Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

One Man’s View Of Disc Brakes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

One Man’s View Of Disc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-19, 09:32 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
The funny thing is that I purchased one of those USB power bricks from Amazon, the one that lets you power 6 USB devices and has smart power to charge them at their appropriate amperage, and placed it near my two Di2 bikes. So I can charge their Di2 and also the four Bontrager LED lights.

Who'd have thought 20 years ago that such a thing would ever happen...
Back in the 90s Mavic was trying to develop electronic shifting. Who would have thought it would take so long for it to become commonplace?

I understand the need for charging your lights, but how often are you charging the Di2 battery?
Old 09-01-19, 09:59 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Back in the 90s Mavic was trying to develop electronic shifting. Who would have thought it would take so long for it to become commonplace?

I understand the need for charging your lights, but how often are you charging the Di2 battery?
Not often. But without the power brick there, I would have to grab one of my iPhone charger adapters. I think Shimano (or Bontrager) may even warn not to use certain Apple adapters because they don't provide enough amperage. So this killed multiple birds with one stone. Now all the USB cords plug straight into this power brick which claims to have some "intelligent" way to sense when to give certain devices more power. I can confirm it does charge my Ion Pro light at the higher speed (as long as I use the high-power USB cable that came with it) because the LED flashes faster when it's fast-charging vs. slow-charging.

It primarily was to solve the lights issue: I'd often forget that I'd gone through a pair, use up the other pair, then don't have lights because I was too lazy to go hunting for Apple charging adapters.
Old 09-02-19, 11:02 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Don't be pedantic. IMO there are still a few niggles with road disc, which realistically, has only been a thing for a few years.
The bike itself isn't perfect, but having good brakes is for sure a step in the right direction.
Old 09-02-19, 11:44 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
It's really easy with the right tools.

https://youtu.be/msIyofUud3A
So cool! I had seen the kits for sale, but never in use. I’m actually looking forward to playing interventional radiologist on my carbon frame.
Old 09-02-19, 01:26 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Oh man, I stumbled onto this thread too late. It took me about 20 minutes to replace (upgrade) my SM-RT800 rotors with some Dura-Ace level RT900 rotors that I scored a sweet deal on, and also to replace the resin pads. The resin pads cost me $40, and the rotors $100, and although the 800s were still very much within their ....................
This is a pro-disc post?
Old 09-02-19, 02:17 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Originally Posted by on the path
This is a pro-disc post?
Absolutely. If it only took me 20 minutes to do all of rotor uninstall & install + brake alignment + conversion to 140 to 160 (and keep in mind all of this was voluntary on my part, I wanted to upgrade the rotors and convert to 160, it wasn't a requirement)...then normal maintenance (outside of bleeding, which I haven't had to do) is going to be much easier. Replacing pads literally takes a minute.

And in exchange I get great stopping power in all seasons, and don't have to worry about rim brakes tracks on carbon wheels. Which if anything goes wrong, far eclipses the cost of rotors and pads.

Also keep in mind that was all my first time doing any of that. Future instances will be much faster.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 09-02-19, 02:40 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Absolutely.........
Dura Ace brake pads are less than $18.00 for front & rear. Disc brake replacement parts as indicated in your post @ $140.00. Unless money is no object, this is a great reason to ignore all things disc on road bikes, unless there is a specific need, i.e. foul weather riding and/or off road.
Likes For on the path:
Old 09-02-19, 02:54 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
This is a pro-disc post?
It is a little confusing. He overpaid for the pads(they are available for $18 for a complete set), and he replaced discs that weren’t worn out.
Old 09-02-19, 03:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Dura Ace brake pads are less than $18.00 for front & rear. Disc brake replacement parts as indicated in your post @ $140.00. Unless money is no object, this is a great reason to ignore all things disc on road bikes, unless there is a specific need, i.e. foul weather riding and/or off road.
It is a little confusing. He overpaid for the pads(they are available for $18 for a complete set), and he replaced discs that weren’t worn out.
Beyond that, should rotors *need* to replaced, it would be appropriate to compare it to the cost and frequency of replacing a rim on a rim brake bike. If you want to get in to disc vs rim wear item replacement costs, rim brakes aren't going to win if you like nice wheels.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-02-19, 03:03 PM
CarloM

To each their own, $40 vs. $18 for something I don't replace often isn't a big deal for me, but I won't begrudge anyone else for whom that is a significant amount.

