Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cougar kills 1 mountain biker and injures the other in Washington state

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cougar kills 1 mountain biker and injures the other in Washington state

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-18, 03:41 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Video fake. Fancy editing.
I am looking forward to your fancy editing to make a similar fake video.
Old 05-28-18, 12:05 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rachel120
Technically, you only have to worry about a big cat in those areas if one escapes from a zoo. Cougars are scientifically classified as small cats, same as your house cat.

And as far as this case, cougars are small cats in mind as well as by science. Think about your house cat and the last mouse/spider/companion cat/typical companion dog he saw. If it ran, he chased and played claws out. Fellow cat or companion dog, if they gave the "mom" look he backed down. There was a cougar spotted very near my house (and other people's houses) when I was in high school. It was a rare occurrence at that time, though it was the beginning of cougars moving into that area permanently, and everyone was spooked. Walking that quarter mile along a dirt road and trees to the bus stop was creepy when you could see very large kitty cat prints that weren't there the day before, and even more the next day. My next door neighbor had a little dog, small thing, that was kept outdoors on a leash at night, and for a few nights he just barked his head off. After a few nights, my neighbors realized that there were cougar prints going all the way up to the small dog .
If the internet is to be believed, male cougars can be 220 lbs and 8 feet long. Some house cat!

Re the bear thing, I believe you should puff yourself up for grizzlies and play dead for black bears. Or is it the other way around? I can never remember. For polar bears just punch them in the nose. There was a story a while back about a guide who had success with that though it's probably something of a hail-Mary.
Old 05-29-18, 01:15 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by salcedo
I remember reading a story a couple of years ago about plans to reintroduce cougars to some areas in Northern California to control the deer population

The argument for it was that statistically deer kill a lot more people than cougars, because of traffic accidents

The argument against was that cougars ocassionally attack people and it can be very gruesome
We haven't been able to hunt mountains lions here for a long time, so they are becoming overpopulated in their ranges, pushing young ones into areas with more humans. The thing keeping the mountain lion population down is the lack of deer in California.
Old 05-29-18, 02:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
Re the bear thing, I believe you should puff yourself up for grizzlies and play dead for black bears. Or is it the other way around? I can never remember. For polar bears just punch them in the nose. There was a story a while back about a guide who had success with that though it's probably something of a hail-Mary.
I strongly urge you to stay out of bear country.
Old 05-29-18, 02:58 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
That's all fine and dandy, except the bears think everywhere is bear country. I lived in a major metro area, nearly 2 million people, and the southern portion had an issue with bears leaving the wilderness and coming to take a stroll through the residential areas.
Old 05-29-18, 04:08 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I haven't seen this posted yet.

Originally Posted by BRAIN
Bike community mourns death of mechanic and activist who died in cougar attack
The bike community across the country, including colleagues at at least two bike shops, is mourning the death of S.J. Brooks, who died in a cougar attack while mountain biking near Seattle last Saturday.
[...]
Brooks was an employee of Seattle's G&O Family Cyclery and a co-founder of the Seattle chapter of the Friends on Bikes organization...[and] also worked as a mechanic and staffer at Broadway Bicycle in Cambridge, Massachusetts, from 2009 to 2016.
Old 05-30-18, 12:12 AM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good tip but as someone else pointed out that would be difficult in much of North America. I've spent a lot of time camping and canoeing in 'bear country' and have never come across one. My father used to spend time in the polar bear capital of Churchill and they weren't a problem in the early '60s.
Nonetheless, everyone is in a tizzy about bears so, on a recent trip to Yellowstone, I invested in a can of spray. My biggest fear is being arrested for it when we cross the border.
BTW, which one do you play dead for? Black or grizzly? Probably good to know. And true story about punching the polar bear in the nose. He said it felt like punching a bag of hamburger.
Old 05-30-18, 01:21 AM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Dispelling Myths About Bears - BearSmart.com

Myth #15 : Play dead during an attack.

