Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hitch Racks

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-18, 01:40 PM
MMKB1740

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hitch Racks

I am looking for a relatively affordable hitch bike rack to carry my family’s bike. We currently have two adult bikes and a child bike, but will eventually have 2 children’s bikes, so it will preferably need to hold 4 bikes. What are some recommendations. I was looking at a Yakima Double Down. Looking to spend no more than $200 but closer to $150 or less would be great.
Old 06-09-18, 02:34 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Allen racks are the best deal out there for the money. You can get one for around $100 from Amazon that holds four bikes. The only downside is the safety people made it difficult to operate. They only provide a bolt - on option for mounting. Making the rack a permanent attachment on the hitch. So, you have to find a 5/8" drill bit & "modify" the rack in order to use it with a removable hitch pin & make it portable. Thanks Allen. Smart move. (If you modify their design it's "unauthorized" and, if your bikes fly off the back it's not their fault.).
Old 06-09-18, 02:54 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
I've found rack capacity to be overstated depending on the bikes. I couldn't always fit 4 on my 4 racks.
Old 06-09-18, 05:17 PM
MMKB1740

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I've found rack capacity to be overstated depending on the bikes. I couldn't always fit 4 on my 4 racks.
What brand bike rack did you have issue with? I know for certain that a rack made for 2 bikes isn’t going to hold four, and definitely not four safely and securely. But, I would like to travel with our bikes, so I do need a rack.
Old 06-09-18, 05:18 PM
MMKB1740

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Allen racks are the best deal out there for the money. You can get one for around $100 from Amazon that holds four bikes. The only downside is the safety people made it difficult to operate. They only provide a bolt - on option for mounting. Making the rack a permanent attachment on the hitch. So, you have to find a 5/8" drill bit & "modify" the rack in order to use it with a removable hitch pin & make it portable. Thanks Allen. Smart move. (If you modify their design it's "unauthorized" and, if your bikes fly off the back it's not their fault.).
Thanks, I was looking at the Allen’s too. But I did read some reviews about them and the permanent bolt so that deterred me. Have you modified an Allen?
Old 06-09-18, 06:03 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Prorack-80624.../dp/B00BQUK3NC

I have the two bike version and it works well. A mounting screw locks it to your hitch through the hitch pin hole. The screw is removable and thus allows the hitch to be removed easily.
Old 06-09-18, 07:59 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MMKB1740
What brand bike rack did you have issue with? I know for certain that a rack made for 2 bikes isn’t going to hold four, and definitely not four safely and securely. But, I would like to travel with our bikes, so I do need a rack.
It's not a brand issue, it's mostly a frame style issue.
The "hold by the frame" style of racks end up with the bike interfering with each other. To get 3 bikes on a 3 bike rack I had to take the pedals off of all the bikes, and the front wheel off of one. To fit 4 bikes on a 4 bike rack of that style it might require removing handlebars.

Because your last 2 bikes are kids bikes it might not be such a problem for you though. I haven't tried it with kids bikes.
Old 06-09-18, 11:41 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What size receiver do you have? This one is a bit more. https://www.performancebike.com/shop...h-rack-40-0176
Old 06-10-18, 12:08 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Try Craigslist. I got a really nice Thule rack for $70. Mine is for 2 bikes because that's all I need.
Old 06-10-18, 01:35 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Bought mine through this place - KUAT 2 bike transfer hitch rack. Assembly required but pretty easy. You can but up to a four bike KUAT rack depending on your needs. Shipped to you door in like 3-4 days.

https://www.etrailer.com/Bike-Rack?g...UaAqzUEALw_wcB
Old 06-10-18, 05:53 AM
ramzilla

Originally Posted by MMKB1740

Thanks, I was looking at the Allen’s too. But I did read some reviews about them and the permanent bolt so that deterred me. Have you modified an Allen?
Yes, I've modified the Allen. It requires a 5/8" drill bit. So, you either have to borrow one or buy one. After you drill it out you can use a regular removable 5/8" hitch pin. The rack can easily be removed, folded over and, stored in the trunk. There's no way I'm going to get out two wrenches & unbolt the darn thing every time I want to put the hitch away. I put it away in the trunk after each time I use it.
Old 06-10-18, 06:10 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
It's not a brand issue, it's mostly a frame style issue.
The "hold by the frame" style of racks end up with the bike interfering with each other. To get 3 bikes on a 3 bike rack I had to take the pedals off of all the bikes, and the front wheel off of one. To fit 4 bikes on a 4 bike rack of that style it might require removing handlebars.

Because your last 2 bikes are kids bikes it might not be such a problem for you though. I haven't tried it with kids bikes.
This.I can usually fit 4 on the Graber (now Saris) but rarely can on the Yakima.
Old 06-11-18, 08:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I also used threaded pins (bolts)

one if my racks has a threaded hole, so I bought this

Swagman Anti-Wobble Threaded Hitch Pin for Universal Racks, 1/2-Inch
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J0O6S4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added this threaded pin to my other rack

Let's Go Aero (SHP 2080) 1/2" Silent Hitch Pin with Lock
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AC80T9W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also use these stability straps when I load up 4 bikes on my Swagman Titan (I use 3, top & to ea. side)

CURT 18050 Bike Rack Support Strap
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003721CC8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-11-18 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-11-18, 08:51 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I've used Allen and other types of racks, ALL have had a threaded pin to secure them to the hitch. All of them require one, 3/4", wrench to put them on and off. Drilling the hole in the rack to 5/8 and using the hitch pin will make for a very wobbly rack. The screw pin attaches the rack securely to the hitch, reducing wobble, and just using the 5/8 pin would make it easy to steal. With the screw pin the thief would have to be carrying the correct size wrench. It's not that hard to install and remove the rack using the screw pin.
Old 06-11-18, 09:37 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I also use this stability straps when I load up 4 bikes on my Swagman Titan (I use 3, top & to ea. side)

CURT 18050 Bike Rack Support Strap
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yeah, I use that same support strap with a "Yakima FullTilt 5" rack because I felt that was my best bet at being able to carry 4 bikes on the smaller 1 1/4" hitch.
However I haven't actually tried carrying 4 bikes with it yet, haven't use it with more than 3.
Old 06-11-18, 10:17 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a hitch installed on a beetle convertible. Just spent 2 hours at Uhaul (with an appointment) and left empty handed. They never got the part in.
Old 06-11-18, 11:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Anyone know where I can get a hitch installed on a beetle convertible. Just spent 2 hours at Uhaul (with an appointment) and left empty handed. They never got the part in.
wow, that must be very frustrating. I had a good experience at my uhaul install cpl yrs ago. 45 min in & out (no wiring harness) I was the 1st customer of the day & they checked that they had the part before I started waiting. maybe give them another chance? or try different uhaul shop?

good luck
Old 06-11-18, 11:31 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Swagman makes a good 2 or 4 bike wheel support hitch rack. I’m not really sure of the price now but I remember them as reasonable when I bought mine.
Old 06-11-18, 11:53 AM
InOmaha

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have an older Reese Outfitter 2" square tubing 4 bike trailer hitch rack I picked up off Craigslist for $100. It has a ball hitch which allows me to pull my trailer while I have the bikes loaded. It takes a little while to get them loaded and unloaded becuase I use the hand tightened nuts on the plates and 2 matching key padlocks to secure the bikes. If we're traveling farther with stops I'll add cables and u-locks to secure the tires when we stop. I use a locking anti-rattle bolt through the reciever. If I'm pulling the trailer I lock the ball release and lock the chains with matching key padlocks. I wouldn't but people like to steal stuff in some places so you have to make things difficult for them.

It looks like this. Ball coupler padlocks make them harder to cut.

Last edited by InOmaha; 06-11-18 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-11-18, 02:02 PM
ramzilla

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Sorry to tell you this but, going to Uhaul was your first mistake. Don't bother with Uhaul unless you're driving a standard size 1/2 ton pick up truck. Mounting a receiver on modern sedans is a very difficult operation that is beyond Uhauls capabilities. Your VW doesn't have a frame. And, if you look in your owners manual the VW company will have something in there about hitches being disapproved for use. yada, yada, yada. Regardless, there's still a couple of companies that make them that will fit. You just have to find an authorized dealer that knows how to install them. It's a difficult process that includes removal and re-installation of certain parts of the exhaust system and drilling into the car body. Make sure you find a authorized installer that will guarantee the installation.
Old 06-11-18, 02:32 PM
rumrunn6

Don't bother with Uhaul unless you're driving a standard size 1/2 ton pick up truck. Mounting a receiver on modern sedans is a very difficult operation that is beyond Uhauls capabilities

no trouble with my 2014 Jeep Cherokee

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-15-18 at 07:44 AM.