Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

On being SEEN - NOTICED- LOOK!

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-01-19, 11:22 AM
yeahok

Bikes: Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In recent years, there has been an increase in pedestrian fatalities... It is preventable... Folks wear dark clothes and wander onto the road and get hit. They presume if they can see a car, the car can see them. When ever this happens it prompts who was legal and who wasn't banter... which is like beating a dead horse.

Anyone who bikes has had a close call-

What have you personally done to be seen on the road.

I noticed some bikes when sold do not come with reflectors. I have added a number of reflectors to my bike. At times I use a light. Somehow I dont think it is enough.

Adding reflectors is an easy way to be seen abit more.

This is serious. Even if one is legally correct, the laws of physics can kill- so - have you taken measures to be seen?
Old 07-01-19, 11:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
legal reflectors, hi-viz clothing, incl. helmet & strobes front & rear
Old 07-01-19, 11:59 AM
yeahok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
legal reflectors, hi-viz clothing, incl. helmet & strobes front & rear
I had not considered the strobes yet.
Old 07-01-19, 12:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by yeahok
I had not considered the strobes yet.
I'm not a fan, as a driver or a rider. The strobing just makes it harder to judge the bike's speed, location and direction. A slower blink rate has the same effect of attracting attention, but doesn't have the disorienting effect.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-01-19, 12:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Reflectors don't do much during the day.
I'm a fan of lights at night, and don't use bike reflectors.

However, retroreflectorized clothing may well help, and is much larger than those puny bike reflectors. Perhaps look at occupational safety shops. Safety vests, and high-vis shirts with reflector stripes.
Old 07-01-19, 12:30 PM
yeahok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm not a fan, as a driver or a rider. The strobing just makes it harder to judge the bike's speed, location and direction. A slower blink rate has the same effect of attracting attention, but doesn't have the disorienting effect.
I sort of dont like the strobe light idea. BUT- I am open to ideas
Old 07-01-19, 12:31 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I'm not a fan, as a driver or a rider. The strobing just makes it harder to judge the bike's speed, location and direction.
Research supports this. While the intensity of a blinking light is perceived to be higher by observers so it is true that they are more conspicuous, but at a cost. Solid lights allowed for observers to better judge the important stuff. If you want a motorist to know that you are somewhere in their sight line, then strobe. If you want a motorist to know where you are as well as your travel vector, consider running solid lights. Improve on this by running 2 or more lights with some spread between them.
Old 07-01-19, 12:32 PM
yeahok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CK, a red reflector on back spokes, yellow on front- is better than none what so ever on the bike, in my humble opinion.
Old 07-01-19, 12:46 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Research supports this. While the intensity of a blinking light is perceived to be higher by observers so it is true that they are more conspicuous, but at a cost. Solid lights allowed for observers to better judge the important stuff. If you want a motorist to know that you are somewhere in their sight line, then strobe. If you want a motorist to know where you are as well as your travel vector, consider running solid lights. Improve on this by running 2 or more lights with some spread between them.
"Research supports this" but that research might not be relevant to the use being discussed.

The general case is where a vehicle is coming up to a cyclist from behind. The "travel vector" in that case is pretty-much a stationary object in front of them.

The idea of flashing lights is to be noticeable (conspicuous) from a longer distance. Flashing lights are much more noticeable than solid lights of similar size and power).

If the motorist can recognize the object as a cyclist, they can make reasonable estimates of speed and direction.

By the time they need to pass, the headlights should be letting the motorists deal with "travel vectors".

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-01-19 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 12:53 PM
njkayaker

I sort of dont like the strobe light idea. BUT- I am open to ideas
Flashing lights are more noticeable (conspicuous) from a much longer distance. The longer time you give a motorist to notice you, the better. From a distance, solid lights can be confused with other things.

Reflective clothing helps relatively-close up (in the wash of headlights) where a light doesn't really do much (because the car is too close).

CK, a red reflector on back spokes, yellow on front- is better than none what so ever on the bike, in my humble opinion.
That's sort of obvious, isn't it?

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-01-19 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 12:59 PM
njkayaker

At long distance, flashing lights can be noticed at a much farther distance. When coming up from behind, the cyclist is, effectively, a stationary object. The same light not flashing wouldn't really provide any more information.

The first goal is to be conspicuous at a longer distance.

