It is raining

Old 11-29-18, 10:52 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
It is raining

I guess I will just wait until tomorrow to ride again. Does anyone actually venture out in the wet for non-commuting purposes?
Old 11-29-18, 12:22 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Yep, rain today makes me glad I got out to ride the last 5 days in a row! I hate taking my "nice" bike out in the muck and I usually resort to my old Hybrid if I really need to ride in the wet. Someday I'll put full fenders on the backup bike, but since it only rains about 2x a year here I'm not overly motivated to do that.
Old 11-29-18, 01:37 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 48 Posts
My trees and shrubs are so happy today. We need rain like this more often.
Old 11-29-18, 01:42 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
My trees and shrubs are so happy today. We need rain like this more often.
Mine too. My two dogs, however, are not. They are too “dignified” to do their business in a wet and soggy backyard.

I won’t actually go out for a ride if there is significant rain. The last time I went out for a ride when it was raining, I crashed my bike against a guardrail on PCH, by the Mugu Rock, and broke a finger.

The bike, however, was OK.
Old 11-29-18, 02:02 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
if it's on a day off (so i can clean the bike immediately afterwards) and it's a spring, summer or fall rain where it's semi-warmish, i'm down.
Old 11-29-18, 02:08 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
When I lived in San Diego I skipped the rainy days for two reasons: The main one was that rain brings out all the grease on the roads, so everything is slippery. Also, connected to that, people forget how to drive when it’s wet! The accident rate goes way up, and I wanted no part of it.

It did not hurt that it would be sunny again in a day or so.
Old 11-29-18, 02:44 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
I guess I will just wait until tomorrow to ride again. Does anyone actually venture out in the wet for non-commuting purposes?
Here in Oregon, if you don't ride in the rain you don't ride. Course it's easier if it isn't raining when you head out.
Old 11-29-18, 05:55 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
I've considered getting some full fenders for my hybrid but I've never brought myself to pull the trigger. I'll sit there thinking "Am I really going to go and ride in the rain?" and the answer is always "No". I'll ride before and after but I'm not in any hurry to get caught in, or ride in the rain.
Old 11-29-18, 08:03 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The rain doesn't bother me.

Los Angeles drivers in the rain, however, does bother me. I'll wait until tomorrow.
Old 11-29-18, 08:09 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Weather report said today would be almost 20 hours of non-stop rain, totaling 1.15". It's been raining for 15 hours (almost constantly, it took a few little breaks) and we've gotten 0.86".

We return to partly-cloudy by 7am tomorrow morning, so I saw no need to go out and brave it when I can just wait it out. I ordinarily rest on Fridays, this week I rested on Thursday.

Worst part, I was convinced that tomorrow was the 1st. Had my route to go do my Strava Fondo challenge for December, then realized tomorrow is the 30th. So 20 miles at a leisurely pace it is, then!
Old 11-29-18, 09:45 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Aubergine
When I lived in San Diego I skipped the rainy days for two reasons: The main one was that rain brings out all the grease on the roads, so everything is slippery. Also, connected to that, people forget how to drive when it’s wet! The accident rate goes way up, and I wanted no part of it.

It did not hurt that it would be sunny again in a day or so.
That reminds me of the old line, “what’s the easiest job in the world? Weatherman in San Diego.”

Enjoy the sunshine.
Old 11-30-18, 04:11 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by tinrobot
The rain doesn't bother me.

Los Angeles drivers in the rain, however, does bother me. I'll wait until tomorrow.
Cycling in the wet is exponentially more dangerous than when its dry.

The only save way to safely commute in the rain is to slow to an almost crawl, which would make it not worth the effort.
Old 11-30-18, 10:27 AM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been known to head out in the rain for a ride. I don't like getting the bikes totally trashed but at times it can be very exhilarating! Nice clean fresh air.

I've also headed out in the rain at night. At times I will take my MTB out just to be a bit more stable.

