Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Shoe stiffness- how stiff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 09:53 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Shoe stiffness- how stiff?

I currently ride Shimano CT-41 touring shoes. While they have been supremely comfortable on and off the bike, that off the bike comfort is sacrificing a lot of pedaling efficiency and I'm looking to get something a bit stiffer.

There seems to be a spectrum of cycling shoe sole stiffness. How stiff are your shoes? There is an abundance of carbon soled shoes. Should I avoid shoes with them for 100+ miles rides and go with the reinforced plastic ones which are also very stiff but have a bit more give?
Old 02-15-18, 10:19 AM
iTrod

Bikes: 2018 Litespeed Cherohala SE; 2011 Giant Defy Advanced 1; 2012 Catrike Expedition; 2016 Co-Motion Americano Rohloff, 2018 Giant XTC

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sidi MTB Dominator 7

I really like the SIDI MTB Dominator 7 which take SPD cleats. They are reasonably comfortable for walking and seem plenty stiff for my 200 lb frame when I am dancing on the pedals. I use the Mega version since I have wide feet. SIDI also makes a stiffer carbon fiber soled MTB Dragon 4. I don't see a reason to go this rigid and I bet they are not as comfortable for walking. The downside: SIDI shoes are expensive!
Old 02-15-18, 12:33 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
that off the bike comfort is sacrificing a lot of pedaling efficiency
How do you know this?
Old 02-15-18, 12:50 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
How do you know this?
They are very flexible shoes. You can feel it while pedaling.
Old 02-15-18, 12:51 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by iTrod
I really like the SIDI MTB Dominator 7 which take SPD cleats. They are reasonably comfortable for walking and seem plenty stiff for my 200 lb frame when I am dancing on the pedals. I use the Mega version since I have wide feet. SIDI also makes a stiffer carbon fiber soled MTB Dragon 4. I don't see a reason to go this rigid and I bet they are not as comfortable for walking. The downside: SIDI shoes are expensive!
Thanks. After doing more research and reading, it sounds like one or two notches down from all-out race shoes might be the way to go since I do get off the bike from time to time. Will check out the Sidi Dominator's as they seem to be along those lines and very popular across different type of cyclists.
Old 02-15-18, 01:07 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
I don't believe shoe stiffness makes a difference in how efficient someone can pedal. However, if you feel like it's an issue there's no reason not to resolve. Make sure you do not get shoes that are too stiff or too narrow. I have had several customers return high end race shoes because they were too stiff and causing problems with hot spots and sore feet. This is exacerbated by the fact that a lot of high end shoes are designed for skinny professional cyclists who often have much narrower feet than a more average proportioned human being.
Old 02-15-18, 02:46 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I am finding that a challenge. My feet are very wide and to make things worse it seems that cycling shoes are generally quite narrow. So there are a limited number of wider options.

Last edited by vinuneuro; 02-15-18 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 05:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I am pretty sure that as long as your shoes aren't flexing enough that you can feel the cleat pressing into your foot, they are not costing any efficiency. I know people that use street shoes and platform pedals on long rides.
Old 02-15-18, 09:30 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Progress: shoes to adding clips to putting cleats on bike-specific leather shoes to SPDs to Look and... back to shoes with clips. Speedplay-specific SIDIs would be nice but that'd be half the price of a new alloy bike with 105 components.
Old 02-16-18, 03:46 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
A flexible sole is good for walking. Stiff is harder to walk on.

However on the bike, perhaps stiffer the better. But, I don't know how much difference it really makes, as long as you don't feel any sore spots on the feet.

Lake makes some good lightweight carbon fiber soled walkable SPD shoes. They do run slightly long. I think they may also come in different widths.
Old 02-16-18, 05:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I was using Lake Mtn Bike shoes from many years ago which were reasonably stiff, yet also pretty good for walking. Years passed and my feet started cramping on some rides.

I determined that some of the cramping issues were due to dehydration ... every time I am dehydrated my feet cramp, even while just walking ... but as the months went on, my feet were cramping on the bicycle even when I wasn't dehydrated. I tried electrolytes, stretching, different socks, and all sorts of ideas to no avail.

