a bulky bag, but I'm hoping practice makes perfect
Old 03-06-14, 12:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

using the bars to fold the main hinge back , and turn the front wheel so as to engage the hook
on the left side of the fork , over the right folded under rear chainstay tube.
is simpler, IMO, than folding down the stem first , then folding back the wheel ..

I use the hole in the catch lever on the mounting block .. and tie a cord thru it and loop it behind the headset.

it makes popping your front bag off simple, so as to remove it then re install it quite a bit simpler..