Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Best Chainring clearance bike or frame

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 11:09 AM
hoovbikes

Bikes: 2017 GT Grade Carbon Sram Force, 2014 Globe Roll 8 (w riser bars), 2015 All City Space Horse (cantilever)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy folks,

I'm in the market for a new all-rounder hardtail, something trail friendly, XC capable, and quick and agile for light jumps and general maneuverability. Something I can bash around a little more than my current gravel bike hence why I'm looking MTB. Also would like to be able to ride this thing around town tho (ie the flatter areas) which is why I'm searching for what I guess would be considered larger than standard chainring options for speed in those areas (I'm used to riding more road/gravel bikes and don't want to give up ability for speed as much as I can help it, tho I know giving up some is inevitable).

A few bikes I've had in mind so far include but are not limited to the Santa Cruz Chameleon, Surly Karate Monkey, Marin Nail Trail or San Quentin. I was damn near sold on the Karate Monkey actually, but it seems none of these offer much more clearance than the standard 30 or 32t. Anybody know of any frames or bikes in this rough category that could accommodate a slightly larger front ring? I'm not looking for anything insane like a road crank, but maybe a 36,38, or even a 40t accommodation? Also of note, I am a fan of the 1x movement, and would prefer to stay with that set up if I can help it. Also also of note, I'm wanting to make this somewhat of a budget buy and really would prefer to stay a few hundo below 2k if I can help it.

Thanks in advance!