Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will endurance and gravel bike designs merge in the future?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-17, 07:35 AM
johngwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It seems that a lot of trends in endurance road bikes (such as wider tires, disk brakes and some form of suspension in the frame) are also found in typical gravel bikes.

Endurance bikes are still on the "racier" end of the spectrum, often with 28mm tires, but these two styles of bike seem have a lot a common.

Do you agree?

I'm curious as to how generic "road-style" bikes (including pure racers, endurance, gravel, cyclocross, touring) bike design will evolve over the next few years. Will we see elements of mountain bike design creeping in?

John.
Old 04-15-17, 10:51 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
At what point does a rainbow change from red to orange?

You're talking as if there are clear demarcations between the various bicycle genres. I don't think such distinctions exist. Pick a bike that you like and that does what you want it to do and call it whatever you like.
Old 04-15-17, 11:07 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Hasn't Kona already merged these two genres?
Old 04-15-17, 11:08 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
The question of whether "endurance" bikes will continue to employ passive suspension .... I doubt it. Most "endurance bike" owners seem to be primarily road riders, and I doubt most of them ride roads so rough that anything more complicated than we see so far is likely.

I think ti is more marketing-driven---if Specialized or Trek decides it can grab attention by putting a tiny shock in its frame or something ... wanted or needed or not, we will be stuck with it.

As for gravel bikes ... again, marketing. I think most dedicated flat-trail riders would probably like room for wide rubber .... and maybe fenders ... I don't hear people complaining about vibration.

If there is a sizeable class of riders out there riding really bad pavement which feels the need for more shock-absorbing--why aren't the existing pseudo-shock equipped bikes making more of a splash? or maybe they are and I am not hearing about it.

For manufacturers it is always a fine line between offering more intricate (and breakable, and expensive) tech and having enough "Brand New?"' crap to gain an edge in advertising.

Zertz inserts seem not to have had much impact one way or another ... the new compressible bits don't seem to be capturing people's imagination .... Can a tiny head-shock be incorporated without driving up cost and eight, and still be reliable? At what point will roadies be turned off by too many bits at too high a price?

There was some Dutch frame a while back (25-30 years back) that had a compressible portion between the y-shaped seat stays and the down tube--it might have offered almost an inch of deflection. Never heard of it since.

The line between making a perceptible difference in performance and making an unacceptable increase in cost and price is a fine one.
Old 04-15-17, 11:56 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
New categories create excitement and sales, so there will be merging that creates new categories, not pruning of categories. So gravel bikes seem to be hot now, that can be extended into endurance gravel bikes, touring gravel bikes, and mountain gravel bikes. Once the new categories are established, then they can be combined into a (new) all purpose gravel bike genre. This cycle can be repeated endlessly.
Old 04-15-17, 01:09 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by tyrion
New categories create excitement and sales, so there will be merging that creates new categories, not pruning of categories. So gravel bikes seem to be hot now, that can be extended into endurance gravel bikes, touring gravel bikes, and mountain gravel bikes. Once the new categories are established, then they can be combined into a (new) all purpose gravel bike genre. This cycle can be repeated endlessly.
I fear it is an accurate picture of a grim future you paint, my friend.
Old 04-15-17, 02:02 PM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the question is really whether people who buy endurance road frames will continue to buy endurance frames. Why not to just buy a gravel bike?
Old 04-15-17, 03:08 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think you've hit the nail on the head! I'm sure a fair bit of bike "evolution" is just marketing, designed to spark interest in "the new". It's more a case ofconstant mutation, rather than an upwards evolution.
Old 04-15-17, 03:14 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by athrowawaynic
I think the question is really whether people who buy endurance road frames will continue to buy endurance frames. Why not to just buy a gravel bike?
I'm saying the market will promote the distinction (road endurance bike would be lighter, more aero; gravel endurance bike will be more shock absorbing), as well as promote the hybrid.

In answer to your question "why not just buy a gravel bike" - if you just ride on smooth roads then you might not want to pay the weight penalty (or cost penalty) of the shock absorption. No doubt multipurpose bikes will always be popular, but the industry benefits from more categories.
Old 04-15-17, 03:14 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think this is what I was really wanting to ask - thanks for clarifiying my thoughts!

If you make a bike light, fast, able to accept wide tires & durable enough for rough surfaces, then you could probably use it for any cycling discipline other than the extreme ends of the spectrum requiring maximum speed (road racing) or robustness (MTB). As people have pointed out before, you used to just buy "a bike", and no-one told you what they could ride it on!
Old 04-15-17, 03:44 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
I think this is what I was really wanting to ask - thanks for clarifiying my thoughts!

