Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Quality of Workout

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Quality of Workout

Old 06-13-18, 07:24 PM
a126521

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quality of Workout

Hi, I'm new to this board and bike on my own about 15 miles (lots of hills) most days. My ride is much shorter than many others but it takes about 1.15 hours to complete and is strenuous to me. I'm 57 but used to run long distances and I'm in excellent shape. Recently I did some longer biking along route 101 in CA, and it was not very difficult. I'm wondering of the longer distance riders are taking easier courses. I don't see how most people could handle 50 to 150 miles of the stuff I ride every day.

Also any views on the best type of bike for this type riding. I use an older hybrid (Kono) which I really like and service regularly but considering an upgrade.
Old 06-14-18, 02:09 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
welcome. if you like your bike, what would you consider an upgrade? for me, longer road riding calls for a drop bar road bike
Old 06-14-18, 02:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
You'll be surprised to find how spending time in the saddle can increase your endurance. I know that sounds like stating the obvious but generally, you can do on a weekend the number of miles you do across the week. So if you ride 15 miles a day Monday through Friday, you should be able to ride 50 to 75 miles on Saturday or Sunday. Once you do that, increase your weekday mileage a bit, and you can increase your weekend mileage.

There is a section of bike forums for long distance riding. Some people ride 200 to 600 km in a single weekend, some even more. Those courses are not flat.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-14-18, 02:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Each ride, and rider is different.

Most of my longer day rides are relatively flat, but that still doesn't equate riding 15 miles to riding 150 miles. You may get some hills, but the rides are still, at least different. And, it takes a lot of general endurance to do a 150-PLUS mile ride.

Also, what you consider hilly may be killers for some riders, and pretty routine riding for other riders.

I've done a few semi-organized half century rides, and they certainly are not flat. The organized century rides I've done also seem to find good sized hills to go over. Yes, a fair amount of flat riding, but perhaps 15 miles of hill climbing (not counting descents).
Old 06-14-18, 02:40 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Intensity and ascent are not strictly related. My rides with what I consider to be "climbing numbers," that is, +60ft/mi ascent, routinely have lower kJ/mi numbers than flatter rides or rides on undulating terrain.

63.1 miles with 3,800ft of vertical, 36.5kj/mi (17.3mph)
35.4 miles with 770ft of vertical, 35.4kj/mi (20.8mph)
43.6 miles with 1,184ft of vertical, 39.1kj/mi (18.9mph)

Going solo +22mph on flat land is as hare as tackling +6% grades, if not harder. Because there's no downhill on the other side.
Old 06-14-18, 04:17 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
...and the wind is always in your face, and sometimes from the sides and rear, too.
Old 06-14-18, 04:39 PM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Personally, I just find it hard to be on a bike for more than about 50 miles. As much as I like cycling, there is a tipping point where I just don't want to sit on a bike anymore.
It's not so much that I'm just physically spent...I just feel too uncomfortable to care anymore.
To me it's a hobby and a way to keep in shape, and to also socialize with other cyclists. But it comes to a point where "doing something else" overrides my desire to sit on the saddle any longer.
But that's me.
Old 06-14-18, 04:47 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by a126521
Hi, I'm new to this board and bike on my own about 15 miles (lots of hills) most days. My ride is much shorter than many others but it takes about 1.15 hours to complete and is strenuous to me. I'm 57 but used to run long distances and I'm in excellent shape. Recently I did some longer biking along route 101 in CA, and it was not very difficult. I'm wondering of the longer distance riders are taking easier courses. I don't see how most people could handle 50 to 150 miles of the stuff I ride every day.

Also any views on the best type of bike for this type riding. I use an older hybrid (Kono) which I really like and service regularly but considering an upgrade.
Join Strava, and like me, you'll constantly be amazed at the fitness level of A LOT of people. I'll come back from a 60+ miler with 5,000' of climbing, thinking "I done good", but upload to Strava, and cower in shame at the random people on my FlyBy's that are doing 80+ miles with 8,000' or more of climbing. Usually I'll see at least one 100+ mile rider. And a lot of these are hard efforts, not some soft pedal easy effort. Being in excellent shape doesn't mean you're in excellent cycling shape, or have the same kind of ability as others. I know this first hand!

If you are riding mostly road, and are trying to get better, consider a drop bar road bike. Then you'll get the sickness we all get...upgrade fever!
Old 06-15-18, 04:28 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
You can look for routes on sites like RideWithGPS and see the length of rides people do, along with how many feet of climbing there are - a good indicator of how hard or easy a ride is but not the only indicator, since doing a flat 100 mile ride under 6 hours is a good workout, too...

I'm 61 and regularly do 60 - 85 mile rides and an occasional 100 miler. If you were to lengthen your typical rides from 15 miles to 25-30 miles, then you would only need to do three of them, with rest stops in between, and you are doing big mileage.