Even headed up GMR (to the shack) on a rainy forecast day looking for something different using the MTB. No rain, just some snow and hail!
Old 11-30-18, 10:50 AM
KraneXL

I know the feeling. The rain on your face makes you feel one with nature. In fact, call me crazy but I used to love going out for adventure walks during thunderstorms and tropical storms. But I generally got caught in the rain. Now knowing the inherent dangers of riding in foul weather I wouldn't intentionally go out riding in the rain.
Old 11-30-18, 10:53 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by csrpenfab
Yep, rain today makes me glad I got out to ride the last 5 days in a row! I hate taking my "nice" bike out in the muck and I usually resort to my old Hybrid if I really need to ride in the wet. Someday I'll put full fenders on the backup bike, but since it only rains about 2x a year here I'm not overly motivated to do that.
Nice bike or beater bike, not gonna happen going out if raining and HATE when I'm out and get caught. There is an exception though, if I paid $$$ for a ride then I'll take Old Blue, 1983 Paramount.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Weather report said today would be almost 20 hours of non-stop rain, totaling 1.15". It's been raining for 15 hours (almost constantly, it took a few little breaks) and we've gotten 0.86"............
1.15" in 20 hours is a mist. 1" in 10 minutes is a Florida Liquid Sunshine common occurrence during rainy season.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Cycling in the wet is exponentially more dangerous than when its dry..............
More important than safety is keeping the bike as clean as possible during the ride. Makes clean-up after much-MUCH easier.
Old 11-30-18, 11:12 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Nice bike or beater bike, not gonna happen going out if raining and HATE when I'm out and get caught. There is an exception though, if I paid $$$ for a ride then I'll take Old Blue, 1983 Paramount.

1.15" in 20 hours is a mist. 1" in 10 minutes is a Florida Liquid Sunshine common occurrence during rainy season.

More important than safety is keeping the bike as clean as possible during the ride. Makes clean-up after much-MUCH easier.
The typical native Californian's interpretation of rain is quite amusing isn't it?
Old 11-30-18, 11:26 AM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know the feeling. The rain on your face makes you feel one with nature. In fact, call me crazy but I used to love going out for adventure walks during thunderstorms and tropical storms. But I generally got caught in the rain. Now knowing the inherent dangers of riding in foul weather I wouldn't intentionally go out riding in the rain.

I ride local foothill roads with low traffic at night with rain just for something different.

I also did a 42 mile ride on the Santa Ana River Trail in POURING rain. Very nice but I took the MTB. The rooster tail soaked me more than the rain itself. Had to stop halfway to wring out my windbreaker and tights. Nice fun ride but 25 is more like it in pouring rain.

Refreshing!

Old 11-30-18, 02:14 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
Here in Oregon, if you don't ride in the rain you don't ride. Course it's easier if it isn't raining when you head out.
So what are you doing lurking in the Southern California forum?

The typical native Californian's interpretation of rain is quite amusing isn't it?
That was the my reason for my thread. OMG! It's raining! What do we do?!?

I took the day off and did some "strength" training. Back at it this morning.
Old 11-30-18, 09:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Yeah, but you have to consider that we average about 14" of rain per year. So we got ~7% of our annual rainfall in 20 hours.

But the day right after the rain is probably the best day. Everything looks better. Everywhere rides better.

Old 12-01-18, 06:18 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
That reminds me of the old line, “what’s the easiest job in the world? Weatherman in San Diego.”
Visited San Diego many times long ago. I was convinced the weather forecasts were merely recorded loops. "Sunny up on the mesas, fog will clear in Fashion Valley by 10:00 A.M."
Old 12-01-18, 08:30 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Visited San Diego many times long ago. I was convinced the weather forecasts were merely recorded loops. "Sunny up on the mesas, fog will clear in Fashion Valley by 10:00 A.M."
It might as well be on a loop.

Great places to ride in and around San Diego.