Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Weekend tour packing

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Weekend tour packing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-16, 07:56 PM
Trentkln27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Weekend tour packing

A group of my friends and myself are preparing for ragbrai. We wanted to do a small tour before hand just to have some seat time. We already know when trails we're biking. We are only doing about 30 miles a day for 3 days so I won't need alot of gear. I don't have paniers or a bob (I do plan on buying one for longer tours). To carry what little I need should I use a small backpack or maybe strap my stuff to a cheap rack on my bike? Any suggestions are appreciated
Old 12-10-16, 08:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
You don't need much, so a small duffel or similar strapped to your rack is fine. Even putting all your stuff in a double garbage bag (doubled for better water proofing) rolled up and strapped down is fine for your needs.

Don't carry it on your person, you'll regret that after a few miles.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-10-16, 08:38 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Same feelings here. Avoid the backpack idea. A simple rear rack, and soft bag. I have in the past used what I would call a carry-on size duffle bag. Might be called a gym bag. I got a two sided saddle bag before my touring began. It is used all the time doing daily errands etc. a great commuter bag.
Heck, even if you strap a back pack on the rack you will like it a lot better.

Well, my opinion.
Hope this helps,

-Snuts-
Old 12-10-16, 10:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Are you camping or going to hotels/b&bs each night?

If its thebhotel route, then you could fit everything in a waterproof compression sack atop a rsck and call it good. $25 for the rack and $25 for the sack. $50 or less.

If you are camping, you will need to carry a lot more and panniers or a trailer would be needed.

I dont see how one could do 3 days out with camping gear, toiletries, and clothing without bags on the bike.

I woudbt want a backpack...as mentioned, thatll get old fast.
Old 12-11-16, 06:52 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 12-11-16, 07:07 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Your question reminds me of my first tour. I managed to ride 1000 miles around Lake Michigan from Chicago on a borrowed Schwinn Continental with some borrowed camping gear on a rear book rack (the kind with the spring-loaded clamp) and an old gym duffle bag tied between the brake levers to carry food and a pot. I had no money, so I did it without spending any.

Over the ensuing years I geared up with panniers and better camping gear, but I can't say it ever got any better than that first trip.
Old 12-11-16, 07:16 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Since you want to do ragbrai and doing other tours in the future, this is as good as time as any to think about investing in some gear. You don't need to do anything crazy but ask yourself what kind of riding you'll be doing and what kind of gear you want to bring.

A rack and some kind of rear rack pack can carry a fair amount of gear.
Old 12-11-16, 07:22 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I assume you are in a warm enough climate that it will be above freezing, and I assume credit card touring. That means only carrying a change of clothes for off the bike, some warm clothes and rain gear. Plus of course a tube or two, patch kit, etc. And lunch. Although this time of year you are only doing 30 miles per day (likely 3 to 4 hours), bring a light too and maybe batteries.

If you use a bag strapped on top of a rack like suggested above, make sure that it is tightly filled, a half empty sack can be very hard to strap on as the contents shift over time. If you use a compression sack, bring along a plastic bag to put your stuff in to keep it dry if it rains.

You can buy large sized rack top bags that have fold out small pannier sides. That is what I would use because the clothes can go in the side panniers. I got one of those bags over a decade ago made by Cannondale but I doubt they still make it. If you carry less than you would need in the panniers, fold them back up into the side pockets. Such a bag could come in really handy later when you do ragbra too, thus it could be a good investment for longer term.

I just did a quick google search, this one looks similar to mine. But there are others out there too.
https://www.bikebagshop.com/banjo-br...ag-p-2642.html
Old 12-11-16, 06:48 PM
Trentkln27

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The chain stays on my bike are really short and I hit my foot on even small paniers so if have to carry alot I'll be buying a bob. Right now it's just out of my budget tho. I think I'll try to fabricate a trailer for this tour.
Old 12-11-16, 08:00 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trentkln27
The chain stays on my bike are really short and I hit my foot on even small paniers so if have to carry alot I'll be buying a bob. Right now it's just out of my budget tho. I think I'll try to fabricate a trailer for this tour.
Check out the trailers from Discount Ramps. They're not Bobs but they're a fraction of the price. I owned the second one for awhile. Worked great.

Bicycle Cargo Trailer BCT-20301 | Discount Ramps

Single Wheel Bicycle Trailer for Cargo BCT-8002 | Discount Ramps
Old 12-11-16, 08:04 PM
Trentkln27

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Check out the trailers from Discount Ramps. They're not Bobs but they're a fraction of the price. I owned the second one for awhile. Worked great.

