Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tell Me What You Think

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tell Me What You Think

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 08:26 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
is this a bike shop, and it was shipped directly to you?
Old 10-01-18, 09:22 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Thank you for the feedback. I happen to be a big fan of both Aksiums and Gatorskins for where I do most of my riding. I put several thousand miles on a set on the horrible streets of New Orleans and they were still perfectly true when I sold them a week or so ago. The area I ride is a minefield of broken glass and debris. I do not ride without good flat protection, so the tires will have to be replaced.

Here's the email I sent and the manufacturers response.

Jack, I got the bike this evening. I was only able to take it for a quick spin. I think I am going to be really happy with it. I do have a question. When did the wheel spec change from Mavik Aksium and Gatorskins to Shimano RS 11 and Conti Ultra Sports? When I ordered the website still showed Aksium/Gatorskin as the spec.

Paul

Paul,

Thank you for letting me know you got your new bike. We just updated the website, when we had another custom ask about the specs on the bike that were not correct on the new website.

Thanks again for your order and understanding.
Sorry, that is a weak letter. I suspect the people from whom you bought the bike will simply file and forget. Rightly so in my view: you shouldn't use threads in bike forums to try and gain leverage. If there's a problem, you should go straight back to the shop with the bike and point out why you are unhappy, not try and gain support and sympathy on an anonymous forum.
Old 10-01-18, 09:47 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Both cheap and heavy wheelset, with Shimano maybe being 30 grams lighter.
Shimano freehub is better. Mavic freehub will bite the dust.
Search the internet....... many kicking S vs M on this subject.

Last edited by trailangel; 10-01-18 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-01-18, 11:17 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Sorry, that is a weak letter. I suspect the people from whom you bought the bike will simply file and forget. Rightly so in my view: you shouldn't use threads in bike forums to try and gain leverage. If there's a problem, you should go straight back to the shop with the bike and point out why you are unhappy, not try and gain support and sympathy on an anonymous forum.
One thing I have learned in my 55 years of life is that my first impressions or read isn't always the best. I have learned that there is value to measuring my thoughts against those of other reasonable people. That's why I asked for the thoughts of the community here. I don't intend to even point out the manufacturer in this thread. At this point there is no advantage to doing so. To that end, If I chose to point the manufacturer to this thread it wouldn't be in the name of leverage, but only to show them what other reasonable people think. I ordered directly through the manufacturer not a store.

Here's where I stand. By my best research, Aksiums sell for about $20 more per set when priced at the same vendor. The Gatorskin tire set for $30 more. From a price standpoint I lost about $50 in the transaction. Honestly $50 isn't that important to me. While I prefer Aksiums because I have had great results with them, I am not married to them over the RS11s. A good number of reasonable people have told me that the RS11s are as good or better with performance and or reliability. I will not ride the Ultra Sports on my usual rides. I hate flats. They suck the fun out of a ride. I have to say this too. I am disappointed that the manufacturer knew about the spec change and made no effort to advise me.

Does this sound reasonable? Asking the manufacturer to ship me a pair of Gatorskins. If not, I have to spend an extra $70 bucks or so to get them. Couple that with the $50 loss I suffered with the spec change, and now I am $120 in the hole.

Thanks again for your time and thoughtful feedback.
Old 10-01-18, 11:31 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'd rather have the Ultra Sports than Gatorskins, but that's just personal preference. The wheels, I couldn't say. I've read that the RS11's are pretty decent.

Oh, full disclosure, when Bikes Direct sent me the wrong fixed gear bike, I didn't particular care ...
Old 10-01-18, 11:47 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 473 Posts

Does this sound reasonable? Asking the manufacturer to ship me a pair of Gatorskins. If not, I have to spend an extra $70 bucks or so to get them. Couple that with the $50 loss I suffered with the spec change, and now I am $120 in the hole.

Thanks again for your time and thoughtful feedback.
I'd press the issue on the gatorskins, since you have a real need for them. Honestly I'd take it up with your credit card, dispute the transaction. It sounds super shady to just say, "oh thanks our website was wrong". I suspect they do not have anymore gatorskins or Aksiums in stock, so I'd insist on a refund that made up the difference. Good luck and hope to see pictures soon!
Old 10-01-18, 12:37 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I'd press the issue on the gatorskins, since you have a real need for them. Honestly I'd take it up with your credit card, dispute the transaction. It sounds super shady to just say, "oh thanks our website was wrong". I suspect they do not have anymore gatorskins or Aksiums in stock, so I'd insist on a refund that made up the difference. Good luck and hope to see pictures soon!
That's probably what I will do. I will give them an opportunity to make good.
Old 10-01-18, 12:46 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Seller is being evasive with their email response. Try to pry a set of gatorskins out of them. Give them a chance to do that; if they resist, dispute the charge and file a complaint with the BBB.
Old 10-01-18, 01:14 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
No anonydrama until 100th pos, plz.
Old 10-01-18, 01:37 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

Did I miss where you referenced that this is a guessing game?
A 3 minute Google search would have answered the questions in your OP and it appears in your own words that you are going to reveal the manufacturer. Who cares and why the drama?