If the object is crossing, a slower blink rate makes determining speed and direction harder.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-01-19 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 01:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Single best thing you can wear - a light attached to your leg. Nothing else goes up and down. Nothing. It attracts real attention. I used just the rather miserable French Wonderlights and a reflecting vest for years and had very few issues with cars. I no longer do because I have had so many crash injuries, am skinny and have been wearing those lights banging against my leg on fix gear descents so long that I can no longer wear much on my legs comfortably but if the right solution comes along, I'll get back on board. (One of the issues with super bright strobes and the like is pissing motorists off. I for one as a driver do not like lights so bright I lose any semblance of night vision.)
Old 07-01-19, 01:04 PM
CliffordK

A spoke reflector... maybe. Many of the headlights/taillights seem to forget side visibility.

Brands of tires that come with reflectors are also quite noticeable... I don't understand why reflector strips aren't standard on all tires, or at least all commuter/training tires.

A few weeks ago I noticed a bike with spoke lights, but I don't believe front or rear lights. Nonetheless, it had quite good 360° visibility.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-01-19, 01:19 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Single best thing you can wear - a light attached to your leg. Nothing else goes up and down. Nothing. It attracts real attention. I used just the rather miserable French Wonderlights and a reflecting vest for years and had very few issues with cars. I no longer do because I have had so many crash injuries, am skinny and have been wearing those lights banging against my leg on fix gear descents so long that I can no longer wear much on my legs comfortably but if the right solution comes along, I'll get back on board. (One of the issues with super bright strobes and the like is pissing motorists off. I for one as a driver do not like lights so bright I lose any semblance of night vision.)
I've used these NightRunner lights off and on. Rechargeable. Easy to use. I've gotten a lot of comments about them.

https://www.nighttechgear.com/

Unfortunately they don't cover the rear very well.

For rear lighting, there are the spur lights (I bought a Chinese clone with USB charging).

https://www.nathansports.com/product...led-foot-light

The problems with the spurs is that they require shoes with heels. And, inevitably my bike shoes have inadequate heels, so I've been reluctant to use them on the shoes. They do clip onto the ankles reasonably well, but are uncomfortable.

These strap lights might be worth trying.

https://www.rei.com/product/769617/p...bike-brt-strap

I haven't used them. But, I had a "Chinese" direct version a while ago that only lasted for a couple of months before disintegrating.

Those Planet Bike/REI lights appear to have replaceable batteries, not USB. Whew, batteries are my Achilles heal.

In general, for leg lights, I never use them on flash mode. My belief is that movement is adequate to make them visible.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-01-19, 01:22 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
I will eat a delicate bodypart raw and without hot sauce if it is proven that the first poster to mention strobes was not referring to the common bicycle flasher (Strobus rectificus) by its Latin binomial. No commonly available cycling head or tail lights 'strobe', they 'flash', and they flash at rates accepted by medical experts to be minimally affecting of epileptic individuals. Get over it. Epilepsy as a reason for not flashing is a ship that has sailed. Your ticket is non-refundable. May as well use the thing. It may even save your life someday. But probably not. Wanna know what is even better for safety than decking yourself out like a First Responder? Spatial Awareness. I know you've heard of it. It's a thing. And a useful thing at that.
Old 07-01-19, 01:45 PM
yeahok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Flashing lights are more noticeable (conspicuous) from a much longer distance. The longer time you give a motorist to notice you, the better. From a distance, solid lights can be confused with other things.

Reflective clothing helps relatively-close up (in the wash of headlights) where a light doesn't really do much (because the car is too close).

That's sort of obvious, isn't it?
Per haps- but manufacturers dont bother to include reflectors anymore.
Old 07-01-19, 01:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

"Research supports this" but that research might not be relevant to the use being discussed.

The general case is where a vehicle is coming up to a cyclist from behind. The "travel vector" in that case is pretty-much a stationary object in front of them.

The idea of flashing lights is to be noticeable (conspicuous) from a longer distance. Flashing lights are much more noticeable than solid lights of similar size and power).

If the motorist can recognize the object as a cyclist, they can make reasonable estimates of speed and direction.

By the time they need to pass, the headlights should be letting the motorists deal with "travel vectors".
Why is it car coming from behind? Rear lights are red, usually by law.
Research doesn't support flashing RED lights being more visible. Not sure why, and it seems counter-intuitive.
Old 07-01-19, 01:52 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Mirrors (so I can see): one on the end of the handlebar plus one on the helmet.

