Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting grumpy when unable to ride

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-24-19, 09:28 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

Due to life getting in the way of riding, I haven't been on my bike in over two weeks. I have noticed that my overall attitude is starting to hit the crapper and I can only chalk it up to not being able to get out on my bike. I've been able to do other physical activities, just not hit the open road - on trails for mountain biking.

Anyone else have this? We can call it Bicycle Affected Disorder or BADS for short.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 09-24-19, 10:55 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I recently have started riding again and really look forward to it.

When I have a ride planned and something (work, wife or kid related) comes up and I don't get to, I get a bit grumpy about it....
Same with shooting, I like to shoot every other weekend if not every, if two or more weeks go by and I've not had my trigger time, I get grumpy... If I miss any of the carious competitions I like to shoot in, I get really grumpy..
Old 09-24-19, 10:56 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
me: god, why do people even feel compelled to n+1? one road bike is all you need
me when my bike is in the shop and I'm desperate to get my daily ride in: oh
Old 09-24-19, 11:02 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Yes. It started happening to me when I moved to Upstate NY and the crappy winters kept me off my MTB for 6 months each winter, and I don't like long road rides when it is freezing cold out (short commutes are fine).

The cure was a fat bike to ride trails in the winter. My wife tells me that I became much nicer to be around after that.
Old 09-24-19, 11:02 AM
krazebill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need multiples of each style you ride! 2 or more Road bikes, 2 Mtn Bikes, a gravel bike and a recreational bike!
Old 09-24-19, 11:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
BADS is a good name for the affliction. I knew I had it bad one summer. After a spring of my wife griping about being a bicycle widow, work, bad weather, etc. meant I hadn't been riding for over a week, and she told me one Saturday morning, "Just go for a bike ride!" I was apparently much more pleasant when I got back home.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-24-19, 01:39 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Yes, I get grumpy when I can't ride. It's mostly due to rain, cold or fog. (I commute a good 17+ miles each way), and other times when family matters get in the way. I think of bicycling as my new smoking: I need to bike after I stuff my belly with food too. I get cranky when
I can't ride often.
Likes For restlessswind:
Old 09-25-19, 06:56 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
...I haven't been on my bike in over two weeks. I have noticed that my overall attitude is starting to hit the crapper...
Two WEEKS?
I commute most days and I get BADS after two DAYS off the bike.
Old 09-25-19, 07:01 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If no one has seen me on a bike in two weeks, I've been abducted or I'm dead. I can barely go 48 hours between rides.
Old 09-25-19, 07:06 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts

I think of bicycling as my new smoking: I need to bike after I stuff my belly with food too.
Quote of the day.
Old 09-25-19, 07:35 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Due to life getting in the way of riding, I haven't been on my bike in over two weeks. I have noticed that my overall attitude is starting to hit the crapper and I can only chalk it up to not being able to get out on my bike. I've been able to do other physical activities, just not hit the open road - on trails for mountain biking.

Anyone else have this? We can call it Bicycle Affected Disorder or BADS for short.
Yes, very much during the winter months. Around February or March I really get antsy and want to get back on on the bike. I do still ride until the temperature gets down to around freezing, and then I have a trainer I can put my bike on. But it's just not the same as actually getting on the bike and riding somewhere.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-25-19, 08:46 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yes, very much during the winter months. Around February or March I really get antsy and want to get back on on the bike. I do still ride until the temperature gets down to around freezing, and then I have a trainer I can put my bike on. But it's just not the same as actually getting on the bike and riding somewhere.
I'm the same. If the roads in the local cemetery are ice free, I load up the bike and ride four mile figure eight's until it to cold to continue.
Old 09-25-19, 08:55 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've ridden once in the past month or so due to 2 bad hamstrings (baseball) and family issues. Yes, I'm crabby about it...but I hope to get out this Friday.
Old 09-25-19, 09:54 AM
NoWhammies

Well it is good to know I am not alone in this. What's worse, is that I have recently bought a mountain bike for the express purpose of getting out on a bike during the winter months. But I have yet to ride the bike. The bike is just sitting there in the garage, tempting me. Oh life can be so cruel!
Old 09-25-19, 03:04 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
One that that made it rough this year was all the rain we had. It has been an exceptionally wet year, and we even had flooding around our town since the river came way up on one side of town, and a creek on the other side of town which flows into the river. Luckily the highways never got covered (though we expected them to be) but a lot of the rural roads were flooded. But just when I thought I might be able to ride, we'd get more rain.
Old 09-25-19, 05:49 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I definitely suffer from BADS.

My problem is that it's not enough to simply ride a bike for a bit - it has to be a good effort to keep my BADS at bay. Preferably rides with some zippy descents and/or the possibility of pushing myself to the point of near vomit.

Last winter, I got BADS - despite doing my short commute and errands around my small town by bike. With the polar vortex and way too much ice and snow, I couldn't let 'er rip. A trainer (something I said I'd never use) helped...a bit. There was also a rough two weeks or so over the summer due to a cross-country move while also being a bit injured. In both cases, getting back on the bike improved my mood and my relationships with others significantly.
Old 09-25-19, 06:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I'm fine off the bike as long as I'm anticipating it. The thing that gets me is having the plan and then having the plan dashed.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-25-19, 10:04 PM
NoWhammies

Finally! Made it out for a 10k mountain bike ride after work. Felt good to be out again.
Old 09-25-19, 11:44 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
We had new driveway, patio and walkways replaced almost a week ago. With moving plants, touching up paint, and general yard cleanup, I've only been on the bike twice the last couple of weeks. Its been 90° or higher most days this week, so working in the yard hasn't been too much fun. This whole post sounds pretty whiny, so here's mine. There is a club ride tomorrow, one of my favorite rides. I did get out on the old Peugeot for a great ride Sunday, mo problem. This afternoon I went out to check the Pug for tomorrow's ride, and found BOTH tires flat. They both made it home from a 37 mile ride Sunday. I haven't touched the bike all week - both flat tonight. I'm tired and have more paintng and cleanup to do, and was considering skipping tomorrow's ride. The flat tires sealed the deal. The only thing worse than yardwork and painting is wrestling TWO Panaracer Paselas off and back on the rim. 😡 Yes, I'm grumpy, but you asked for it.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 09-27-19 at 09:06 PM.