Finally I dug a pair of newer Lake Mtn Bike shoes out of the closet and set them up. They have stiffer soles than my old Lakes, when they were new, and much stiffer soles than my old Lakes after years of use. They aren't as stiff as my road shoes, but they are stiff enough it is actually a little difficult to walk ... I feel a bit like Frankenstein!

But ... my feet have not cramped since I started using them.

There might be something to be said for shoes that are a bit on the stiffer side.

My old Lakes were an older version of these:
https://lakecycling.com/collections/...nt=28169555657

I would go for another pair of them, if I could get ahold of them.

I think my new ones are also MX-100, but they did something slightly different with the style a year or two there, so my new ones look a bit sleeker and narrower than the older version. They're all right, but I'd prefer something a little bit wider next time.
Old 02-16-18, 03:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I use a Giro Privateer R HV. link

The sole is flexible enough to walk on, but it works great on the bike. The HV is just barely wide enough for my feet. I usually go up a size because my feet swell after about 90 miles. I used to get the tightest shoe that felt comfortable, but that's just silly. It really doesn't hurt anything to be a little loose, and one size up means you can still tighten the top of the shoe, which is the most important part.
Old 02-16-18, 10:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Most randos around here ride Sidi Dominators. They're a pretty stiff shoe. Maybe not the stiffest, but I can't feel the pedal through the sole and that's the key thing. If you can feel the pedal, you need stiffer shoes IMO. Been there. The Dominators are an MTB shoe, so it's SPD pedals with them. For rando, I think walkability is important at least to the extent of comfortably walking across a parking lot and through a grocery store, hence the MTB thing. Basically I'd say the stiffest MTB shoe that feels like you could walk a hundred yards in them at 3 am when you're exhausted and wet. Dominators are expensive, but they last forever. Be sure to get the right size because you will be wearing them pretty much forever. Good amortization. My feet actually shrink during a long ride. Or maybe my socks just squish. I think just the right socks are important, too. I don't like thin racer socks.
Old 02-17-18, 12:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
My feet actually shrink during a long ride. Or maybe my socks just squish. I think just the right socks are important, too. I don't like thin racer socks.
Mine swell during long rides or runs.

And yes, the socks are important. What works for me is a thin sock with a thin wool sock over it. Or if it is cold, a thin sock with a thick wool sock over. And seamless or as close to that as they can get.
Old 02-17-18, 01:17 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Like the rest of the stuff that interacts with our bodies, the best shoes vary from person to person. So does the best sole stiffness.

Back in a distant millenium when I was a certified racer, my favorite she and the shoe I rode the ride of my life wearing was a shoe that we would say now was quite flexy. The plastic soled Puma. For me, so comfortable that I could lace them up tight enough for a race that I knew would be very hard the last 18 , hang around for two hours while we waited for the official who missed his plane, race for 4 hours at a course setting pace, then sit in a van, wasted for the four hour ride home. Half way I remembered I was still wearing my shoes, still laced up tight. That race, everything was perfect for me (except my race tactics - a story for another day). Nothing, clothing, equipment, shoes ... slowed me down or ever came into my consciousness.

A couple of years later I bought the wooden soled Duegis. Stiff! Nowhere near as good a shoe for me for extracting the best out of my legs. Others loved them.

I don't like really flexy soles, but moderate flex that isn't just at the cleat works well for me and too stiff doesn't.

Ben
Old 02-17-18, 08:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Just a side note on some shoes that I had foot pain issues with.

I have a pair of Pearl Izumi shoes with SPD cleats that after about 20 miles I would start having foot pain. Could not figure it out, tried lots of things. Taking the insole out and looking inside, everything looked fine. But, most SPD shoes that I have used had a flap that had been cut out to install the cleat hardware, then the flap was re-closed. These shoes giving me a problem did not have a flap cut out, but instead had a rectangular shaped hole and a piece of foam put in the hole instead. Feeling the foam, it was apparent that the foam was soft and easily compressible. Thus, when I pedaled, I was effectively trying to force my foot into a small rectangular hole.

I once before had trouble with Pearl Izumi costumer service on a warranty claim, so I did not even bother trying that. But I did not want to discard them either. Instead I cut a rectangular piece of tin coated steel sheet (from the lid and bottom of a large coffee can) with a tin snips and placed that in the shoe so that it overlapped the hole in the foot bed. Secured it in place with a small piece of tape. And, no more problems after that. When I pedaled, the steel was strong enough to support my weight and not collapse into the hole, giving me a smooth flat surface under the insole.