Reflectors: one big one over the fork bridge, a smaller one on the handlebars, and two red ones on the back of the seatpost. Two on each pedal. I should reinstall the two that came on the spokes.

Lighting: headlight on the handlebars that I run flashing during the day and solid to see with at night. I'm getting ready to upgrade my headlight and use the one I have now for flashing only. A red one that I run flashing on the back of my seatpost. On my helmet, two flashlights mounted side-by-side on top; these I run at low power as spot lights to shine where I'm looking, and being side-by-side gives me a nice wide binocular region.

Clothing: a reflective vest that goes over my shirt or rain shell. (I bought one vest then found four over time along the highway, probably blown out of work trucks. I think I have enough now to make a reflective pack cover.) On each ankle, a wrap-around band.

When I decide on a rack, I'll put a reflector and a flashing red on the back and a solid wide-angle red on each side, and maybe some reflective strips to. I can't bring myself to put adhesive strips on the frame.

I think tires with a reflective stripe are a great idea, but I can't bring myself to do that yet either. Vanity/aesthetics. But if I were commuting instead of riding for health and fitness then I definitely would.

I hope that helps.
Old 07-01-19, 01:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

At long distance, flashing lights can be noticed at a much farther distance. When coming up from behind, the cyclist is, effectively, a stationary object. The same light not flashing wouldn't really provide any more information.

The first goal is to be conspicuous at a longer distance.

If the object is crossing, a slower blink rate makes determining speed and direction harder.
The bright flashing lights that can be seen at a distance are white, and in the front of the bike. Red lights just aren't that visible at distance. This is a question of head-to-head visibility.

The studies supporting the use of strobes on the roads really concern snow plows--there is nothing that indicates they make bike riding safer.
Old 07-01-19, 02:00 PM
njkayaker

Why is it car coming from behind? Rear lights are red, usually by law.
???

Cars coming up from behind cyclists is common, isn't it?

Research doesn't support flashing RED lights being more visible. Not sure why, and it seems counter-intuitive.
What "research"? Flashing red lights are common on aerials, towers, airplanes. All sorts of things.

The bright flashing lights that can be seen at a distance are white, and in the front of the bike.
Not just those.

Red lights just aren't that visible at distance. This is a question of head-to-head visibility.
??? "head to head"?? Compared to white lights?

You can't legally use white lights in the rear so flashing white lights being "better" is irrelevant.

There are ample examples of flashing red lights being used as long distance markers.

The studies supporting the use of strobes on the roads really concern snow plows--there is nothing that indicates they make bike riding safer.
There are actually few studies that show anything "makes biking safer". The data for that is lacking.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-01-19 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-01-19, 02:03 PM
Kevin R

Bikes: Raleigh Militis 3 Custom Build

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I use Bontrager Ion Pro at the front and Flare RT at the rear both can strobe and have a claimed visibility from 2 Km out. I bought these for daylight riding visibility.

They claim they worked with university researchers when developing these lights to maximize visibility; and you can check out the GCN review .
Likes For Kevin R:
Old 07-01-19, 02:08 PM
njkayaker

In the US, bicycles are required to be sold with reflectors.

=================

Keep in mind that reflectors work only with headlights.

A light (especially flashing) will be noticeable from a longer distance and doesn't rely on headlights.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-01-19 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 02:11 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
In the US, bicycles are required to be sold with reflectors.
The law in my state requires you to use them, at least one front and one rear.
Old 07-01-19, 02:53 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Front and rear reflectors are required for new bicycles sold in the U.S.A. by law. except for track bicycles. https://www.cpsc.gov/Business--Manuf...e-Requirements
Old 07-01-19, 02:56 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
???

What "research"? Flashing red lights are common on aerials, towers, airplanes. All sorts of things.
Kudos. You were very patient with him. More so than I would have been. Why are some cyclists so contrary? I mean ... even if I read somewhere that red flashers blah, blah ... criminy, I go out at night! I've been in cars at night! I SEE for myself that red flashers trump anything else that is lit at night except another red flasher. Or a white flasher. Bottom line: flashing gets more attention than solid. Its not debatable. And, I could be wrong about it but I think Oregon requires f/r flashers to be legal, so regardless of how effective or not one thinks they are, it's a moot point. And red it better be if its the rear one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.