Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ask your wife, girlfriend, mother

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ask your wife, girlfriend, mother

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 01:11 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I recall the 1st season that my cycling club was able to order team kit in the "new" synthetic materials after years of wearing woolens.
No longer dowdy the new kit was far more functional/comfortable and easy to care-for but it was also finally colorful and Fun to wear.

Fun, remember Fun? Maybe not.
Apparently riding a bike is a grim, joyless Sisyphean task best accomplished in the most drab unremarkable garb possible for some.
As Sponge Bob Square Pants once said:

"Well, good luck with that!"

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 07-01-19, 01:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Sisyphean task
Wonder how many people you are going to cause to Google that one.
Old 07-01-19, 01:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Know what? I went out for a ride today with a bunch of my friends and it was so much fun. I had to bail about 3/4 into the outbound portion of the ride because I am a month behind them in conditioning due to having to move a month ago. Cycling with your good friends is so much fun. We wear bright colours to be visible to following motorists. I have very few dark garments in my extensive wardrobe because of this. Cyclists want to be noticed, not because they are extroverts, but because they have a strong survival instinct.
Old 07-01-19, 02:03 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by indyfabz
No google, rolling a rock up a hill only to be crushed when it rolled back over you. I did google it, only to confirm what I already knew, at 69 I often have had my memory play tricks on me, so I had to check. I don't care that I may look like a clown to drivers as long as they see me. I want to live to see my 70th birthday, and many more
Old 07-01-19, 02:07 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Only those people who are coming out of a deficient public school system would have to Google that.
Old 07-01-19, 02:12 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Only those people who are coming out of a deficient public school system would have to Google that.
And we all know those are a rarity.

I went to public school for three years. It was fun.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-01-19, 02:13 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I did google it, only to confirm what I already knew
Riiiiiight!
Old 07-01-19, 02:17 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
So, I asked my girlfriend and her specific request was for for tighter clothing that left less room for her imagination. She specifically wanted me to wear red shorts as in that famous photo of the Polish cycling team
Ewww. Poor things look so humiliated.

Last edited by BillyD; 07-03-19 at 06:18 AM. Reason: cleanup
Old 07-01-19, 02:21 PM
alcjphil

Riiiiiight!
AND what does that mean? If I had not included that that I had confirmed my knowledge would my answer have been more useful? I had heard of this legend, the fact that I checked myself seems to be fodder for doubtful respondents. Sad
Old 07-01-19, 02:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I'd like to think most of us can tell the difference between Sisyphus and Cookie Puss.
Old 07-01-19, 02:29 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Although I do get a chuckle from the colideiscope of blinky lites, neon and fur.
Try Googling that one....
Old 07-01-19, 02:30 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by livedarklions
This post reminds me of the Stygian Stables.
Heracles cleaned them out in a single night
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-01-19, 02:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Heracles cleaned them out in a single night
They belonged to Augie Doggie as I recall.
Old 07-01-19, 02:33 PM
eja_ bottecchia

And we all know those are a rarity.

I went to public school for three years. It was fun.
There is nothing wrong with public schools.

What is wrong is a school system that neglects teaching the classics in favor of other subjects.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 07-01-19, 02:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
In the South we have "Christian Academies." They trump the most deficient public schools.
Old 07-01-19, 02:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Ha, because Greek Mythology is such a vital part of a healthy public school system, right? Ha ha, thats rich.
Should we teach STEM, STEAM, or STREAM- nah, lets boot some of this and instead ensure every kid is aware of obscure Greek Mythology. Thatll give them a leg up in life!

Whats ironic is that the PK-8 public school my kids attend does focus on Mythology for one 1 out of every 3 years(kids are in the same classroom for 3 years) and I would be shocked if they covered Sisyphus.

There is simply no reason to teach Greek Mythology in any extensive level to all students. That isnt beneficial. It does have its place though- a high school literature elective focusing on Greek Mythology. Let the 1 class of kids in an entire high school interested in the subject nerd out and get their fix. Thats fantastic. Others can instead focus on poetry, or creative writing, or Billy S, or modern fiction, etc.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-01-19, 03:01 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
For the same reason you wear different clothes when you exercise in other ways- run, swim, play basketball, play tennis, etc etc etc.
No, it isnt necessary to wear different clothes just to ride a bike, but for anything besides commuting/errand running, its often nice to wear athletic/cycle specific clothing for very obvious reasons. And even many commuters will wear different clothing due to the distance/weather they ride in.