I used a hybrid bike for many years, did upgrade to a road bike with drop bars and a lighter frame/better wheels - the difference is definitely noticeable from either a fatigue/mile or overall mph at equal fitness view.
Old 06-15-18, 04:49 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
As a fellow runner, though my distances are getting shorter, there is definitely a difference between cycling fitness and running fitness. BTW - I am 52, so not the youngest of this group. Keep pedaling, just like running you are building strength and endurance, just using muscles differently than running. If you want speed, I would recommend finding a road bike. The old ones still work great and there are some great bikes on Craigslist if you are patient, or if you buy new get at least Tiagra level groupset.
Old 06-15-18, 06:58 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Stratocaster
Personally, I just find it hard to be on a bike for more than about 50 miles. As much as I like cycling, there is a tipping point where I just don't want to sit on a bike anymore.
It's not so much that I'm just physically spent...I just feel too uncomfortable to care anymore.
To me it's a hobby and a way to keep in shape, and to also socialize with other cyclists. But it comes to a point where "doing something else" overrides my desire to sit on the saddle any longer.
But that's me.
You just described me perfectly. About the only time I'll do more than 50 is a special event or if I am riding out west and seeing and exploring new things.
Old 06-15-18, 07:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

did 48 Tuesday, that took all day, especially with a little sight seeing mixed in
did just under 18 last night & that was a nice cpl of hrs
used to do a regular 30 mile loop & that was good for a solid cpl hrs out of the house
funny last night I felt like I was ready to crush it, but was quickly reminded about all the regular strong riders there are out there. all of which, completely smoked me. not rudely at all, just a solid reminder what a true athlete looks like
Old 06-15-18, 07:31 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Join Strava, and like me, you'll constantly be amazed at the fitness level of A LOT of people. I'll come back from a 60+ miler with 5,000' of climbing, thinking "I done good", but upload to Strava, and cower in shame at the random people on my FlyBy's that are doing 80+ miles with 8,000' or more of climbing. Usually I'll see at least one 100+ mile rider. And a lot of these are hard efforts, not some soft pedal easy effort. Being in excellent shape doesn't mean you're in excellent cycling shape, or have the same kind of ability as others. I know this first hand!

If you are riding mostly road, and are trying to get better, consider a drop bar road bike. Then you'll get the sickness we all get...upgrade fever!
That's the thing - if you work at it, you can certainly improve. And what looks impressive or even insurmountable at one point in your life can turn out to be a piece of cake a year or 2 later.
There is a hill near where I live that I saw a guy climbing up - this was about 2 years ago. I was so impressed and wondered how ANYBODY could climb that hill. Today it's just a blip on the road for me.
I happened to run into Bobby Lea (our US Olympic cycling competitor) at a local bike shop. I told him how I marveled at how he could win a 30 mile training race on Thursday, and then hit the velodrome and win races on Friday night. I said that I didn't know how he did it.
His reply to me was, "Yeah, I don't know how I did it, either".
It all comes down to how much you want to train and work to improve, really.
Old 06-15-18, 09:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I've now gotten to the point where I do at least one century per weekend, and have averaged 200 + miles for each of the last 3 weekends. I recently rode 168 miles in one day, and I have decided that's max for me because the thought of one more hour on top of that ride was not a happy prospect. The point is, though, that I got to the ability to do this by setting arbitrary goals for myself and not by comparing myself to other riders. I'm 57 years old--if I went on Strava and compared my times and elevations etc. to other riders, I'm sure I could find ones that would make me feel like my performance is inadequate. But I have to remember, if someone had told me 2 years ago I'd be riding these distances, I'd have thought they were nuts.

No one can tell you what is good for you--15 miles on a hilly, windy road is good if you're enjoying it and it makes you feel good. If you think you'll feel better doing another 5 miles, do it! If not, don't.

BTW, with the length of my rides, if I didn't vary them enough so that the longer ones didn't involve some exploring and/or a good meal, I'd go nuts out of boredom.

As to bikes--with distance, it isn't just how fast you can go. I had a '90s hybrid I could ride pretty fast, but after one of my arms swelled up from bad positioning combined with repetitive bumps after a 153 mile ride, I decided I needed either to ride less or get a better bike. I went with the FX 3 which is a fast, comfy flat bar. The day after I rode the 168 miles on it, I rode another 50 and felt fine. One thing I've learned the hard way is the value of proper fit of a bike grows exponentially with distance. Don't go too big or too small. I also think you can't buy a distance bike sight unseen and expect good results. You really need to try it out to see if the geometry lets you get into positions you can tolerate for hours.
Old 06-16-18, 11:46 AM
a126521

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
welcome. if you like your bike, what would you consider an upgrade? for me, longer road riding calls for a drop bar road bike
Thanks, what's the benefit of a drop bar vs the straight bar on a hybrid?
Old 06-16-18, 11:51 AM
a126521

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Intensity and ascent are not strictly related. My rides with what I consider to be "climbing numbers," that is, +60ft/mi ascent, routinely have lower kJ/mi numbers than flatter rides or rides on undulating terrain.