Fact: Playing dead will work if you’re being attacked by a mother grizzly defending her cubs. But it is the wrong thing to do if you’re being attacked by a predatory bear. If a bear attacks (particularly a black bear) in an offensive manner and physical contact is made, fight for your life. Kick, punch, hit the bear with rocks or sticks or any improvised weapon you can find. A predatory bear usually stalks its prey and attacks from behind. It is often silent and the bear does not exhibit any defensive behaviors like huffing or slapping the ground. Its ears may be laid back and its head held low, with its intent focused directly on you. See our Play section for more information.
Old 05-30-18, 04:59 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rachel120
That's all fine and dandy, except the bears think everywhere is bear country. I lived in a major metro area, nearly 2 million people, and the southern portion had an issue with bears leaving the wilderness and coming to take a stroll through the residential areas.
In Philly two years ago. In a popular hiking and fishing area. Surprised no one took a shot at him. Authorities believe he headed south to Delaware for tax-free shopping.

Old 05-30-18, 05:06 AM
indyfabz

G
BTW, which one do you play dead for? Black or grizzly? Probably good to know. And true story about punching the polar bear in the nose. He said it felt like punching a bag of hamburger.
Yes. I am aware of the story. It's not either or. Do some research on how to react in different scenarios. For example, you sometimes play dead for a grizzly, but not if you are being stalked. In that case, if you can get 10' up in a tree before it gets to the base you should, because, unlike black bears, grizzlies are poor tree climbers. I once saw a young black bear scamper up a tree at squirrel speed. And if you are in grizzlies country you have to learn how to differentiate between them and black bears. Color doesn't alway count.
Old 05-31-18, 11:52 AM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes. I am aware of the story. It's not either or. Do some research on how to react in different scenarios. For example, you sometimes play dead for a grizzly, but not if you are being stalked. In that case, if you can get 10' up in a tree before it gets to the base you should, because, unlike black bears, grizzlies are poor tree climbers. I once saw a young black bear scamper up a tree at squirrel speed. And if you are in grizzlies country you have to learn how to differentiate between them and black bears. Color doesn't alway count.
I think I'll continue to rely on good luck, reasonable preparation (i.e. making noise and keeping food away from a tent) and bear spray. Bear attacks are not very common for hikers let alone cyclists and there seems to be excessive concern. Also, in the unlikely event I was attacked by a bear, I would likely not have the presence of mind to recall my reading on the topic, calmly evaluate the details of the situation and react appropriately.
Old 05-31-18, 12:14 PM
indyfabz

Also, in the unlikely event I was attacked by a bear, I would likely not have the presence of mind to recall my reading on the topic, calmly evaluate the details of the situation and react appropriately.
Knowing what and what not to do can prevent attacks in the first place. Just look at the small group of city kids hiking in NW New Jersey a few years ago. Stopping to take photos and apparently not realizing they were being stalked. Then they split up, lessening the chances of fending off the bear should it continue to pursue. One of them was found mauled to death. When you are with others, you don't have to be able to outrun the animal. You just have to be able to outrun one other member of your group.

When I had my close encounter back in September the thought of pulling out the phone and snapping a pic never crossed my mind. I saw no hostile signs so I simply retreated sideways, not looking away but not staring directly. I demonstrated non-threatening behavior in return for his, so he went about his business.
Old 05-31-18, 12:30 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, in the unlikely event I was attacked by a bear, I would likely not have the presence of mind to recall my reading on the topic, calmly evaluate the details of the situation and react appropriately.
What? You haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express?

On a serious note though, having the knowledge gives you a slightly better chance in surviving than not knowing what to do at all. It might come immediately to mind, so you know what to do. Even if it doesn't, your automatic reaction might be influenced subconsciously from what you've learned.

Here's a question. When the situation calls for posturing and presenting yourself as the bigger threat, would picking up your bike to add to your apparent size be a good thing or a bad thing? On one hand if all goes wrong you have a shield to take the first blow and a really heavy blunt object. On the other hand, having something so bulky in your hands is going to slow you down and make your movements less nimble and awkward.
Old 06-05-18, 01:05 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
About 20yr ago I was on a two night solo backpack trip in Kolob canyon (part of Zion NP). It was mid week and raining and I was the only one on the trail based on lack of any fresh prints. Several miles in I crossed the well flowing stream and set up camp on high area above the water. When I was finished setting up camp about 20min later I went back to stream to collect water and there were large cougar prints right over mine on both sides of river. I went back to camp and built a modest fire - something I never do in wilderness as I use a stove for cooking and don't like the added impact a fire has. Next day I found the prints did not continue further on the trail, but circled back above my camp.
Other than that I once saw a mountain lion jumping between two rocks about 100' from me when hiking in North Maricopa Mountains wilderness.