Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Zwift Hackers Expose the Next Generation of Cycling Doping

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 09-15-19, 10:08 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Last month, Dixon gave a 40-minute presentation at DEF CON, a popular computer security conference, called Cheating in eSports: How to Cheat at Virtual Cycling Using USB Hacks. He detailed how, with some standard hardware and an Xbox controller, he tricked the system into thinking he was humming around Watopia at race pace while doing nothing more strenuous than cracking open a beer.

“I unplug the dongle from my computer, and I plug it into the man-in-the-middle box. Then I plug the man-in-the-middle box into the computer,” Dixon said. “Once I do that, I can inspect all of the communications from my Kickr and heart-rate monitor and cadence sensor that are going to Zwift, and I can also modify those communications.”

https://www.bicycling.com/news/amp28...zwift-hacking/
Old 09-15-19, 10:19 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
There are ways to detect naive cheating (and the article makes it sound like this falls into this category) but a clever dedicated motivated cheater can almost always find a way to make detection hard.
Old 09-15-19, 11:13 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
TOTGAS.

Too old to...
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-15-19, 12:24 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
This really only impacts competition, and every organized Zwift event I've seen is at a specified location, so equipment can be constantly monitored.

If this is about KOM thievery or artificially climbing Strava leaderboards... ultra meh. A Zwift KOM is scarcely more than a party trick as it is.
Old 09-15-19, 01:02 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
What is crazy to me is that you can win more money winning a virtual race than many real world races.
Old 09-15-19, 01:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! That people take Zwift seriously though to go to the trouble, or actually race in it.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-15-19, 02:02 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Zwift's chief developer used to post here.
Old 09-15-19, 05:29 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
TOTGAS.

Too old to...
I am not old and I still DGAS!

doping on Zwift is just dumb...I could care less who is doing what on there. I am there just to bike....
Old 09-15-19, 07:03 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
This really only impacts competition, and every organized Zwift event I've seen is at a specified location, so equipment can be constantly monitored.

If this is about KOM thievery or artificially climbing Strava leaderboards... ultra meh. A Zwift KOM is scarcely more than a party trick as it is.
Lol yeah, I am busting my behind in my local routes to get to 30mph on some 1-2% descents...and then I see the leaderboards on Strava for that same stretch at 80+mph.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 09-15-19, 07:08 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
What is crazy to me is that you can win more money winning a virtual race than many real world races.
It kinda makes sense, though. There's no permits, no staffing, no outdoor venues or streets to block off-- and you needn't worry about the weather.

It's also a more level playing field (at least for now) where the genetic freaks are out there on real bikes in the real world, and comparatively normal cyclists can compete virtually.

Which is to say, I get it. I don't wanna do it, but I understand the attraction.
Old 09-15-19, 07:41 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I couldn't even get far at Frogger, and it was fun.
Old 09-15-19, 08:12 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I couldn't even get far at Frogger, and it was fun.
Now that you mention it, some days it feels like that game IRL.
Old 09-15-19, 08:37 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It kinda makes sense, though. There's no permits, no staffing, no outdoor venues or streets to block off-- and you needn't worry about the weather.

It's also a more level playing field (at least for now) where the genetic freaks are out there on real bikes in the real world, and comparatively normal cyclists can compete virtually.

Which is to say, I get it. I don't wanna do it, but I understand the attraction.
I think it is still generically advantaged individuals winning, it just takes out the additional need for bike handling skill. Some 10k guy can get on and be very competitive without really having to pay any dues. You can even have a coach telling you when to attack and sit in. All the rider really has to bring to the table is fitness.
Old 09-15-19, 09:33 PM
jbbr

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale CAAD10, Santa Cruz Cameleon, 92 Gary Fisher paragon, 94 Cannondale r400 roadie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
The whole issue of hacking/cheating in Zwift or any other unregulated game or “competition” is bogus. Yes, the platform is attempting to attain legitimacy for true competition. There will always be someone utilizing a workaround if the platform or real world competition isn’t controlled, regulated, and officiated. Even then someone will find someway.
This is a hot topic in the zwift forums. It’s surprising how many participants get twisted because someone is sandbagging, not being upgraded, or tweaking their smart hardware/software/sensors. For the vast majority, it’s simply a great way to maintain condition when riding outside sucks.
I actually look forward to getting on my indoor trainer when previously I would typically find any excuse not to.
Likes For jbbr:
Old 09-15-19, 11:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