And you're ignoring their improved performance of disc. Modulation. Stopping power. When I recently got into the cycling game I was trying to save money and was looking seriously at rim brake bikes since they were all being clearanced. Apparently we can consider 2019 the Year the Manufacturers Went [Nearly] All Disc. But riding the two...it's very evident which are superior brakes even in dry weather for me and my style of riding. I still go into my LBS and see one year (or older) models being clearanced at 25-40% off original MSRP, but most are rim brakes. I try them out and they're all great to ride. Until I hit the brakes. And then I realize I'm not going back to rim brakes.

I paid $40 for 2 sets, back and front, including tax.

And I already admitted the Dura-Ace rotors were for their cool aesthetics--although Shimano will claim they perform better than the Ultegra versions, which they'll claim to perform better than the 105 versions...

Since I'm using resin pads, which are rotor-life friendly, I don't anticipate buying new rotors any time soon.
Old 09-02-19, 03:46 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
My take is that high quality rim brakes are way more than adequate wet or dry.

But...

I’m planning a new build and it’s going to have discs.

Why?

Because I can swap wheel sizes. 26, 650b, 700c. Not limited.

*why would you want to swap between those?* everyone will ask.

Because one comfortable, quality bicycle that can be ridden for as long as I want is what I want. And sometimes that means dirt, sand, mud and gravel. Sometimes it means ice. Sometimes it’s pavement.
Old 09-02-19, 03:56 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Wow, I don't think anyone has mentioned being able to swap wheel sizes as an advantage for discs in this thread till now. That factor is a big deal for a small number of folks.

And I already admitted the Dura-Ace rotors were for their cool aesthetics--although Shimano will claim they perform better than the Ultegra versions, which they'll claim to perform better than the 105 versions...
Shimano reckons IceTech lowers temps by a big chunk, like 80 degrees or something. And another hefty amount for DA/XTR level IceTech over that.

Last edited by Kimmo; 09-02-19 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 04:20 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Beyond that, should rotors *need* to replaced, it would be appropriate to compare it to the cost and frequency of replacing a rim on a rim brake bike. If you want to get in to disc vs rim wear item replacement costs, rim brakes aren't going to win if you like nice wheels.
I'm sure it happens but I've not heard of anyone wearing out a brake track on a rim. However, I do hear of rims failing at the nipple holes (not ironically, disc setups are tougher on spokes/nipples... show me a front wheel with radially laced spokes and I'll show you a wheel that's been improperly built). A worn rim has likely served its useful life. A failed nipple hole could be from normal use, abuse, or improper spoke tensioning.

I've got nice wheels, light and strong, rim brake setup. I avoid riding anything but paved roads with them. And the brakes work fantastically well on that bike. Barring something unusual, those wheels should be in service for several more years. Why fix that which is not broken?
Likes For on the path:
Old 09-02-19, 04:44 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I'm sure it happens but I've not heard of anyone wearing out a brake track on a rim. However, I do hear of rims failing at the nipple holes (not ironically, disc setups are tougher on spokes/nipples... show me a front wheel with radially laced spokes and I'll show you a wheel that's been improperly built). A worn rim has likely served its useful life. A failed nipple hole could be from normal use, abuse, or improper spoke tensioning.

I've got nice wheels, light and strong, rim brake setup. I avoid riding anything but paved roads with them. And the brakes work fantastically well on that bike. Barring something unusual, those wheels should be in service for several more years. Why fix that which is not broken?
I think you’re right that there isn’t necessarily a need for disc brakes on regular road bikes. People do in fact wear out their brake tracks, especially if they ride in wet weather often. But many rims can last a century if used for casual fair weather riding.