Bicycle Cargo Trailer BCT-20301 | Discount Ramps

Single Wheel Bicycle Trailer for Cargo BCT-8002 | Discount Ramps
I looked at those and they seemed a bit to cheap to me and I decided I wanted a bob cause they have an unbeatable reputation of durability and those were reviewed rather poorly
Old 12-11-16, 08:10 PM
Trentkln27

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have a big backpacking backpack and I would make a flat type trailer designed for it to strap to so I don't need to buy more bags
Old 12-11-16, 08:11 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at those and they seemed a bit to cheap to me and I decided I wanted a bob cause they have an unbeatable reputation of durability and those were reviewed rather poorly
Where did you see they were rated poorly at? Both of them have 5/5 stars across the boards on the links provided above.

I can't speak for the first one but the second one was great.

At the very least it could help as you build your own. You could modify both.
Old 12-11-16, 08:13 PM
Trentkln27

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Where did you see they were rated poorly at? Both of them have 5/5 stars across the boards on the links provided above.

I can't speak for the first one but the second one was great.

At the very least it could help as you build your own. You could modify both.
I had looked at them in the past and dove pretty deep into it and some of the weld quality was pretty low from what I found upon digging deeper
Old 12-11-16, 08:19 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had looked at them in the past and dove pretty deep into it and some of the weld quality was pretty low from what I found upon digging deeper
Interesting. Never had any problems with mine and haven't heard of any issues.
Old 12-11-16, 08:20 PM
Trentkln27

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My bad. I was looking at other similar trailers and got them confused. I might pull the trigger on that single wheel one cause is seems nice and I think I could reinforce it to haul more than its rated 65 lbs
Old 12-11-16, 08:37 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I would look into bikepacking bags and forget about trailers. With careful gear choices you don't need trailers or panniers to tour.
Old 12-11-16, 08:42 PM
Trentkln27

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nun
I would look into bikepacking bags and forget about trailers. With careful gear choices you don't need trailers or panniers to tour.
I'd buy the trailer so all my stuff is in one place. Just easy for my that way and I like having access to my water bottles in my front triangle
Old 12-11-16, 09:21 PM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maya Trailer

This is a a good trailer. Have had this out for several weekend trips.

https://www.mayacycle.com/bike-trailer-gallery for some pictures. It doesn't break the bank and I really like the bike stand feature. I took the wheelbarrow handles off mine and removed the small fender (kept having issues with it coming lose on rough terrain).

Because it is only one wheel, the handling is superb. When you buy the trailer, the bag comes with it. I have also strapped a small tote to it, so I can keep certain food stuffs and other valuables locked away from critters and two legged varmints from entering when I am not looking.
Old 12-11-16, 09:26 PM
Trentkln27

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. They're pretty budget friendly and that's great since I don't have much money. But the trailer idea is alot better than the backpack idea
Old 12-11-16, 09:47 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I'd buy the trailer so all my stuff is in one place. Just easy for my that way and I like having access to my water bottles in my front triangle
You don't have to give up water bottles in the front triangle and I'd hate to lug a trailer around on tour. You just need two bags to tour, a handlebar bag and a saddlebag.
Old 12-11-16, 09:49 PM
Trentkln27

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nun
You don't have to give up water bottles in the front triangle and I'd hate to lug a trailer around on tour. You just need two bags to tour, a handlebar bag and a saddlebag.
Even to haul a tent some food and other camping gear? I'm going mostly unsupported for the weekend tour
Old 12-11-16, 10:24 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Sounds like you've decided on the single-wheel trailer to haul your backpack. That should work fine. If you've never ridden a bike with touring bags on it (generally two rear panniers on the rack, bedroll and tent on top of the rack and front handlebar bag), you will probably find the trailer to be more agreeable. A lot of people have ridden a whole lot of miles with panniers but that setup can make your bike feel sluggish, which the proper trailer is less likely to do. Good luck!

P.S. Try riding all day with 65 pounds in that trailer before you decide you need to do any reinforcing. I recently toured with 50 pounds in a B.O.B. and that was plenty of weight. I probably could have done with less and certainly would not have wanted more.

Last edited by thumpism; 12-11-16 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 11:15 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Even to haul a tent some food and other camping gear? I'm going mostly unsupported for the weekend tour
Sure, with UL gear I do 4-day/3-nighters with a single 20lbs/25L pannier, incl 6 lbs of food/water.
Old 12-11-16, 11:44 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bad. I was looking at other similar trailers and got them confused. I might pull the trigger on that single wheel one cause is seems nice and I think I could reinforce it to haul more than its rated 65 lbs
+1 - That's the one I owned. I can't comment on the dual wheel one since I've never owned it. 65lbs is a lot. I sold my trailer because I travel light, averaging 13lbs on a cross country tour.

Personally having all of my gear in two 14L panniers vs in a trailer was better for me.

I did enjoy the trailer while touring with my younger sisters though, who were 10 & 15 (twins) the first time we toured. Ended up carrying most of their gear. They're now old enough to carry their own gear. Couldn't tell you how much the trailer weighed then. 40-50lbs I think would be a good estimate. Handled well. The bag that comes with it is waterproof as advertised. I do spray all of my gear with Thompson's Water Seal though. That may have added to how well it worked, not sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.