I think it is still generically advantaged individuals winning, it just takes out the additional need for bike handling skill. Some 10k guy can get on and be very competitive without really having to pay any dues. You can even have a coach telling you when to attack and sit in. All the rider really has to bring to the table is fitness.
Or an intercept device.
Old 09-15-19, 11:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by jbbr
The whole issue of hacking/cheating in Zwift or any other unregulated game or “competition” is bogus. Yes, the platform is attempting to attain legitimacy for true competition. There will always be someone utilizing a workaround if the platform or real world competition isn’t controlled, regulated, and officiated. Even then someone will find someway.
The article complains that how this all works isn't secured. People can find a way around most systems with enough time, energy, and money; this one in particular is really easy. Zwift is a soft target.

Not that I care, I'm just clarifying. To be honest I'm more interested in this as a software developer than as a cyclist.
Old 09-15-19, 11:47 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
Lol yeah, I am busting my behind in my local routes to get to 30mph on some 1-2% descents...and then I see the leaderboards on Strava for that same stretch at 80+mph.
Flag it, clearly in a car...also, if a car can get to 80+ when Jo Bag of Donuts forgets to turn off strava after his 15km/h avg ride, what are you riding a bike on there for?
Old 09-16-19, 12:05 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Flag it, clearly in a car...also, if a car can get to 80+ when Jo Bag of Donuts forgets to turn off strava after his 15km/h avg ride, what are you riding a bike on there for?
Actually it’s surface streets in an affluent area. Speed limit I believe is 40. So they’re clearly doing it at probably 4am and praying cops aren’t hanging around there.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 09-16-19, 12:08 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
Actually it’s surface streets in an affluent area. Speed limit I believe is 40. So they’re clearly doing it at probably 4am and praying cops aren’t hanging around there.
Gotta love how people think rules don't apply to them when driving a car.
Old 09-16-19, 06:09 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I've done a ton of real world racing and a fair amount on Zwift & this is a reasonable statement. The game also really tilts the table towards riders with very high aerobic capacity, the true impact of drafting in a pack is very under simulated. It's a tough environment for a wheel sucking sprinter.

I "line up" with the attitude of trying to gain fitness & racing against the game/myself (not other riders) for me all of the various forms of "cheating" are a non-issue.

I think the future is going to require a certain number of monitored competitions for you to be a legit racer in certain classes. Anyone cheating to reach that level would be exposed in <5m of racing.

Last edited by Voodoo76; 09-16-19 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 06:13 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The article complains that how this all works isn't secured. People can find a way around most systems with enough time, energy, and money; this one in particular is really easy. Zwift is a soft target.

Not that I care, I'm just clarifying. To be honest I'm more interested in this as a software developer than as a cyclist.
It is interesting from that standpoint, as is the depressing fascination, or even preference, for things virtual over their real world counterparts. I will forward the piece to my quasi-son-in-law, who is a software developer, and would sit indoors all day, experiencing the world on his screens, subsisting on fake foods, and solipsistically monitoring his vital signs, if my daughter didn’t yank him into the daylight once in a while. In his defense, I think that’s the main reason he needs her.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-16-19, 07:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
Now that you mention it, some days it feels like that game IRL.
Funny. During my walk to work this morning I had to jump out of the way of a motorist while crossing the street legally in a crosswalk. Choice words were uttered in her direction.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-16-19, 07:33 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Electric bike on the trainer.
Old 09-16-19, 07:40 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Gyro
Electric bike on the trainer.
Brilliant.
Old 09-16-19, 08:31 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
People will always find a way to cheat, no matter the activity or medium. I bought a trainer last winter when I first started riding, and never even took it out of the box, so I returned it to the store. Decided I'd rather ride in the cold than in the garage. But there's also only a few days in the winter where it's not safe to ride around here due to ice, the rest is just dealing with the temps. If I was up north, I'd def have a nice trainer setup with a big screen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.