Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

160mm center lock disc brake suggestions for a kid’s bike

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-24-18, 07:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts

These are going on a 26” small frame I am building up for my oldest. She wont use it past probably 100# or so as she will outgrow it before that. Itll then be passed on to her sister in a few years.
Riding is forest single track only. No bombing down mountains as they don’t exist here.

I could name off everything great and terrible about dozens upon dozens of caliper and canti brakes, but disc brakes are a mystery. There are just so many different versions, even within a single company’s lineup. And then the rotors…good lord there are so many.

Ideally, ill buy everything for about $75. Levers, rotors, brakes, hoses.

Any suggestions? I figured I would just get cable disc since she is light and I want minimal maintenance over the coming years, but single pivot mechanical seems dumb to buy due to the design and also because there are tons of hydraulic options for the same price or only a few dollars more. No idea if those hydraulic options at that price range($50-75 for everything) are total junk or what.
Shimano M355 brakes with Avid G3 rotors at $57 for example.

This is needed to stop a kid who will wooded trails with short/quick descents. No need for overkill, but no need for junk.

Specific suggestions?
Old 10-24-18, 09:22 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Shimano hydraulic is the best option, regardless of price point. Even the lowest level Shimano Hydraulic brakes are better than any other disc brake I've ever used.
Old 10-25-18, 02:08 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Good on you for doing a frame up build w/your daughter. That's a great way to spend time w/your kids.

At your price point, I like the Shimano M396 from Jenson USA at $33 each, excluding rotors. You might find better pricing on eBay.

I also like Tektro's entry level brakes. Both Tektro and Shimano use mineral oil, which is less worrisome than DOT fluid for messy bleeders like myself.