Bottom line - if a pair of bike shoes gives you foot pain, look under the insole to see if the food bed has a surface where your cleat hardware is that could be causing the problem. An irregular food bed could be the problem.

I bought a pair of Keen Commuter 4 sandals. Fit great. And before even riding on them, I pulled out the insole to see what it looked like. And it looked like it might cause me some problems because I could see the cleat hardware, it had an irregular shape to the footbed. So before even riding with it, I cut a couple pieces of sheet steel (also from large coffee can lid and bottom) to place over that area, secured it in place with tape and put the insole back in. Works great and I love these Commuter 4 sandals, enough that I got a second pair. But I can see where they would have caused me a problem if I had not made the modification that I did.

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
I am finding that a challenge. My feet are very wide and to make things worse it seems that cycling shoes are generally quite narrow. So there are a limited number of wider options.
My Keen Commuter 4 sandles fit a wide foot quite well. Their website says you should order a half size larger than you normally would, I am glad I did order them a have size larger. It looks like their choice is quite limited for sizes, they might be out of production. If you could try them on in a store first, that would be best because their sizing is off a bit. Also, note above my comments on how I modified them.
https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-COMMUTER-4.html

But one caution on the Commuter 4 sandals, their insole is thick and reasonably firm foam. If you are concerned about a soft shoe feeling inefficient, these might feel inefficient to you.

Keen has changed their foot last over time, some of their sandals did not fit a wide foot very well, thus I am not commenting on other models.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 02-17-18 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-19-18, 10:26 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I use Dominators with Specialized Body Geometry SL Footbeds. Regardless of what shoes you use, I recommend the footbeds. I'm planning to get a pair of Dromarti's someday if my Dominators ever wear out.
Old 02-19-18, 11:22 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I had hotspots the first time I ever rode with a clipless pedal but I can't even remember the brand of the shoe. I rode a few years with the shimano mt34, a bright entry level shoe that held up well for me. I used it on platform pedals at first since it came with a cleat cover installed. I got tired of tying laces though and upgraded to the shimano m163 and have found it to be a great shoe. Holds up well to rain and grime, only got 2 season on 'em but they don't seem worse for wear. I had to go all the way up to a size 49 to get a wide enough fit but the shoes have a lot of fore-aft adjustment for the cleats so I'm pleased with them. They seem a bit stiffer than the mt34 I started with.
Old 02-19-18, 04:44 PM
Flamme Rouge

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stiff. But consider different footbeds for comfort and (additional) pedaling efficiency.
Old 02-20-18, 03:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka
I was using Lake Mtn Bike shoes from many years ago which were reasonably stiff, yet also pretty good for walking. Years passed and my feet started cramping on some rides.

I determined that some of the cramping issues were due to dehydration ... every time I am dehydrated my feet cramp, even while just walking ... but as the months went on, my feet were cramping on the bicycle even when I wasn't dehydrated. I tried electrolytes, stretching, different socks, and all sorts of ideas to no avail.

Finally I dug a pair of newer Lake Mtn Bike shoes out of the closet and set them up. They have stiffer soles than my old Lakes, when they were new, and much stiffer soles than my old Lakes after years of use. They aren't as stiff as my road shoes, but they are stiff enough it is actually a little difficult to walk ... I feel a bit like Frankenstein!

But ... my feet have not cramped since I started using them.

There might be something to be said for shoes that are a bit on the stiffer side.

My old Lakes were an older version of these:
https://lakecycling.com/collections/...nt=28169555657

I would go for another pair of them, if I could get ahold of them.

I think my new ones are also MX-100, but they did something slightly different with the style a year or two there, so my new ones look a bit sleeker and narrower than the older version. They're all right, but I'd prefer something a little bit wider next time.

All that said ... it turns out my new Lakes are too narrow.

We rode a very hot 200K on Sunday and I ended up with all kinds of foot pain because the shoes are slightly too narrow and because of the heat on the ride.

When I bought the shoes a few years ago, my feet were still quite narrow, but arthritis has widened them.
Old 02-20-18, 10:06 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I use Dominators with Specialized Body Geometry SL Footbeds. Regardless of what shoes you use, I recommend the footbeds. I'm planning to get a pair of Dromarti's someday if my Dominators ever wear out.
I'll 2nd the Specialized footbeds. I had a pair of Specialized shoes about 10-12 years ago that came with them and have been using them in every pair of shoes since.