As as far as spoke lacing, yes 24/24 with cross lacing is absolutely required as a minimum for disc brakes. Radially spoked wheels are about, but nobody who really builds wheels seems to endorse that.
Old 09-02-19, 04:48 PM
WhyFi

I'm sure it happens but I've not heard of anyone wearing out a brake track on a rim.
Yup. It happens.

A worn rim has likely served its useful life.
Well... yeah. That's kind of the point.

So don't. Like the other poster, enjoy your "good enough for me." Or were you thinking that this was an "Obama's coming for my rim brakes!" kind of deal?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-02-19, 04:49 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
... page 10 ... Yay!
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
To each their own, $40 vs. $18 for something I don't replace often isn't a big deal for me, but I won't begrudge anyone else for whom that is a significant amount.

And you're ignoring their improved performance of disc. Modulation. Stopping power. When I recently got into the cycling game I was trying to save money and was looking seriously at rim brake bikes since they were all being clearanced. Apparently we can consider 2019 the Year the Manufacturers Went [Nearly] All Disc. But riding the two...it's very evident which are superior brakes even in dry weather for me and my style of riding. I still go into my LBS and see one year (or older) models being clearanced at 25-40% off original MSRP, but most are rim brakes. I try them out and they're all great to ride. Until I hit the brakes. And then I realize I'm not going back to rim brakes.

I paid $40 for 2 sets, back and front, including tax.

Since I'm using resin pads, which are rotor-life friendly, I don't anticipate buying new rotors any time soon.

Sorry, simply making a declaration does not make something true. I can just as easily say that, wait somebody already said:

Originally Posted by Tulok
high quality rim brakes are way more than adequate wet or dry.
I'll declare that disk brakes on road bikes for riding on pavement provide absolutely no improvement over rim brakes on the same bike. See how easy that was?

Factually, disc brakes are heavier and more expensive on road bikes. That is not open for debate.

That the industry wants us to play along and "upgrade" to something we don't need has never been a reason for me to play along. Have fun...
Likes For on the path:
badger1

... just doing my bit to help this one limp along to ...
Old 09-02-19, 04:51 PM
badger1

... Eleven pages! What are records for, if not to be broken?
Old 09-02-19, 05:03 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Wow, I don't think anyone has mentioned being able to swap wheel sizes as an advantage for discs in this thread till now. That factor is a big deal for a small number of folks.
Swapping wheel sizes can been seen as an extension of swapping tire sizes, which is certainly seen as a benefit by more than just a small number of folks. I can go up to 40mm on one of my bikes, up to 35mm on the other. I've certainly taken advantage of that ability on both bikes, swapping knobbies and slicks, as weather and terrain dictates.
Old 09-02-19, 05:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'm sure it happens but I've not heard of anyone wearing out a brake track on a rim.
I've worn several out.
Old 09-02-19, 05:05 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

So don't. Like the other poster, enjoy your "good enough for me." Or were you thinking that this was an "Obama's coming for my rim brakes!" kind of deal?
Um, I'll declare that rim brakes categorically are just as good as disc brakes. And disc brakes are good enough. And heavy. And expensive. And overly complicated for the application.

I realize that this is the 41, but how can a thread like this contain no meaningful mention of tires? Tires are the single most significant component of any vehicle braking system. Ever hear - "your car is only as good as its tires"? When you're done "modulating" it's all up to the tires.
Old 09-02-19, 05:11 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I've worn several out.
I’ve worn out one on a commuter, which saw lots of wet weather duty. I am pretty sure it was the rear.
Old 09-02-19, 05:12 PM
WhyFi

Um, I'll declare that rim brakes categorically are just as good as disc brakes. And disc brakes are good enough. And heavy. And expensive. And overly complicated for the application.

I realize that this is the 41, but how can a thread like this contain no meaningful mention of tires? Tires are the single most significant component of any vehicle braking system. Ever hear - "your car is only as good as its tires"? When you're done "modulating" it's all up to the tires.
Yeah, but you don't know what you're talking about, so you've got that goin' for ya, which is nice.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-02-19, 05:17 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, but you don't know what you're talking about, so you've got that goin' for ya, which is nice.
No, it's you who doesn't know what you're talking about. Glad we cleared that up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.