If you make a bike light, fast, able to accept wide tires & durable enough for rough surfaces, then you could probably use it for any cycling discipline other than the extreme ends of the spectrum requiring maximum speed (road racing) or robustness (MTB). As people have pointed out before, you used to just buy "a bike", and no-one told you what they could ride it on!
FYA, I have previously posted
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…After 40 years of cycle commuting on a year-round minimal one-way 14 mile route, I have this year finally assembled IMO, the perfect bicycle fleet:
  • One nearly year-round dry, clean-road bike (carbon fiber road bike,except for deep winter with lingering salt)
  • One year-round wet,dirty-road bike (aluminum road bike, just recently acquired [outfitted with 30 C studded tires for winter, trunk bag with fold–out panniers, computer, clipless pedals and fenders] see picture below)
  • One winter bike for anything (steel mountain bike withMarathon Winter studded tires always on, for the least possibility of ice; I could use it for trails without the studs, but I don't do that kind of riding).
The first two bikes are smooth, easy riding, andeasy to carry upstairs; thethird is a heavy and significantly tougher ride…Now,the Cannondale is reserved completely for miserable studded-tire riding, and I'm happy about that, and my riding needs are completely met. I liken my three bikes to a Lamborghini, a Lexus, and a Humvee.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…The ride and shifting [of the Specialized Diverge Elite] is as smooth as the S-Works, but the feel is more”solid,” with 30C tires. I think this is a great all-purpose bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
untitled.jpg (23.3 KB, 383 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-15-17 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-15-17, 03:55 PM
tyrion

I think you've hit the nail on the head! I'm sure a fair bit of bike "evolution" is just marketing, designed to spark interest in "the new". It's more a case ofconstant mutation, rather than an upwards evolution.
I don't think this is all that bad. Things like fat bikes might be an oversold fad, but there are some problems they solve nicely. I like drop bar bikes with wider (40mm) tires and these weren't available a few years ago (maybe there were some but they were uncommon and expensive). And who can argue with putting bigger than 26" tires on mountain bikes?

I like the increased variety, although it does take a little more effort to cut through the accompanying BS.

Last edited by tyrion; 04-15-17 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-15-17, 04:13 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is what I always recommend now to those looking for a road bike "but I might take it off-road". The reasonably lightweight road bike that can take larger tires already exists among many manufacturers (gravel/adventure bikes.).

There's no reason why most road bike riders wouldn't be happy with one of these, with narrow road tires, for every possible road ride other than high-level racing. In most "B", or even many "A" groups, a bike like a Carbon Jamis Renegade or Specialized Diverge would not hold one back much at all vs a normal endurance road bike.

Last year in our club's group rides, the 2 fastest guys were riding a cyclocross bike, and a 1991 Aluminum cannondale touring bike with a rack and downtube shifters. The first guy has raced criteriums on hi cross bike (with road tires), and the second guy just rides 50 miles every day and a century or more almost Every weekend.

Last edited by 12strings; 04-16-17 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-15-17, 10:27 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Seems to me "endurance" is going away in favor of "RoadMachine"-style frames.

scott s.
Old 04-15-17, 11:04 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
and a 1991 Aluminum cannondale touring bike with a rack and downriver shifters.
I have a very hard time believing that a cyclist wouldn't be considerably held back by their shifters being down a river instead of mounted on the bike.
Old 04-15-17, 11:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Zertz inserts seem not to have had much impact one way or another ... the new compressible bits don't seem to be capturing people's imagination .... Can a tiny head-shock be incorporated without driving up cost and eight, and still be reliable? At what point will roadies be turned off by too many bits at too high a price?

There was some Dutch frame a while back (25-30 years back) that had a compressible portion between the y-shaped seat stays and the down tube--it might have offered almost an inch of deflection. Never heard of it since.

The line between making a perceptible difference in performance and making an unacceptable increase in cost and price is a fine one.
Specialized has already designed handlebars that have a little twist and flex. And there are both stems and seatposts that have a little to a lot of flex.

In a sense, it is easier to flex the stem and bars than it is to build a headshock. However, a performance bike should be relatively rigid for the triangle, bars-seat-bottom bracket, so too much flex is bad.

Anyway, those ideas will bounce around some.
Originally Posted by scott967
Seems to me "endurance" is going away in favor of "RoadMachine"-style frames.
And, I thought it was going the other way, with road machines migrating towards "endurance", with wider tires and taller headtubes.