Regarding the original topic of how stiff... I've found that I get hot foot, numbness, or general foot fatigue/cramping with flexible soles unless I'm riding at a very leisurely pace with my kids.

I had a nice stiff pair of Giro's with EC70 soles, loved them. Went with a low end pair of Fizik's after that for about a year and had foot pain on every ride over 45-50 miles. Got a pair of Giro's with EC90 soles, did 101 miles my first ride with them and have since picked up another pair so I have stiff carbon for both off road and road shoes.
Old 02-20-18, 11:05 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
All that said ... it turns out my new Lakes are too narrow.

We rode a very hot 200K on Sunday and I ended up with all kinds of foot pain because the shoes are slightly too narrow and because of the heat on the ride.

When I bought the shoes a few years ago, my feet were still quite narrow, but arthritis has widened them.
Would a thinner pair of socks work? I have one pair of shoes that I can only wear if I wear very thin socks. I also have the thinnest insole that I could find in them. My problem is not a wide foot but a bunion.
Old 02-20-18, 12:02 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Back in a distant millenium when I was a certified racer, my favorite she and the shoe I rode the ride of my life wearing was a shoe that we would say now was quite flexy. The plastic soled Puma. For me, so comfortable that I could lace them up tight enough for a race that I knew would be very hard the last 18 , hang around for two hours while we waited for the official who missed his plane, race for 4 hours at a course setting pace, then sit in a van, wasted for the four hour ride home. Half way I remembered I was still wearing my shoes, still laced up tight. That race, everything was perfect for me (except my race tactics - a story for another day). Nothing, clothing, equipment, shoes ... slowed me down or ever came into my consciousness.
I'm using something similar to your old Puma shoes. The Louis Garneau Milan shoes are lace up with a nylon/plastic sole. They are a little more flexy than the Bont a-three I used to use. But they still work a-ok for me so far.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A couple of years later I bought the wooden soled Duegis. Stiff! Nowhere near as good a shoe for me for extracting the best out of my legs. Others loved them.

I don't like really flexy soles, but moderate flex that isn't just at the cleat works well for me and too stiff doesn't.

Ben
Careful, you're dating yourself with the wooden sole shoe reference. I tried those once in the 1980's and they killed my feet. So I think that some flex (as small as it is with the current shoes) is not a bad thing. Only good thing about the wood soles was it was easy to nail the plastic cleat on. Do you remember the white Duegi's with the little holes in the leather uppers? Those were one of my favorite shoes and they also had plastic soles.

EDIT: I might be misremembering the wood sole shoes. They might have been Detto Pietro in my case, but the rest applies...

Last edited by ptempel; 02-20-18 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-20-18, 04:20 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Would a thinner pair of socks work? I have one pair of shoes that I can only wear if I wear very thin socks. I also have the thinnest insole that I could find in them. My problem is not a wide foot but a bunion.
Maybe, but although I was wearing 2 pair of socks, they were both quite thin.

The joint where the big toe meets the foot has the arthritis and has bulged out now, and that spot gets very painful when there's pressure on it. Unfortunately the shoes are really narrow ... I think even if I were barefoot there'd be pressure.
Old 02-21-18, 07:51 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I wear Specialized MTB shoes that had their then-stiffest carbon sole. (They've rearranged the lineup as to which shoes have which sole, and the "stiffness index" of their fanciest sole keeps going up, so I'm not exactly sure how they compare, but they don't bend at all, basically.) I find them fine to walk in; I wouldn't want to do a multi-mile hike-a-bike if I was actually MTBing, but walking the steep part of a hill is A-OK.

I also have Specialized Defrosters for rainy/cold weather, with a less stiff sole, and they're generally OK too. (Specialized's definition of foot-shaped seems to match the shape of my feet best of the major shoemakers. So I stick with theirs. I had a flexier/cheaper pair of their shoes in women's width rather than men's and they did give me hotfoot; whether it was the floppy sole or the narrower shoe IDK; they're now my spin class shoes which is a short enough ride that it doesn't matter.)

I run no-platform SPD pedals; I don't see any reason to have a platform with good stiff shoes.