Of course you know this and are being obtuse to create discussion and advertise you are different. Thats cool- it worked here by me pointing out the obvious for you. Congrats on asking for the obvious to be explained to you- hope it was satisfying.
I'm not different - i'm the vast majority.
Old 07-01-19, 03:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by TimothyH
The OP forgot to mention tattoos.

I guess it is a function of the broader society and the modern notion that every thought and feeling needs to be expressed. "Self expression" is equated with genius.

Writing letters has become email has become texting has become twitter. We are now to the point where few know how to have an actual conversation but most personal interaction is just a series of competing "I" statements. Photography has become selfies. The focus is on now on self - what I think and want, my rights and feelings are the most important. Everything is an "Experience."

Anyway, long hair on a woman isn't fur and neon serves a purpose if it keeps us alive in traffic. I doubt anyone uses blinky lights as a fashion statement.

-Tim-
I got Gorilla-squatch because its how I feel on a bike at times, due to my height/size. That and because Ive been called 'Sasquatch' by my brother in law since I was a teen. Its something I enjoy and find humorous.
Up til now, I didnt realize that such an expression is equated to being a genius. Interesting. Baseless, but interesting.

I dont actually disagree with your overall point- I get frustrated with the inability to hold good conversations with some around me due to their social awkwardness, I dont use Twitter since I view that as a breeding ground for the dredges of society, and have even less interest in other social media.

It is a bit ironic to complain about this stuff though when you are well known for wanting to 'look good' in group rides, take pictures of your bike and the surroundings during 'experience' rides in the NGA mountains, and post frequently on a message board which is simply a communication variant of email/twitter/in person conversations.
Im not calling you anything bad here, I do it too- get annoyed with social media and all the focus on the 'self', but then post something about...myself. To the irony going, here is a pic-

Old 07-01-19, 03:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
I'm not different - i'm the vast majority.
You are different in the context of this thread though, which is clearly about cycling as an athletic activity/exercise. Again, I suspect you know this, but are continuing to be obtuse.
Old 07-01-19, 03:34 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Ha, because Greek Mythology is such a vital part of a healthy public school system, right? Ha ha, thats rich.
Should we teach STEM, STEAM, or STREAM- nah, lets boot some of this and instead ensure every kid is aware of obscure Greek Mythology. Thatll give them a leg up in life!

Whats ironic is that the PK-8 public school my kids attend does focus on Mythology for one 1 out of every 3 years(kids are in the same classroom for 3 years) and I would be shocked if they covered Sisyphus.

There is simply no reason to teach Greek Mythology in any extensive level to all students. That isnt beneficial. It does have its place though- a high school literature elective focusing on Greek Mythology. Let the 1 class of kids in an entire high school interested in the subject nerd out and get their fix. Thats fantastic. Others can instead focus on poetry, or creative writing, or Billy S, or modern fiction, etc.
You are wrong about that, a full and comprehensive education includes all the classics.

But you are entitled to your opinion.
Old 07-01-19, 03:49 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
No Bin Laden beard here, but if people want to emulate him, it's certainly none of my business.
Old 07-01-19, 03:51 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by trailangel
I will wear neon pink and green, but will grow a beard to let the whole world know I am not a clown, but a man.
Everyone knows you aren't a real man until you can braid dreadlocks into your nipple hair.
Old 07-01-19, 04:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
No Bin Laden beard here, but if people want to emulate him, it's certainly none of my business.
Let's not compare the beards to ones Jesus, da Vinci, or Galileo had. Nah, let's compare it to OBL for some real nice effect.

Lame.
Old 07-01-19, 04:25 PM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The OP forgot to mention tattoos.

I guess it is a function of the broader society and the modern notion that every thought and feeling needs to be expressed. "Self expression" is equated with genius.

Writing letters has become email has become texting has become twitter. We are now to the point where few know how to have an actual conversation but most personal interaction is just a series of competing "I" statements. Photography has become selfies. The focus is on now on self - what I think and want, my rights and feelings are the most important. Everything is an "Experience."

Anyway, long hair on a woman isn't fur and neon serves a purpose if it keeps us alive in traffic. I doubt anyone uses blinky lights as a fashion statement.

-Tim-

Well said!
Old 07-01-19, 04:26 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Let's not compare the beards to ones Jesus, da Vinci, or Galileo had. Nah, let's compare it to OBL for some real nice effect.

Lame.

I figured someone would thank me for not comparing bicyclists beards to the one Charles Manson wore, but nooooo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.