63.1 miles with 3,800ft of vertical, 36.5kj/mi (17.3mph)
35.4 miles with 770ft of vertical, 35.4kj/mi (20.8mph)
43.6 miles with 1,184ft of vertical, 39.1kj/mi (18.9mph)

Going solo +22mph on flat land is as hare as tackling +6% grades, if not harder. Because there's no downhill on the other side.
Thanks and agreed - do you use something to measure distance, speed, incline, etc?
Old 06-16-18, 11:53 AM
a126521

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But that's me.
I haven't done long enough rides to know, but I'm guessing I'd feel the same unless the terrain was extraordinary. I usually cross train at the gym most days probably for that same reason, and to give a little balance to my upper body.
Old 06-16-18, 12:01 PM
a126521

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've now gotten to the point where I do at least one century per weekend, and have averaged 200 + miles for each of the last 3 weekends. I recently rode 168 miles in one day, and I have decided that's max for me because the thought of one more hour on top of that ride was not a happy prospect. The point is, though, that I got to the ability to do this by setting arbitrary goals for myself and not by comparing myself to other riders. I'm 57 years old--if I went on Strava and compared my times and elevations etc. to other riders, I'm sure I could find ones that would make me feel like my performance is inadequate. But I have to remember, if someone had told me 2 years ago I'd be riding these distances, I'd have thought they were nuts.

No one can tell you what is good for you--15 miles on a hilly, windy road is good if you're enjoying it and it makes you feel good. If you think you'll feel better doing another 5 miles, do it! If not, don't.

BTW, with the length of my rides, if I didn't vary them enough so that the longer ones didn't involve some exploring and/or a good meal, I'd go nuts out of boredom.

As to bikes--with distance, it isn't just how fast you can go. I had a '90s hybrid I could ride pretty fast, but after one of my arms swelled up from bad positioning combined with repetitive bumps after a 153 mile ride, I decided I needed either to ride less or get a better bike. I went with the FX 3 which is a fast, comfy flat bar. The day after I rode the 168 miles on it, I rode another 50 and felt fine. One thing I've learned the hard way is the value of proper fit of a bike grows exponentially with distance. Don't go too big or too small. I also think you can't buy a distance bike sight unseen and expect good results. You really need to try it out to see if the geometry lets you get into positions you can tolerate for hours.
Thanks, I also don't think I could take the longer rides without some interesting component to it, like riding along a shoreline or heading across a border. I'll check out the FX 3. I noticed when I rented a quality bike for a week, the ride was much easier, possibly due to much better shifting gears.
Old 06-16-18, 12:01 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
But that's me.
Neither do I. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but its not for everyone. There are many ways to cycle and still be in shape.

If centuries and all day marathons in the saddles are your goal and what you enjoy doing then by all means do so. But that's not to say that's the goal of every cyclist, nor is it necessary to get in shape. After all, a sprinter is not a marathon runner but doesn't mean they both can't be the best at what they do.
Old 06-16-18, 12:04 PM
a126521

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
As a fellow runner, though my distances are getting shorter, there is definitely a difference between cycling fitness and running fitness. BTW - I am 52, so not the youngest of this group. Keep pedaling, just like running you are building strength and endurance, just using muscles differently than running. If you want speed, I would recommend finding a road bike. The old ones still work great and there are some great bikes on Craigslist if you are patient, or if you buy new get at least Tiagra level groupset.
Thanks, I don't want the speed as much as I want the workout. I always wonder if the people who buy extremely expensively equipment are undermining themselves by making it as easy as possible. Going forward, I planning to run less and bike more to reduce the friction on my joints.
Old 06-16-18, 06:40 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Thanks and agreed - do you use something to measure distance, speed, incline, etc?

Well, I'm as addicted to numbers as I am to riding the bike, so along with the GPS computer is a crank-based power meter, heart rate monitor, and wheel speed sensor. I don't know why I need to know all of these things, but I do. I pore over them. I spend long periods of time trying make sense out of things like this:

Old 06-18-18, 08:31 AM
rumrunn6

Thanks, what's the benefit of a drop bar vs the straight bar on a hybrid?
more aerodynamic body position
lighter bike
more hand positions
Old 06-18-18, 09:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Thanks, I don't want the speed as much as I want the workout. I always wonder if the people who buy extremely expensively equipment are undermining themselves by making it as easy as possible. Going forward, I planning to run less and bike more to reduce the friction on my joints.
No, probably not. They are still putting out the same or more effort. They are just getting better speeds, longer distance or better numbers in something. Sometimes the pursuit of those higher numbers is what gives them the encouragement to continue exercising.
Old 06-18-18, 03:58 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
more aerodynamic body position

more hand positions
No benefits come entirely without some cost. In this case, it would be restricted view and increased neck and back strain.
lighter bike
Not necessarily. But you could add lower center-of-gravity for sure.

Originally Posted by Iride01
No, probably not. They are still putting out the same or more effort. They are just getting better speeds, longer distance or better numbers in something. Sometimes the pursuit of those higher numbers is what gives them the encouragement to continue exercising.
All the things that are beneficial when racing because it give us something to measure and compare. The effects of the energy expenditure on the body, however, are indistinguishable -- either way.
Old 06-18-18, 04:50 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Originally Posted by Iride01
All the things that are beneficial when racing because it give us something to measure and compare. The effects of the energy expenditure on the body, however, are indistinguishable -- either way.
I don't understand.... I can read this as agreeing or disagreeing with the quoted statement. I'm not sure which.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.