Convergence of technology?
Old 04-15-17, 11:58 PM
Crawdaddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is a great time in bikes. So many choices for styles of riding. Hope nothing merges. Give us variety!
Old 04-16-17, 05:24 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The next genre? The moon bike, capable of traveling the terrain. Might as well ride in the inactive volcano at Haleakala.
Old 04-16-17, 05:34 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
I have a very hard time believing that a cyclist wouldn't be considerably held back by their shifters being down a river instead of mounted on the bike.
Ah, yes, stupid auto-correct...should be downtube...
Old 04-16-17, 01:26 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Gravel road bikes have an endurance road bike geometry.

Where people used to buy endurance road bikes they're now switching to do-it-all bikes like adventure/gravel road bikes suitable foe multi-surface riding.

If you can buy only ONE bike, that is the bike to buy nowadays.

Last edited by NormanF; 04-16-17 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-16-17, 02:29 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by NormanF
If you can buy only ONE bike, that is the bike to buy nowadays.
Unless you do not intend to do multi-surface riding .... Where I live I am hard-pressed to think of a place where I could ride a gravel bike. My choices are paved roads and serious MTB trails.

Otherwise I could lobby my wife on the "obvious need" to buy yet another bicycle.
Old 04-16-17, 07:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Unless you do not intend to do multi-surface riding .... Where I live I am hard-pressed to think of a place where I could ride a gravel bike. My choices are paved roads and serious MTB trails.

Otherwise I could lobby my wife on the "obvious need" to buy yet another bicycle.
I've found a few places with gravel around here. Some I take the road bike (23/25mm tires), some are reserved for the Cross bike (35mm). One pushed the limits of the cross config. One, I haven't made it to yet, but some people recommend a fat tire bike.

But, back to the question at hand. The OP has asked about an endurance bike for a 50+ yr old transitioning from a hybrid. There are a lot of different directions that one could take that. Fat vs skinny tires should be at the top of the list of considerations. So, one could get an Anyroad or ARD, and mount wide smooth tires on it for comfort, but reasonable performance.
Old 04-16-17, 07:55 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Speaking as an endurance rider who just cycled two events in 60 hours this weekend ... a 300 km randonnee and a 200 km randonnee ...

1) Endurance riders ride a lot of different bicycles. Go check out the long distance forum. There's a My Century Bicycle thread going there ... that'll give you some idea. Also, if you ever have the chance of going to the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200 in France (as I have twice), you'll see all sorts of different bicycles.

2) We don't necessarily want, as someone said, the ability to put wide tyres on our endurance bicycles.

There is one 100K event that Rowan and I do here with two fairly lengthy stretches of gravel, and for that we'll ride our touring bicycles which can take slightly wider tyres.

Otherwise, I prefer a fairly lighweight yet durable bicycle, with a geometry that's somewhere between a racing bicycle and a touring bicycle, and able to run 25s.

And that's precisely what I've got!
Old 04-16-17, 08:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
It seems that a lot of trends in endurance road bikes (such as wider tires, disk brakes and some form of suspension in the frame) are also found in typical gravel bikes.

Endurance bikes are still on the "racier" end of the spectrum, often with 28mm tires, but these two styles of bike seem have a lot a common.

Do you agree?

I'm curious as to how generic "road-style" bikes (including pure racers, endurance, gravel, cyclocross, touring) bike design will evolve over the next few years. Will we see elements of mountain bike design creeping in?

John.
There already are a number of bikes out there that are combining aspects of dedicated gravel bikes with aspects of road endurance bikes.

I don't think endurance road and gravel bikes are going to merge. You are still going to have those kinds of bikes. But you will also start having more options somewhere in between.

And personally, I think it is awesome.

It is sort of like what happened with MTB 15-20 years ago. In 2000 you had XC bikes, and DH/FR bikes. Very little in between. Then in the early 2000s bikes like the Santa Cruz Heckler and Yeti 575 offered something in between, and people lived it. Now you have a vast array of bikes running the XC-DH spectrum (Trail, All Mountain). And I think that is wonderful.

And of course they are going to come up with new names for bikes that are a blend of road and gravel. So what? It just helps describe the bikes.
Old 04-16-17, 09:04 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I fear it is an accurate picture of a grim future you paint, my friend.
Only grim if one allows themselves to get sucked into always pursuing the latest trend.

Judging by the incredibly wide variety of bikes that are available, one can have whatever they desire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.