It's his thread. Not yours.

It took you 3 minutes to post to his thread and you added nothing to it.

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 10-01-18 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-01-18, 01:46 PM
BaLs
Beginner Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. I happen to be a big fan of both Aksiums and Gatorskins for where I do most of my riding. I put several thousand miles on a set on the horrible streets of New Orleans and they were still perfectly true when I sold them a week or so ago. The area I ride is a minefield of broken glass and debris. I do not ride without good flat protection, so the tires will have to be replaced.

Here's the email I sent and the manufacturers response.

Jack, I got the bike this evening. I was only able to take it for a quick spin. I think I am going to be really happy with it. I do have a question. When did the wheel spec change from Mavik Aksium and Gatorskins to Shimano RS 11 and Conti Ultra Sports? When I ordered the website still showed Aksium/Gatorskin as the spec.

Paul

Paul,

Thank you for letting me know you got your new bike. We just updated the website, when we had another custom ask about the specs on the bike that were not correct on the new website.

Thanks again for your order and understanding.

Let them know you are disappointed and they should honor the specs they stated on their website at the time you ordered it.
If they didn't update it on time it is their fault. You ordered the bike based on those specs and expect those exact specs.

They should honor it or refund you the differences in price.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 10-01-18, 02:23 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Your comments to the suppliers gave no hint of the unhappiness you felt, and the need to post here, rather than contacting them directly with your complaints. There was no need to involve a third party, as in this site. Personally, I'd have called them. Amicable one-to-one contact often works best.
Old 10-01-18, 02:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Having ridden in New Orleans, yeah, you need the Gatorskins, plus the name sounds kind of native to the area. They should make good on the tires.
Old 10-01-18, 02:58 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by avole
Your comments to the suppliers gave no hint of the unhappiness you felt,.
That was by design as well. While I was about 99% sure when I placed the order the specs were Aksium/Gatorskin I also wanted to allow that I may have last looked at the specs a day or two prior to my order. I am also the type that if something doesn't sit well with me I give it a little time. In approaching them the way i did, I allowed that I may not have looked at the specs immediately prior to ordering and it gave them a chance to tell me what happened. Now that I am fully aware, and I have bounced my thoughts off of other reasonable bicyclists, I will make contact with them again.
Old 10-01-18, 03:16 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Here is the email I just sent.

Jack, I wanted to give myself a little time to think about your reply before I responded. As crazy as this may sound, the Aksiums and the Gatorskins were a big part of why I ordered the bike. I live and ride in New Orleans. Our streets are horrible. The potholes and debris take a toll on all but the toughest equipment. I am a bike junkie. In order to make room for the Litespeed in my garage I sold another bike. That bike had Aksiums with some 5000 or so miles on them. They were as true as the day I bought them.

Since our last contact I did a little research on the Shimano wheels. While the retail on them is lower than it is on the Aksiums, they are by all accounts good all around wheels...even if they do have that hideous blurple decal on them. I will live with them. I will not ride any tires that don't provide the highest level of flat protection. That leaves me two options. Go out and spend $60-80 on the tires I need or ask you to make good on the spec that was posted on your website. Do you think it is reasonable for me to ask you to ship me the Gatorskins?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-01-18, 07:40 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
It's his thread. Not yours.

It took you 3 minutes to post to his thread and you added nothing to it.
It’s on a public forum. That makes it everyone’s thread.
You seem concerned about adding content to the thread yet you added nothing.
Good stuff
Old 10-01-18, 07:43 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
That was by design as well. While I was about 99% sure when I placed the order the specs were Aksium/Gatorskin I also wanted to allow that I may have last looked at the specs a day or two prior to my order. I am also the type that if something doesn't sit well with me I give it a little time. In approaching them the way i did, I allowed that I may not have looked at the specs immediately prior to ordering and it gave them a chance to tell me what happened. Now that I am fully aware, and I have bounced my thoughts off of other reasonable bicyclists, I will make contact with them again.
Referring to BF members(myself included)as ‘reasonable bicyclists’ is without question the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. Thanks!
Old 10-02-18, 10:49 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
If you all can't get along I'm turning this thread around and taking us all home.
Old 10-02-18, 01:57 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
I have had the old Aksiums and the S10 wheels and both are kind of low end. Neither one held up for more than a week. Busted spokes in the rear wheel, both brands. Sitting in my workshop now waiting for someone to come along and make an offer on the rear wheels. I weigh 230 pounds and they simply don't handle the weight. For what it is worth, I also have an S11 rear wheel sitting in the shop. Was on a female friends bike, and it, too, has a busted spoke. About 5000 miles on it. Not sold on the high tension, low spoke count wheels.
F
Old 10-04-18, 07:19 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

They are going to send me a set of Gatorskins.
Old 10-06-18, 11:29 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts