Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike computers and watches

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-19, 04:32 AM
Ride_Fast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What are the best and most economical watches and computers for cycling? Price rage 80-120$ max.
Old 03-18-19, 07:48 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Your request is too open-ended. You need to let the forum know what you want to do. You can find lots of very useful basic computers in your price range for just measuring speed and distance traveled. If you want Ant+ and / or Bluetooth connectivity or built-in GPS then there's more to consider. You can use a smartphone as a bike computer. I have no experience with that as I use a Garmin handheld GPS (Oregon 550t) with a bike mount as a bike computer as it has compatibility with Ant+ speed/cadence and heart rate sensors. You should look at Garmin, Wahoo and Cateye (there are others, but these are popular manufacturers) websites to get a feel for what features are in the marketplace and decide which features are most important to you.
Old 03-18-19, 07:50 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
It would help if you said what you actually want from it. Do you want to record your rides? In that case you need something like a Garmin Edge or Wahoo Elemnt. Or are you simply interested in recording the total mileage and seeing your speed and averages? In that case you could use something a lot cheaper like a Cateye Endura. You need to give some parameters.
Old 03-18-19, 07:56 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Myself I like the Garmin Edge 500. Not inexpensive but small and readable in bright light.
Old 03-18-19, 08:32 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
For that range Lezyne Macro GPS Bike Computer pretty good on features and reviews. $10-$15 more get color display

Old 03-18-19, 08:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Best depends on everything that only matters too you.
Old 03-18-19, 09:49 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Ah, this takes me back. Timex Velo Trak was a wristwatch with cyclocomputer functions that could be strapped to the handlebar in a mount that allowed it to function as the computer, while off the bike it served as a watch. When this came out (industry bike show in Atlantic City, about 1987, pre-Interbike) I predicted a smash hit, and the subsequent sinking of the device convinced me that I am the perfect reverse indicator for trends. Bet against me and you won't go wrong.

Old 03-18-19, 10:05 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I've been using the old Garmin Edge 200 for the past 4-5 years. It has been discontinued/replaced by The Garmin Edge 25. You can get them used for $50-$75 on eBay. I like the GPS-style computers because I can switch them from bike to bike as well as record a log of all my rides on my computer. I suppose I could use my phone for this, but I find the Edge 200 has all I need on its readout. When it dies, I'll probably get something very similar/
Old 03-18-19, 10:11 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
2 year old used smartphones.

That's the cheapest way to do this stuff.
Old 03-18-19, 10:31 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I've seen perfectly adequate simple bike computers from Bell and CatEye for $13-$28. They provide speed, moving average, moving time, trip distance, odometer distance since last battery change, and usually some indicator whether your current speed is above or below your moving average. You pay a little more for wireless, which you may or may not care about. I used to think wireless was absolutely the way to go, until I got an HID light that interfered with the communications when set to anything lower than the brightest setting.

If you need more than that the price starts going up. But there's no point paying for features you won't use.

If you need cadence, you can still get by with a basic, upgraded computer. Something in the $50 range. If you need uploads to tracking apps, you're going to start in the $80 range without cadence. Basic GPS, $120-$200 (without sensors like heart rate and cadence). GPS with mapping, $200-$300. GPS with onboard routing, $300-$600. Add sensors for cadence, HR, and other bio-metrics, another $50-$100 on top of the GPS price.

So your price range for perfectly adequate (without qualifying to us what features you need) is $13-$700. Start narrowing down what features are needed and the recommendations can be more specific.
Old 03-18-19, 11:42 AM
Ride_Fast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry about that. At my price range how many features can I get in a good quality product? I've used my phone up this point but a lot of the times I forget to turn on strava. I would like a computer or watch that automatically starts recording as soon as my bike starts moving. I would want it to have all the basic stuff like speed, cadence, heart rate, distance traveled etc. If I could also get gps along with all the basic features of a watch at that price range that would also be fantastic, but it doesn't have to be a watch.
Old 03-18-19, 11:52 AM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I have several Sigma wired bicycle computers and get all the info I want, including cadence. They can be had for under $40.00 for wired units (which I use) or slightly more for wireless. Following is an example from eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-Bicyc...4AAOSwrhNcbvha
Old 03-18-19, 10:42 PM
Ride_Fast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^Not bad. I would rather have wireless, but that seems like a really good deal for the info you get.